Re: [jacksongenealogy] SARRATT'S

  • lois hannah
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2004
      Clay, thanks for replying.
      My line is Jonathan Sarratt, b.abt 1821 N.C. I believe he is buried in
      Sarratt Cemetary in Jackson County. His wife was Dellila ? She was supposed
      to be Cherokee Indian, I think, is there any way to check on her last name?
      Boston Eli is one of Jonathan's children, he was my ggrandfather.
      The notes I have says, Dellila and husband are 2 & 3 on indian family
      heritage chart 14. Does anyone know what this means?
      Does anyone have any information on the name Shew?
      Thanks for any information.
      Lois Hannah

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi, I found no Sarratts on the entire 1830 US census,on the 1840 US census
        I only found Saratts in South Carolina. Ron Akins

      • SHEILA MCCLOUD
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
          Sometimes it is spelled Surrat

          Mindy Akins <ronney46@...> wrote:Hi, I found no Sarratts on the entire 1830 US census,on the 1840 US census
          I only found Saratts in South Carolina. Ron Akins

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
            Lois

            Here are the Surrats on the 1860 Cherokee Co. and 1870 Jackson Co. Census. Boston is listed on the 1880 Census in Marion Co. AR see transript at www.familysearch.org also. Names spelled as they appear on the census. If you want can email the census images.

            1860 US Census Third Dist. Blue Pond PO Cherokee Co. AL
            House 74 Family 74
            Johanathan Sarrott 39 Carriagemaker NC
            Dlila 41 NC
            Boston E. 19 Farming
            Simion P. 16 Farming
            Nance E. 14
            Daniel J. 13
            Randald R. 11
            Elvira P. 8
            Rachael H. 7
            Delia R. 4

            1870 US Census Dist 11 SubDiv. 1 Bellefonte PO, Jackson Co. AL
            House 19 Family 20
            Johathan M. Surratt 50 Blacksmith NC
            Delila 42 Keeping House NC
            Nancy E. 25 At Home AL
            Randol P. 21 Work on Farm AL
            Elvria 19 At School
            Rachel 17 At School
            Delia 14 At School

            House 21 Family 22
            Boston E. Surratt 29 Work On Farm AL
            Mercilla 25 Keeping House AL
            Eliza 8 AL
            Daniel 5 AL
            Jane 1 AL

            1880 US Census Marion Co. AR
            Boston E. Surratt 39 Farmer AL AL AL
            Mircille 35 Wife Keeping House GA GA GA
            Eliza 17 Dau At Home AL AL GA
            Daniel 14 Son AL AL GA
            Jane 11 Dau AL AL GA
            Preston 7 Sone Al AL GA
            Ann 1 Dau ARK AL GA
            G. V. Burklis 66 Boarder Farmer MO UKN UKN

            From Boston's birth 1841 AL they should be on the 1850 census but have not found them so far. It appears from the 1870 and 1880 census the way they spelled the surname was Surratt.

            Clay Gullatt Mount Airy NC

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
              Lois

              Here is the 1850 .

              1850 US Census Dist. 26 Cherokee Co. AL
              Johathan M. Saratt 29 Blacksmith NC
              Dillia 27 NC
              Boston E. 8 AL
              Simon P 6 AL
              Nancy C. 5
              Daniel J. 2
              Randell 1

              Alabama Marriages
              Daniel J. Surratt married Rachael Hass 24 Dec 1867 Jackson Co. AL
              Randal P. Surratt married A. M. Stanfield 15 Apr 1872 Jackson Co. AL

              Looked in both NC and AL for marriage record for Jonathan and Delilah. There are very few early marriage records for NC.
              No listing for a Jonathan Surratt by any spelling on the 1840. If he was not married he would be listed with his father. Census before 1850 listed only head of household and number of males/females in each age group. If Jonathan is a family name, passed down with each generation, there is a Jonathan Surratt listed on the 1810 census for Rowan Co. NC.

            • lois hannah
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
                Clay, Thank you so very much. This is a great genealogy group. All of the
                information is very helpful. I do believe Johathan's father was named
                Jonathan, but I am not positive about that. I would love to find the
                marriage record for Jonathan and Delilia, but I know that probably isn't
                going to happen.
                Thanks again
                Lois Hannah
                Tulsa, OK

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Sheila

                    Don't know. There is nothing on the marriage index showing she remarried to one of them.

                  • SHEILA MCCLOUD
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 4, 2004
                      I may just be thinking wrong but I thought I had seen one of them living in her household in one of the census records...1880 1890, maybe. Myabe I am mistaken. There is some connection though to James McLeod (McCloud).

                      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:Sheila