Re: [jacksongenealogy] SAMUEL AND MARY TAYLOR 1850 CENSUS FRANKLIN Co. TN

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Shirley

      Tried to send you the info and images but your IP said you were over quota. So here are the transcripts. Samuel and Mary Taylor were not listed in Crow Creek Valley in Jackson Co. AL 1850 but in Franklin Co. TN. The Crow Creek Valley extends northward into TN. I have posted links to maps of that area on jacksongenealogy before. Don't know if Crow Creek Valley is in Districk 13.
      These are probably your Taylors though Samuel is listed as 85 not 80 and Mary's birth state as TEN not KY. I take a lot of things on the census with a grain of salt, since you do not know who is answering the questions. If no one was home they asked a neighbor, they did not come around a second time. Some Native American families took to the woods/hills when the census taker came around as did a lot of others because the census taker at that time was usually a deputy US Marshall. The most common errors are in ages and states of birth. A lot of people back then, if there was no bible record, just did not know and having a bible record was no guarantee that they are right on the census either. Someone wrote to me their g-grandaunt had found the secret to eternal youth in the census as on each one she subtracted 5 years from her actual age. Though some people added years.

      1850 US Census Dist. 13 Franklin Co. TN
      House 1450 Family 1450
      Samuel Taylor 85 Male Farmer TEN
      Mary Taylor 75 Female TEN

      House 1451 Family 1451
      M. T. Taylor 22 Male Farmer TEN
      Sarah 19 Female TEN
      Mary 2 Female TEN

      House 1452 Family 1452
      George M.? Taylor 36 Farmer TEN

      I would assume George is a son and M.T. a grandson. Perhaps they stayed behind because Samuel and Mary could not travel.

      Try the tngenweb site and click on Franklin County to see what they have for cemetery listings. Jackson Co. has search-able cemetery listings at it algenweb site. Search is by last name so if it's is a common name can be a long search. After you click on the cemetery name use the Find On This Page search feature on Edit. Many people back then were buried on the farm in family cemeteries with unmarked graves.

      Let me know when you can accept the Images.