Jackson Co. newspapers, & other records

  • Tracy Lynn Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 1999
      I noticed in several of the archived posts that there were questions about
      newspapers & an index. The bound index that was mentioned, has the name &
      date of paper that the article re: death appeared in. The
      Scottsboro/Jackson County Heritage Center has the masters for the index, so
      there is a possibility of the index being published in the future. The
      Scottsboro Public Library & the Heritage Room of the Huntsville Public
      Library have most of the newspapers on microfilm, & the Scottsboro/Jackson
      County Heritage Center has most of the actual newspapers.

      The Heritage Center also has some of the original chattel records for
      Jackson County. Wendell & the late Carlus Page were able to rescue many of
      the "less useful" record books from the courthouse basement.

      Marriage, deed, mortgage, will, & probate records have almost all been
      photocopied & bound, making records somewhat easier to locate & copy.

      Hope this is helpful,

      Tracy Fossett Wilson
      Jackson County, AL