History of Section, AL

  • Gubasemia@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29, 1999
      I have just returned from a very productive trip to Section, AL. My gr gr
      Uncle Johnny Neeley, who lives in Section, told me about the book being
      written by Mr. Campbell. He was gathering information for it and was so
      pleased that I had more information to include. He still lives on the
      Homestead of his father, and my gr gr grandfather, William M. Neeley. He is
      almost 85 and is so interesting. I don't know who enjoyed our visit the most,
      Uncle Johnny or me. He did not know much about his father so we shared what
      we knew. We both gained a lot. I spent ten days in the state of Alabama and
      everyone I met there was extremely nice and very helpful. A lady at the drug
      store in the back of a grocery store in Section made copies for me and did
      not charge me a penny. Talk about "Southern Hospitality". It was wonderful.

      Darlene
    • myopicme2001
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
        Good Morning,All!

        Does anyone have a copy of an article that (I think) was published in a Jackson Co. paper years ago that was written about the history of Section? I seem to remember it was a long article. Mr. Harry Campbell was working on a Section history years ago, but I'm not sure if this was his work. I now live in Section, and my Mother's family (Hancock, Story, Fossett, Privett, and Jett) are all long time residents of this area.
        Thank You,
        Cynthia Robbins
      • jackman_0645
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 17, 2009
          Mrs Robbins
          Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
          John Larry Hamilton

          In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "myopicme2001" <imreader@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning,All!
          >
          > Does anyone have a copy of an article that (I think) was published in a Jackson Co. paper years ago that was written about the history of Section? I seem to remember it was a long article. Mr. Harry Campbell was working on a Section history years ago, but I'm not sure if this was his work. I now live in Section, and my Mother's family (Hancock, Story, Fossett, Privett, and Jett) are all long time residents of this area.
          > Thank You,
          > Cynthia Robbins

        • Cyntbia
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
            My grandmother's family, the Stringer family, also came from Section. Also, part of Evans family was from there, too. I noticed you have listed the name Fossett. Was one of your Fossett family ancestors named Phebe or Phoebe? On my grandmother's side, a Mamie Stringer married a Calvin Evans, who we think is the son of David Evans and Phebe Fossett. Calvin and Mamie moved to the Sweetwater, Texas area.
            If we match, I'd love to share information.

            Cindy Pugliese

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Lynn Wilson" <tlwilson@... wrote:

            > Hi to all. I'm new to the list & just read a post re: Mr. Harry Campbell's
            > book on the history of Section. He is in the process of gathering
            > information about the early families & history of the area.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Tracy Fossett Wilson
            > Jackson County, AL

          • myopicme2001
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

              > Mrs Robbins
              > Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
              > John Larry Hamilton
              >

              > Mr. Hamilton,
              Decoration at Bluff is the 4th Sunday in May. I asked my MIL and the only Hamilton she knew was Mrs. Elne Bell Hamilton, wife of Luther Hamilton. I remember Mrs. Elne sitting in her recliner near the heater at Bethany Baptist Church when I was a girl. MIL cannot remember all of Elne and Luther's children, but she's thinks there was a set of twin girls and a boy(Puz?)who became a game warden.
              Cynthia Robbins
            • myopicme2001
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cyntbia" <cynthia.pugliese@...> wrote:

                > My grandmother's family, the Stringer family, also came from Section. Also, part of Evans family was from there, too. I noticed you have listed the name Fossett. Was one of your Fossett family ancestors named Phebe or Phoebe? On my grandmother's side, a Mamie Stringer married a Calvin Evans, who we think is the son of David Evans and Phebe Fossett. Calvin and Mamie moved to the Sweetwater, Texas area.
                > If we match, I'd love to share information.
                >
                > Cindy Pugliese

                Cindy,
                The name Phebe doesn't ring any bells for me. A few years ago, Tracy Wilson was doing Fossett research. Perhaps she might be able to help you.
                Cynthia
              • Richard Matthews
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
                  I knew the twin Hamilton girls, Peg and Pam I think. They were a few years
                  ahead of me in school so they would be late 60's now I think

                  --
                  Richard Matthews

                • jackman_0645
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
                    Yes Your MIL is correct Luther and his son is buried not far from my father and mother so is Raford the Game Warden. I remember the twin girls as well one was struck by lightning. I hope that is the same day as clean up day at Bluff cemetery. Thank you for your information. I hope to come to Bluff cemetery on that day
                    JLH

                    -- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "myopicme2001" <imreader@...> wrote:

                    > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Mrs Robbins
                    > > Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
                    > > John Larry Hamilton
                    > >

                    > > Mr. Hamilton,
                    > Decoration at Bluff is the 4th Sunday in May. I asked my MIL and the only Hamilton she knew was Mrs. Elne Bell Hamilton, wife of Luther Hamilton. I remember Mrs. Elne sitting in her recliner near the heater at Bethany Baptist Church when I was a girl. MIL cannot remember all of Elne and Luther's children, but she's thinks there was a set of twin girls and a boy(Puz?)who became a game warden.
                    > Cynthia Robbins

                  • jackman_0645
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
                      -Did you know Billy Ferguson? He would come to Harriman and stay the weekend when he was going to college at Cookville Tn. He also taught school for a while at South Harriman elementary school where he gave me the first paddling I ever got.
                      JLH

                      -- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews <messabout@...> wrote:

                      > I knew the twin Hamilton girls, Peg and Pam I think. They were a few years
                      > ahead of me in school so they would be late 60's now I think
                      >
                      > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM, myopicme2001 <imreader@...>wrote:
                      >

                      > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com<jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Mrs Robbins
                      > > > Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from
                      > > Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
                      > > > John Larry Hamilton
                      > > >

                      > > > Mr. Hamilton,
                      > > Decoration at Bluff is the 4th Sunday in May. I asked my MIL and the only
                      > > Hamilton she knew was Mrs. Elne Bell Hamilton, wife of Luther Hamilton. I
                      > > remember Mrs. Elne sitting in her recliner near the heater at Bethany
                      > > Baptist Church when I was a girl. MIL cannot remember all of Elne and
                      > > Luther's children, but she's thinks there was a set of twin girls and a
                      > > boy(Puz?)who became a game warden.
                      > > Cynthia Robbins
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Richard Matthews

                    • Richard Matthews
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
                        The game warden was called "Fuzz" Hamilton and was a legend of sorts around
                        here. Everyone knew him and many had been caught by him while hunting or
                        fishing illegally