1850 census

  • malbuff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 28, 2003
      Does anyone know the geographic location of the various Alabama
      census districts in 1850? I am especially trying to resolve the location
      of District #19. Anybody? Thanks in advance...

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia
      Researching Stephens, Larkin, McClung, and Snodgrass families

    • altafae@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
        In a message dated 11/28/2003 7:10:13 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        malbuff@... writes:

        > David Malbuff
        > Strasburg, Virginia
        > Researching Stephens

        What are the Stephens you are researching, are they in Alabama?

      • malbuff@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
          In a message dated 11/30/03 4:39:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, altafae@...
          writes:

          > What are the Stephens you are researching, are they in Alabama?

          Yes, the family of Judge William Larkin Stephens (b. 1868) of Jackson county,
          his father Absolom Stephens (1830-1890) of Jackson county, and his
          grandfather John B Stephens (b. abt. 1797 in South Carolina, moved to Jackson county
          around 1820).

          Glory to God,

          David Malbuff
          Strasburg, Virginia

        • Lorraine Cooper
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
            Did this Judge William Larkin Stevens have any daughters?--Lorraine

            > What are the Stephens you are researching, are they in Alabama?

            Yes, the family of Judge William Larkin Stephens (b. 1868) of Jackson county,
            his father Absolom Stephens (1830-1890) of Jackson county, and his
            grandfather John B Stephens (b. abt. 1797 in South Carolina, moved to Jackson county
            around 1820).

            Glory to God,

            David Malbuff
            Strasburg, Virginia

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • altafae@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
              My Stephens information is not right as early on went to various sites and
              prior to my census understanding merged some familles. My family seems to come
              from:

              12. Josiah Stephens (Samuel, Jeremiah, John) was born in 1770 in North
              Carolina. He died on 26 Jun 1848 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Josiah married (1) FNU
              Sutton about 1788.

              Josiah married (2) Nancy Vann daughter of Luke Vann on 20 Dec 1796 in
              Edgefield Co., South Carolina. Nancy was born in 1772 in South Carolina. She died on
              21 Sep 1857 in Oran, Palo Pinto Co., Texas. They had the following children:

              27 M i. John William Stephens was born in 1797 in Greenville, South
              Carolina. He died in 1857 in Mississippi. He was buried in 1857 in Blythe's
              Chapel. John married Margaret LNU. Margaret was born in 1800 in Virginia.

              28 M ii. William H. Stephens was born in 1799 in Edgefield Co., South
              Carolina. He died on 17 Sep 1858 in Jackson Co., Alabama. William married
              Sarah "Sallie" Phillips on 28 May 1821 in Jackson Co., Alabama.

              29 M iii. Ellis Stephens was born in 1800 in North Carolina. Ellis
              married Rebecca LNU in 1826 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Rebecca was born in 1802
              in South Carolina.

              30 M iv. Dow Stephens was born in 1813 in Tennessee. Dow married Ann
              LNU.

              31 F v. Martha Stephens was born in 1815 in Tennessee. Martha married
              Unknown.

              32 M vi. Josiah Stephens Jr. was born on 2 Feb 1816 in Franklin Co.,
              Tennessee. He died on 12 Feb 1879 in Jackson Co., Alabama. He was buried in
              1879 in Kirkville Cemetery, Kirkville, Mississippi. Josiah married Nancy Midlock
              Mitchell about 1839 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Nancy was born on 29 Aug 1820 in
              Jackson Co., Alabama. She died on 12 Nov 1892 in Itawamba Co. Mississippi. She
              was buried in 1892 in Kirkville Cemetery, Kirkville, Mississippi.

              This is the part I believe I merged - it could be right or wrong depending on
              descendants - which I am in contact with a few who still are in Jackson Co.

              1. John Stephens was born in 1666. He died in 1700. John married
              Elizabeth LNU. They had the following children:

              2 M i. John Stephens.

              3 M ii. Charles Stephens.

              4 F iii. Elizabeth Stephens.

              + 5 M iv. Jeremiah Stephens was born in 1689. He died in 1760.

              Second Generation

              5. Jeremiah Stephens (John) was born in 1689. He died in 1760. He had
              the following children:

              + 6 M i. Samuel Stephens died on 30 Oct 1778.

              7 M ii. Adam Stephens.

              8 M iii. William Stephens.

              9 M iv. Jeremiah Stephens Jr. died in 1772.

              10 M v. John Stephens was born in 1722.

              Third Generation

              6. Samuel Stephens (Jeremiah, John) was born in Virginia. He died on 30
              Oct 1778. He had the following children:

              + 11 M i. John Stephens died about 22 Oct 1810.

              + 12 M ii. Josiah Stephens was born in 1770. He died on 26 Jun 1848.

              + 13 M iii. Pierce Stephens was born in 1788.

              + 14 M iv. FNU Stephens.

              + 15 M v. Daniel Stephens was born in 1793. He died about 1833.

              + 16 M vi. FNU Stephens.

              Fourth Generation

              11. John Stephens (Samuel, Jeremiah, John) died about 22 Oct 1810. John
              married Lucy LNU. They had the following children:

              17 M i. Edward Stephens.

              18 F ii. Susannah Stephens.

              19 M iii. Jeremiah Stephens.

              20 F iv. Rebeckah Stephens was born in 1793 in North Carolina.
              Rebeckah married FNU Clampit.

              21 F v. Frances Stephens.

              22 M vi. Joseph Stephens.

              23 M vii. William Stephens.

              24 F viii. Nancy Stephens.

              25 F ix. Elizabeth Stephens.

              26 M x. Zachariah Stephens was born on 8 Feb 1787 in South Carolina.
              He died on 2 Oct 1881 in Itawamba Co., Mississippi. He was buried in Stephens
              Cemetery, Itawamba Co., Mississippi. Zachariah married Teletha "Tabitha" G.
              Powell. Teletha was born in 1799 in South Carolina. She died on 9 Aug 1872 in
              Itawamba Co., Mississippi. She was buried in 1872 in Stephens Cemetery, Itawamba
              Co., Mississippi.

              My great great grandmother was:

              33 F vii. Elizabeth "Miss. Betsy" Stephens was born in 1824. She
              died in Dec 1884 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Elizabeth married (1) Elijah Brazier
              Jr. son of Elijah Brazier Sr. about 1842 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Elijah was
              born in 1800 in South Carolina. He died before 1868 in Jackson Co., Alabama.
              Elizabeth married (2) William Messer son of Jacob Messer and Sarah "Sallie" LNU
              on 3 Feb 1869 in Jackson Co., Alabama. William was born in 1823 in Hawkins Co.,
              Tennessee.

              Charles Brashear, who is the author of "The Brashear: The First 200 Years"
              states in his book she is an Aunt to Solomon Stephens who is the son of Ellis
              Stephens - which I thought would make her Ellis sister or another daughter of
              Daniel, I am not sure. Mystery continues to surround my Elizabeth. I just
              located another Stephens in Alabama, actually St. Stephens who has collected many
              of the family bibles and I hope to have some of these mysteries clarified by
              the new year. Any information you can shed or enlighten me on would be greatly
              appreciated.

              I also have a family photograph of Elizabeth taken around 1882 or 1881, and
              also one of the last family portraits of her before the civil war before her
              husband dies in 1859 with her children. Another interesting thing I have is a
              photo of Ailsey Smith "on back it says Grandma Smith, Aunt Ailsey" which I seem
              to have seen next store when Smiths were present next door - that land would
              have been Daniel Stephens, but was purchased by Graves. I still do not know
              the connection - yet the Smith family would marry into the Messer line of
              William who would marry Elizabeth father the death of Elijah. Ellis and Solomon
              Stephens would retain most of the land along with his other brother farms that
              surrounded this area. I have them through Georgia, into Franklin TN, then down
              to Jackson early in the 1820's. Would love to share info.

              Jimmie Ryan
              GGGrandson of
              Elijah and Elizabeth Stephens Brazier

            • malbuff@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
                In a message dated 11/30/03 7:23:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                rubyrain@... writes:

                > Did this Judge William Larkin Stevens have any daughters?--Lorraine

                Yes, my grandmother Margaret Elizabeth Stephens (1896-1961).

                Glory to God,

                David Malbuff
                Strasburg, Virginia

              • malbuff@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 30, 2003
                  In a message dated 11/30/03 7:50:05 PM Eastern Standard Time, altafae@...
                  writes:

                  > 12. Josiah Stephens (Samuel, Jeremiah, John) was born in 1770 in North
                  > Carolina. He died on 26 Jun 1848 in Jackson Co., Alabama. Josiah married (1)
                  > FNU
                  > Sutton about 1788.
                  >
                  > Josiah married (2) Nancy Vann daughter of Luke Vann on 20 Dec 1796 in
                  > Edgefield Co., South Carolina. Nancy was born in 1772 in South Carolina. She
                  > died on
                  > 21 Sep 1857 in Oran, Palo Pinto Co., Texas. They had the following children:
                  >
                  > 27 M i. John William Stephens was born in 1797 in Greenville, South
                  > Carolina. He died in 1857 in Mississippi. He was buried in 1857 in Blythe's
                  > Chapel. John married Margaret LNU. Margaret was born in 1800 in Virginia.

                  Yes, this is the line I am researching. I have John William as John B, but
                  otherwise the same man.

                  The whole family beginning with Josiah Stephens left South Carolina for
                  Jackson county, Alabama around 1820. Any details on this?

                  John's wife Margaret's maiden name was Snodgrass according to one tree I have
                  seen. This is interesting because another Snodgrass married into the McClung
                  branch of my family also.

                  John is in the 1850 Jackson county census. He is also in 1840, 1830, can't
                  recall if he's in 1820. I'll have to look again.

                  I believe his second son was Absolom Stephens, my great-great-grandfather,
                  though I have no proof yet. Absolom married Priscilla Larkin, third daughter of
                  the famous David Larkin of Larkinsville. Their son was Judge William Larkin
                  Stephens. I have just inherited all of his
                  letters and papers. Should prove interesting.

                  Have you any ancestral history of this Stephens line, other than dates?
                  Family tradition holds we are related to Alexander H Stephens of Georgia, but I'm
                  doggoned if I can see how.

                  Glory to God,

                  David Malbuff
                  Strasburg, Virginia

                • altafae@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/30/2003 5:15:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                    malbuff@... writes:

                    The whole family beginning with Josiah Stephens left South Carolina for
                    Jackson County, Alabama around 1820. Any details on this?

                    When I got the XP virus I had found them in Georgia in the 1810 census, north
                    east part of the state, then in 1820 they were in Franklin Co. Tennessee,
                    then in Jackson by 1830 - it seemed they were there when settlers started to
                    appear in Jackson Co.