Re: [jacksongenealogy] Death Certificates

  • Percy B. Keel
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 1980
      Alabama started keeping Death Records in 1908. There may be some older ones
      at the Courthouses.
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 8, 2003

        Message 3 of 18 , May 7, 2005
          Original Death Certificates have much more that
          the Death Index. I have a copy of my Ggrandmother
          Mary (Walker) Wills death certificate from 1915
          DeKalb Co. AL

          It lists the date and cause of death, where the
          illiness was contracted, how long was the
          illiness, where and when the person was born, it
          asks who were the mother and father and where
          were they born(state and country). It lists where
          the person will be buried and is signed by the
          attending doctor. There are 18 questions on the
          certificate and a place for remarks.

          Clay
        • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
            Malisey Steele I think 1947
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
              Martha

              Found her on the list, they have dropped the "e".

              Mary M. Steel
              Jackson County
              Vol 48
              Certificate 23751
              Roll 5

              Using the above info you can order a copy from the Probate
              Court in Scottsboro cost is $2.00 and a SASE.

              Jackson County Probate Court
              PO Box 128
              Scottsboro, AL 35768

              Phone: 256-574-9290

              Clay
            • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                Clay' Can I pick one up at the court house .I was just there yesterday.

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Martha

                  You should be able to pickup a copy at the courthouse. It
                  should have her father and mother's names on the
                  certificate. Don't know about her husband, the one for 1914
                  didn't have.

                  Clay
                • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Clay, If this is my grandmother her husband is Dawson B. Steele. Martha
                    Woody

                  • Kybartai@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                      You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                      in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                    • m d
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                        Where is Hanceville, Alabama?

                        Kybartai@... wrote: You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                        in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                      • Earl T. Reed
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                          Hanceville is about 12-15 miles S of Cullman on highway 31. That is maybe 3
                          miles E of I-65. Cullman is on I-65.

                          Earl Reed
                          Dayton

                          in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                        • Pat Alexander
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1 7:31 PM
                            Wouldn't the courthouse in Scottsboro have death records books? I know Calhoun County does. Also, funeral homes sometimes have published lists. I really need a trip to Scottsboro. I think the actual death certificates have to come from Montgomery. "Think" being the key word.

                            Pat

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1 7:48 PM
                              The death certificates are on micofilm and are at the county health department. So you can go to any county health department in AL to get death certificates for any place in the state. I doubt that they are at the courthouse. The originals of course would be at the state level. What you get is either an uncertified copy or a certified copy from the micofilm.

                            • rgpipes@hughes.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1 9:08 PM
                                I was in Nashville this past weekend and picked up some death certificates
                                from the Tennessee State library and Archives starting at 1908 through 1924.
                                I got the ones I copied for 25 cents. I just didn't know if they were some
                                where like that in Jackson County.

                                Thanks Clay.
                                Regina

                                _____

                              • joy0420@charter.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 2 5:33 AM
                                  Clay,
                                  Are these death certs available to anyone? And from 1908 on, correct? If I was going to get certs for say my hubby's gg gparents, would that be an issue me not being family per se?

                                  Thanks. JOY