Re: [jacksongenealogy] Death Certificates

  • Percy B. Keel
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 1980
      Alabama started keeping Death Records in 1908. There may be some older ones
      at the Courthouses.
      Message 2 of 18 , May 7, 2005
        Original Death Certificates have much more that
        the Death Index. I have a copy of my Ggrandmother
        Mary (Walker) Wills death certificate from 1915
        DeKalb Co. AL

        It lists the date and cause of death, where the
        illiness was contracted, how long was the
        illiness, where and when the person was born, it
        asks who were the mother and father and where
        were they born(state and country). It lists where
        the person will be buried and is signed by the
        attending doctor. There are 18 questions on the
        certificate and a place for remarks.

        Clay
      • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
          Malisey Steele I think 1947
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
            Martha

            Found her on the list, they have dropped the "e".

            Mary M. Steel
            Jackson County
            Vol 48
            Certificate 23751
            Roll 5

            Using the above info you can order a copy from the Probate
            Court in Scottsboro cost is $2.00 and a SASE.

            Jackson County Probate Court
            PO Box 128
            Scottsboro, AL 35768

            Phone: 256-574-9290

            Clay
          • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
              Clay' Can I pick one up at the court house .I was just there yesterday.

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                Martha

                You should be able to pickup a copy at the courthouse. It
                should have her father and mother's names on the
                certificate. Don't know about her husband, the one for 1914
                didn't have.

                Clay
              • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Clay, If this is my grandmother her husband is Dawson B. Steele. Martha
                  Woody

                • Kybartai@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 23 1:45 PM
                    You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                    in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                  • m d
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 23 3:01 PM
                      Where is Hanceville, Alabama?

                      Kybartai@... wrote: You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                      in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                    • Earl T. Reed
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 23 4:39 PM
                        Hanceville is about 12-15 miles S of Cullman on highway 31. That is maybe 3
                        miles E of I-65. Cullman is on I-65.

                        Earl Reed
                        Dayton

                        in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                      • Pat Alexander
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                          Wouldn't the courthouse in Scottsboro have death records books? I know Calhoun County does. Also, funeral homes sometimes have published lists. I really need a trip to Scottsboro. I think the actual death certificates have to come from Montgomery. "Think" being the key word.

                          Pat

                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                            The death certificates are on micofilm and are at the county health department. So you can go to any county health department in AL to get death certificates for any place in the state. I doubt that they are at the courthouse. The originals of course would be at the state level. What you get is either an uncertified copy or a certified copy from the micofilm.

                          • rgpipes@hughes.net
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                              I was in Nashville this past weekend and picked up some death certificates
                              from the Tennessee State library and Archives starting at 1908 through 1924.
                              I got the ones I copied for 25 cents. I just didn't know if they were some
                              where like that in Jackson County.

                              Thanks Clay.
                              Regina

                              _____

                            • joy0420@charter.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                                Clay,
                                Are these death certs available to anyone? And from 1908 on, correct? If I was going to get certs for say my hubby's gg gparents, would that be an issue me not being family per se?

                                Thanks. JOY