Stephens

  • Betty Durrenberger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
      I am interested in SUTTON STEPHENS and believe his father was Josiah Stephens Sr.

      The following is just about all the information I have on his father Josiah Sr.:

      Josiah Stephens (b. c. 1770, SC) first married a Sutton girl and later married Nancy Vann.

      In 1812, Josiah Stephens entered the war in Franklin Co., TN, and in 1840 he was living in Jackson Co., AL.

      On 12-28-1819 Josiah Stephens sold 80 acres on Taylors Creek in Franklin Co., TN.

    • altafae@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
        I have some of this family that I continue to find road blocks. Now there is
        a Henry Stephens in Franklin Co., TN in the 1810, and I need to see where he
        fits into this clan. I have collected various Stephens information as you
        will see in my notes - yet the family is still not coming together with any logic
        - let me know if any of this information is of use to you, I have no Sutton
        in my database of Stephens and my primary research Stephens are:

        Ellis Stephens father of Solomon Stephens who married Nancy Brazier, and my
        ggg grandmother Elizabeth "Miss Betsy" Stephens who authors have said was the
        aunt to Solomon.

        (Speculated Family of)
        Josiah Stephens, Senior
        First Generation

        1. Josiah Stephens was born in 1770 in North Carolina. He died on 26
        Jun 1848 in Jackson Co., Alabama.

        Second Census of the United States 1800 - NAM M32 Roll 47 Mahon Library,
        Lubbock, Texas.

        Page 258
        590. Izaah Stephens 30110-11010 Son-in-law of Thomas Henderson of Laurens.
        1814 sold land bridge of South Tyger beg. red oak #573 line.

        Page 260
        684. Elisha Stephens (1790) 42010-10010 From Wilkes Co., NC? m Sarah Trible
        Jul 1784 Wilkes Co.? (1810 Pend.?)

        By 1812, Josiah and Nancy Van Stephens were living in Tennessee. He entered
        the War of 1812 on December 12, 1812 under the command of Captain George
        Caperton's Company of the Tennessee and served until February, 1813.

        After the war, Josiah helped cut a road in the service of Andrew Jackson
        which ran from Columbia, Tennessee, through Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and then
        diagonally across Mississippi until it reached Madisonville, Louisiana. This road,
        called "Jackson's Military Road", was built between the years of 1816 and 1820.

        Josiah married (1) FNU Sutton about 1788.

        Josiah married (2) Nancy Vann daughter of Luke Vann on 20 Dec 1796 in
        Edgefield Co., South Carolina. Nancy was born in 1772 in South Carolina. She died on
        21 Sep 1857 in Oran, Palo Pinto Co., Texas.

        Nancy was living with her son, William, in Jackson County, Alabama in 1850 -
        Jackson County Census Page 127a.

        Josiah and Nancy had the following children:

        2 M i. John William Stephens was born in 1797 in Greenville,
        South Carolina. He died in 1857 in Mississippi. He was buried in 1857 in
        Blythe's Chapel. John married Margaret LNU. Margaret was born in 1800 in Virginia.

        3 M ii. William H. Stephens was born in 1799 in Edgefield
        Co., South Carolina. He died on 17 Sep 1858 in Jackson Co., Alabama.

        Jackson County Alabama - 1850 Agricultural Census
        These are the items represented and separated by a comma; for example John
        Doe,

        20, 25, 10, 5,100

        1. Owner
        2. Acres of Improved Land
        3. Acres of Unimproved Land
        4. Cash Value of Farm
        5. Value of Farm Implements and Machinery
        13. Value of Livestock

        William Stephens, 160, 400, 2500, 90, 1000

        1819 Settlers on Indian Lands - Jackson Co., Alabama and Marion Co.,
        Tennessee:

        Stephens, William - 3rd petition
        Stephens, William

        William married Sarah "Sallie" Phillips on 28 May 1821 in Jackson Co.,
        Alabama.

        4 M iii. Ellis Stephens was born in 1800 in North Carolina.

        Held Homestead Certificate 22561 for SENE AND NESE 5/ 3S 5E Huntsville,
        Alabama, Jackson County.

        Inward Slave Manifests for the Port of New Orleans - Roll 12, 1837-1839

        #184 - Port Apalachicola
        Schooner Junius
        Master: Stephens, Ellis
        O/S: Alexander S. Green on board
        Date: 25 January 1838

        Slaves:
        Harry m 50 5-5 Negro
        Jerry " 15 5-1 Mulatto
        Dilsey f 39 5-5 Negro

        Land Record for ELLIS STEPHENS
        Name: ELLIS STEPHENS
        Date: 02 04 1857
        Location: AL,
        Document #: 22561
        Serial #: AL3740__.170
        Sale Type: CASH ENTRY SALE
        Acres: 79.7500
        Meridian or Watershed: HUNTSVILLE
        Parcel: Township 3S, Range 5E, Section 5

        Civil War Record for Ellis Stephens
        Name: Ellis Stephens
        Pvt in the 3rd Cavalry (KY/Union)

        Jackson County Alabama - 1850 Agricultural Census
        These are the items represented and separated by a comma; for example John
        Doe,
        20, 25, 10, 5,100
        1. Owner
        2. Acres of Improved Land
        3. Acres of Unimproved Land
        4. Cash Value of Farm
        5. Value of Farm Implements and Machinery
        13. Value of Livestock

        Ellis Stephens, 100, 120, 1000, 25, 145

        Ellis married Rebecca LNU in 1826 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Rebecca was born
        in 1802 in South Carolina.

        5 M iv. Dow Stephens was born in 1813 in Tennessee.

        Jackson County Alabama - 1850 Agricultural Census
        These are the items represented and separated by a comma; for example John
        Doe,
        20, 25, 10, 5,100
        1. Owner
        2. Acres of Improved Land
        3. Acres of Unimproved Land
        4. Cash Value of Farm
        5. Value of Farm Implements and Machinery
        13. Value of Livestock

        Dow Stephens, 40, 160, 500, 60, 400

        Dow married Ann LNU.

        6 F v. Martha Stephens was born in 1815 in Tennessee. Martha
        married Unknown.

        7 M vi. Josiah Stephens Jr. was born on 2 Feb 1816 in
        Franklin Co., Tennessee. He died on 12 Feb 1879 in Jackson Co., Alabama. He was
        buried in 1879 in Kirkville Cemetery, Kirkville, Mississippi. Josiah married
        Nancy Midlock Mitchell about 1839 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Nancy was born on 29
        Aug 1820 in Jackson Co., Alabama. She died on 12 Nov 1892 in Itawamba Co.
        Mississippi. She was buried in 1892 in Kirkville Cemetery, Kirkville, Mississippi.

        I am looking for the parents of Josiah Stephens and Nancy Midlock Mitchell
        Stephens. I am assuming Nancy's parents were of the last name of "Midlock."

        Submitted by : Karen Sedlecky - Email : Ladykdee@... - Date: 1/27/99

        8 F vii. Elizabeth "Miss. Betsy" Stephens was born in 1824.
        She died in Dec 1884 in Jackson Co., Alabama. [SPECULITIVE NO PROOF AS TO
        DAUGHTER OF JOSIAH STEPHENS, SR., but said to be sister to Ellis Stephens, NO
        PROOF AS to Ellis being a son either – STILL UNDER RESEARCH.]

        The four youngest children are in the household of William and Elizabeth
        Messer in 1870; Elizabeth, the older daughter, m.2. 3 Feb 1869, William Messer.
        William Messer, m.1. Sarah Elizabeth, b. 1824, AL, d. 1862-68; they had
        children: James, 1843; John, 1845; Mary, 1847; Jesse, 1848; Allen J. Messer, b. Mar
        1850, m. 4 Jan 1871, Louisa C. Brazier, d/o Elijah Sr and Bettie Stephens;
        David, 1859; Susanna, 1855; Martha J., 1857; Sarah, 1860; and Louisa, 1862.

        1870 Census, Jackson Co, AL: p. 116b, #686,

        William Messer, 52, b. TN,
        Big Coon Post Office:
        Elizabeth, 47, b. AL,
        George Brasher 21, b. AL,
        c1849, laborer)
        Louisa C. Brasher 15, b. AL,
        c1855
        Elijah Brasher 11, b. AL,
        c1859
        Solomon Brasher 9, b. AL,
        c1861

        Brazier, Betsy to William Messer; Date: 03 Feb 1869 Page 711 Line 1195;
        William Messer. Brazier, Betsy to William Messer; Date: 03 Feb 1869 Page 711
        Line 1195

        Elizabeth married (1) Elijah Brazier Jr. son of Elijah Brazier Sr. about 1842
        in Jackson Co., Alabama. Elijah was born in 1800 in South Carolina. He died
        before 1868 in Jackson Co., Alabama.

        Jackson, AL 1850 Federal Census File 4 of 5
        5 534 534 Brazier Elijah
        50 M Farmer South Carolina
        6 534 534 Brazier
        Elizabeth- 28 F Alabama
        7 534 534 Brazier
        Nancy 18 F Alabama
        8 534 534 Brazier
        Hart 15 M Laborer Alabama
        9 534 534 Brazier
        Martha 13 F Alabama
        10 534 534 Brazier
        William 7 M Alabama
        11 534 534 Brazier
        Jane 4 F Alabama
        12 534 534 Brazier
        Ellis 3 M Alabama
        13 534 534 Brazier
        George W.- 1 M Alabama
        14 535 535 Brazier Elijah
        74 M None NC X

        Elijah Brazier Sr died in the 1860's. "His wife, Miss Bettie Stephens,
        brought the children to years of maturity and passed away at the old home in
        December 1884" (Hist No & West Texas, data collected by Dan Yarbrough). The four
        youngest children are in the household of William and Elizabeth Messer in 1870;
        Elizabeth, the widow of Elijah Brazier, Jr. , m.2. 3 Feb 1869, William Messer.
        William Messer, m.1. Sarah Elizabeth, b. 1824, AL, d. 1862-68; they had
        children: James, 1843; John, 1845; Mary, 1847; Jesse, 1848; Allen J. Messer, b.
        Mar 1850, m. 4 Jan 1871, Louisa C. Brazier, d/o Elijah Sr and Bettie Stephens;
        David, 1859; Susanna, 1855; Martha J., 1857; Sarah, 1860; and Louisa, 1862.

        Other Jackson County Brazier or another child of Elijah Brazier, Jr.:
        Medcalf, F. M. to
        Mary Ann Brazier - 31 Mar 1869 P.738 L.1239

        Brazier Families in the surrounding Alabama Counties:

        Marshall County, ALABAMA: 1850 Census Index

        BRAZIER 197B

        Sumter County, ALABAMA: 1840 Census Index

        BRAZIER 147

        Elizabeth married (2) William Messer son of Jacob Messer and Sarah "Sallie"
        LNU on 3 Feb 1869 in Jackson Co., Alabama. William was born in 1823 in Hawkins
        Co., Tennessee.

        William fought in the 1st Alabama Calvary for the Confederacy with his two
        sons John
        Wesley and Jesse, also his brother Henry A.J. "Jack" Messer.

        Jackson County Marriage Book: Brazier, Betsy to William Messer’s; 03 Feb
        1869 P.
        711 L. 1195

        http://www.rcasey.net/shelton/shestart.htm

        County,
        Tennessee, 1818; 2) Will of Christian Messer, Hawkins County, Tennessee,
        1821; 3)
        Deed, John Messer to Isaac Messer, Hawkins County, Tennessee, 1834; 4)
        1840,
        1850 and 1880 census, Jackson County, Alabama; 5) 1880 Census, Scott
        County,
        Virginia; 6) Family Bible of John Shelton, in possession of Eva (Wininger)
        Shelton; 7)
        1850 Census of Jackson County, Alabama, copied by Pauline (Jones) Gandrud,
        1953,
        located in the Scottsboro Public Library; 8) Family Group Sheet by Sheryl
        (Sellers)
        Anderson, 1971; 9) "The Annals of Haywood County, North Carolina," by W. C.
        Allen,
        1935, Pages 532 - 539; 10) Letter, Louise (Messer) Patrick to Robert Casey,
        April 7, 1988.

      • Helen Bailey
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
          I am researching Williams in Jackson County. My great great Grandfather was William G. Williams who married a Margaret Elizabeth Stephens/Stevens about 1840. They had several children and were living in Marshall county in 1850. She died about 1856 and William G. Williams married a second time to Elizabeth Jane (Naylor) Capshaw. Don't know who her parents were only that she did have a younger sister Francis Stephens/Stevens. Ring a bell with anyone out there?

          Helen
          Phil 4:4

          Betty Durrenberger <bjdurrenberger@...> wrote:
          I am interested in SUTTON STEPHENS and believe his father was Josiah Stephens Sr.

          The following is just about all the information I have on his father Josiah Sr.:

          Josiah Stephens (b. c. 1770, SC) first married a Sutton girl and later married Nancy Vann.

          In 1812, Josiah Stephens entered the war in Franklin Co., TN, and in 1840 he was living in Jackson Co., AL.

          On 12-28-1819 Josiah Stephens sold 80 acres on Taylors Creek in Franklin Co., TN.

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
            In a message dated 1/6/2004 6:26:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            mousie35902@... writes:
            Margaret Elizabeth Stephens/Stevens
            I cannot tell you if your combination of daughters would not be present, it
            seems that Stephens are as hard as Smiths, many came from two direction - one
            branch came from Virginia, then NC, SC, GA, TN, the Jackson AL, then last night
            I discovered another group coming down from Canada around the Revolutionary
            War and moved into the CT and NY area and met up in VA with the rest - there
            was also a Henry Stephens in Nashville in 1810 who must have been the
            information to the NC clan to move to the new territories vacated by the Indians. Let
            me know if this helps I will keep a look out for your Margaret as I continue my
            Brick Wall. Here are my Margaret's:

            FNU Stephens
            First Generation

            1. FNU Stephens. FNU married Sarah LNU . Sarah was born in 1771 in
            Ireland. They had the following children:

            2 M i. Monroe Stephens was born in 1827 in South Carolina.

            3 M ii. George Stephens was born in 1829 in South Carolina.

            4 F iii. Penelope Stephens was born in 1832 in South Carolina.

            5 M iv. John Stephens was born in 1834 in South Carolina.

            6 M v. Madison Stephens was born in 1835 in Alabama.

            7 F vi. Mary Stephens was born in 1837 in Alabama.

            8 F vii. Margaret Stephens was born in 1840 in Alabama.

            9 F viii. Nancy A. Stephens was born in 1845 in Alabama.

            First Generation

            1. Pierce Stephens was born in 1788 in South Carolina.

            He had the following children:

            2 F i. Lucinda Stephens was born in 1812 in Georgia.

            3 F ii. Mary Stephens was born in 1828 in Alabama.

            4 M iii. Eaton Stephens was born in 1834 in North
            Carolina.

            5 M iv. Robert M. Stephens was born in 1834 in Alabama.

            6 F v. Margaret Stephens was born in 1841 in Alabama.

            Dow Stephens
            First Generation

            1. Dow Stephens was born in 1813 in Tennessee.

            Jackson County Alabama - 1850 Agricultural Census
            These are the items represented and separated by a comma; for example John
            Doe, 20, 25, 10, 5,100
            1. Owner
            2. Acres of Improved Land
            3. Acres of Unimproved Land
            4. Cash Value of Farm
            5. Value of Farm Implements and Machinery
            13. Value of Livestock
            Dow Stephens, 40, 160, 500, 60, 400

            Dow married Ann LNU. They had the following children:

            2 M i. Alexander Stephens was born in 1840 in Alabama.

            3 F ii. Caroline Stephens was born in 1841 in Alabama.

            4 M iii. William Stephens was born in 1840 in Alabama.

            5 F iv. Sarah Stephens was born in 1844 in Alabama.

            6 F v. Margaret Stephens was born in 1848 in Alabama.

            My Francis:

            Robert F. Stephens
            First Generation

            1. Robert F. Stephens was born in 1820 in Alabama. Robert married
            Angeline LNU . Angeline was born in 1829 in Alabama. They had the following
            children:

            2 F i. Frances Stephens was born in 1844 in Mississippi.

            John Stephens
            First Generation

            1. John Stephens died about 22 Oct 1810.

            Jackson County Alabama - 1850 Agricultural Census
            These are the items represented and separated by a comma; for example John
            Doe, 20, 25, 10, 5,100
            1. Owner
            2. Acres of Improved Land
            3. Acres of Unimproved Land
            4. Cash Value of Farm
            5. Value of Farm Implements and Machinery
            13. Value of Livestock

            John B. Stephens, 200, 230, 1000, 150, 700

            John married Lucy LNU. They had the following children:

            2 M i. Zachariah Stephens was born on 8 Feb 1787 in South
            Carolina. He died on 2 Oct 1881 in Itawamba Co., Mississippi. He was buried in
            Stephens Cemetery, Itawamba Co., Mississippi. Zachariah married Teletha
            "Tabitha" G. Powell . Teletha was born in 1799 in South Carolina. She died on 9 Aug
            1872 in Itawamba Co., Mississippi. She was buried in 1872 in Stephens Cemetery,
            Itawamba Co., Mississippi.

            3 M ii. Edward Stephens.

            4 F iii. Susannah Stephens.

            5 M iv. Jeremiah Stephens.

            6 F v. Rebeckah Stephens was born in 1793 in North Carolina.
            Rebeckah married FNU Clampit.

            7 F vi. Frances Stephens.

            8 M vii. Joseph Stephens.

            9 M viii. William Stephens.

            10 F ix. Nancy Stephens.

            11 F x. Elizabeth Stephens.

            William H. Stephens
            First Generation

            1. William H. Stephens was born in 1799 in Edgefield Co., South
            Carolina. He died on 17 Sep 1858 in Jackson Co., Alabama.

            Jackson County Alabama - 1850 Agricultural Census
            These are the items represented and separated by a comma; for example John
            Doe, 20, 25, 10, 5,100
            1. Owner
            2. Acres of Improved Land
            3. Acres of Unimproved Land
            4. Cash Value of Farm
            5. Value of Farm Implements and Machinery
            13. Value of Livestock

            William Stephens, 160, 400, 2500, 90, 1000

            1819 Settlers on Indian Lands - Jackson Co., Alabama and Marion Co.,
            Tennessee:

            Stephens, William - 3rd petition
            Stephens, William

            William married Sarah "Sallie" Phillips on 28 May 1821 in Jackson Co.,
            Alabama. They had the following children:

            2 M i. Miles V. Stephens was born in 1831 in Jackson Co.,
            Alabama.

            3 F ii. Francis D. Stephens was born in 1833 in Jackson Co.,
            Alabama.

            4 M iii. Marion Stephens was born in 1835 in Jackson Co.,
            Alabama.

            5 M iv. Whitfield M Stephens was born in 1837 in Jackson
            Co., Alabama.