Re: [jacksongenealogy] 1850 census

  • malbuff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
      In a message dated 11/30/03 7:50:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, altafae@...
      writes:

      > 12. Josiah Stephens (Samuel, Jeremiah, John) was born in 1770 in North
      > Carolina. He died on 26 Jun 1848 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Josiah married (1)
      > FNU
      > Sutton about 1788.
      >
      > Josiah married (2) Nancy Vann daughter of Luke Vann on 20 Dec 1796 in
      > Edgefield Co., South Carolina. Nancy was born in 1772 in South Carolina. She
      > died on
      > 21 Sep 1857 in Oran, Palo Pinto Co., Texas. They had the following children:
      >
      > 27 M i. John William Stephens was born in 1797 in Greenville, South
      > Carolina. He died in 1857 in Mississippi. He was buried in 1857 in Blythe's
      > Chapel. John married Margaret LNU. Margaret was born in 1800 in Virginia.

      Yes, this is the line I am researching. I have John William as John B, but
      otherwise the same man.

      The whole family beginning with Josiah Stephens left South Carolina for
      Jackson county, Alabama around 1820. Any details on this?

      John's wife Margaret's maiden name was Snodgrass according to one tree I have
      seen. This is interesting because another Snodgrass married into the McClung
      branch of my family also.

      John is in the 1850 Jackson county census. He is also in 1840, 1830, can't
      recall if he's in 1820. I'll have to look again.

      I believe his second son was Absolom Stephens, my great-great-grandfather,
      though I have no proof yet. Absolom married Priscilla Larkin, third daughter of
      the famous David Larkin of Larkinsville. Their son was Judge William Larkin
      Stephens. I have just inherited all of his
      letters and papers. Should prove interesting.

      Have you any ancestral history of this Stephens line, other than dates?
      Family tradition holds we are related to Alexander H Stephens of Georgia, but I'm
      doggoned if I can see how.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

    • altafae@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
        In a message dated 11/30/2003 5:15:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        malbuff@... writes:

        The whole family beginning with Josiah Stephens left South Carolina for
        Jackson County, Alabama around 1820. Any details on this?

        When I got the XP virus I had found them in Georgia in the 1810 census, north
        east part of the state, then in 1820 they were in Franklin Co. Tennessee,
        then in Jackson by 1830 - it seemed they were there when settlers started to
        appear in Jackson Co.