History of Section, AL

  • Tracy Lynn Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 1999
      Hi to all. I'm new to the list & just read a post re: Mr. Harry Campbell's
      book on the history of Section. He is in the process of gathering
      information about the early families & history of the area.

      Hope this helps,

      Tracy Fossett Wilson
      Jackson County, AL
    • Gubasemia@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29, 1999
        I have just returned from a very productive trip to Section, AL. My gr gr
        Uncle Johnny Neeley, who lives in Section, told me about the book being
        written by Mr. Campbell. He was gathering information for it and was so
        pleased that I had more information to include. He still lives on the
        Homestead of his father, and my gr gr grandfather, William M. Neeley. He is
        almost 85 and is so interesting. I don't know who enjoyed our visit the most,
        Uncle Johnny or me. He did not know much about his father so we shared what
        we knew. We both gained a lot. I spent ten days in the state of Alabama and
        everyone I met there was extremely nice and very helpful. A lady at the drug
        store in the back of a grocery store in Section made copies for me and did
        not charge me a penny. Talk about "Southern Hospitality". It was wonderful.

        Darlene
      • myopicme2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2009
          Good Morning,All!

          Does anyone have a copy of an article that (I think) was published in a Jackson Co. paper years ago that was written about the history of Section? I seem to remember it was a long article. Mr. Harry Campbell was working on a Section history years ago, but I'm not sure if this was his work. I now live in Section, and my Mother's family (Hancock, Story, Fossett, Privett, and Jett) are all long time residents of this area.
          Thank You,
          Cynthia Robbins
        • jackman_0645
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 17, 2009
            Mrs Robbins
            Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
            John Larry Hamilton

            In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "myopicme2001" <imreader@...> wrote:

            > Good Morning,All!
            >
            > Does anyone have a copy of an article that (I think) was published in a Jackson Co. paper years ago that was written about the history of Section? I seem to remember it was a long article. Mr. Harry Campbell was working on a Section history years ago, but I'm not sure if this was his work. I now live in Section, and my Mother's family (Hancock, Story, Fossett, Privett, and Jett) are all long time residents of this area.
            > Thank You,
            > Cynthia Robbins

          • Cyntbia
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
              My grandmother's family, the Stringer family, also came from Section. Also, part of Evans family was from there, too. I noticed you have listed the name Fossett. Was one of your Fossett family ancestors named Phebe or Phoebe? On my grandmother's side, a Mamie Stringer married a Calvin Evans, who we think is the son of David Evans and Phebe Fossett. Calvin and Mamie moved to the Sweetwater, Texas area.
              If we match, I'd love to share information.

              Cindy Pugliese

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Tracy Lynn Wilson" <tlwilson@... wrote:

              > Hi to all. I'm new to the list & just read a post re: Mr. Harry Campbell's
              > book on the history of Section. He is in the process of gathering
              > information about the early families & history of the area.
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              >
              > Tracy Fossett Wilson
              > Jackson County, AL

            • myopicme2001
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@...> wrote:

                > Mrs Robbins
                > Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
                > John Larry Hamilton
                >

                > Mr. Hamilton,
                Decoration at Bluff is the 4th Sunday in May. I asked my MIL and the only Hamilton she knew was Mrs. Elne Bell Hamilton, wife of Luther Hamilton. I remember Mrs. Elne sitting in her recliner near the heater at Bethany Baptist Church when I was a girl. MIL cannot remember all of Elne and Luther's children, but she's thinks there was a set of twin girls and a boy(Puz?)who became a game warden.
                Cynthia Robbins
              • myopicme2001
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cyntbia" <cynthia.pugliese@...> wrote:

                  > My grandmother's family, the Stringer family, also came from Section. Also, part of Evans family was from there, too. I noticed you have listed the name Fossett. Was one of your Fossett family ancestors named Phebe or Phoebe? On my grandmother's side, a Mamie Stringer married a Calvin Evans, who we think is the son of David Evans and Phebe Fossett. Calvin and Mamie moved to the Sweetwater, Texas area.
                  > If we match, I'd love to share information.
                  >
                  > Cindy Pugliese

                  Cindy,
                  The name Phebe doesn't ring any bells for me. A few years ago, Tracy Wilson was doing Fossett research. Perhaps she might be able to help you.
                  Cynthia
                • Richard Matthews
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 18, 2009
                    I knew the twin Hamilton girls, Peg and Pam I think. They were a few years
                    ahead of me in school so they would be late 60's now I think

                    --
                    Richard Matthews

                  • jackman_0645
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
                      Yes Your MIL is correct Luther and his son is buried not far from my father and mother so is Raford the Game Warden. I remember the twin girls as well one was struck by lightning. I hope that is the same day as clean up day at Bluff cemetery. Thank you for your information. I hope to come to Bluff cemetery on that day
                      JLH

                      -- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "myopicme2001" <imreader@...> wrote:

                      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Mrs Robbins
                      > > Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
                      > > John Larry Hamilton
                      > >

                      > > Mr. Hamilton,
                      > Decoration at Bluff is the 4th Sunday in May. I asked my MIL and the only Hamilton she knew was Mrs. Elne Bell Hamilton, wife of Luther Hamilton. I remember Mrs. Elne sitting in her recliner near the heater at Bethany Baptist Church when I was a girl. MIL cannot remember all of Elne and Luther's children, but she's thinks there was a set of twin girls and a boy(Puz?)who became a game warden.
                      > Cynthia Robbins

                    • jackman_0645
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
                        -Did you know Billy Ferguson? He would come to Harriman and stay the weekend when he was going to college at Cookville Tn. He also taught school for a while at South Harriman elementary school where he gave me the first paddling I ever got.
                        JLH

                        -- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Richard Matthews <messabout@...> wrote:

                        > I knew the twin Hamilton girls, Peg and Pam I think. They were a few years
                        > ahead of me in school so they would be late 60's now I think
                        >
                        > On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM, myopicme2001 <imreader@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com<jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > > "jackman_0645" <hkatherinejohn@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Mrs Robbins
                        > > > Do any of the older people of your family remember any Hamiltons from
                        > > Section? They are all buried at Bluff cememtery except for Valder Hamilton.
                        > > > John Larry Hamilton
                        > > >

                        > > > Mr. Hamilton,
                        > > Decoration at Bluff is the 4th Sunday in May. I asked my MIL and the only
                        > > Hamilton she knew was Mrs. Elne Bell Hamilton, wife of Luther Hamilton. I
                        > > remember Mrs. Elne sitting in her recliner near the heater at Bethany
                        > > Baptist Church when I was a girl. MIL cannot remember all of Elne and
                        > > Luther's children, but she's thinks there was a set of twin girls and a
                        > > boy(Puz?)who became a game warden.
                        > > Cynthia Robbins
                        > >

                        > --
                        > Richard Matthews

                      • Richard Matthews
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 19, 2009
                          The game warden was called "Fuzz" Hamilton and was a legend of sorts around
                          here. Everyone knew him and many had been caught by him while hunting or
                          fishing illegally