Re: [jacksongenealogy] Death Certificates

  • Percy B. Keel
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 1980
      Alabama started keeping Death Records in 1908. There may be some older ones
      at the Courthouses.
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
        I have Hopkins in Missouri and Tennessee about that time. I will check see
        if those names appear. Ron

      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 8, 2003

          Message 4 of 18 , May 7 1:21 PM
            Original Death Certificates have much more that
            the Death Index. I have a copy of my Ggrandmother
            Mary (Walker) Wills death certificate from 1915
            DeKalb Co. AL

            It lists the date and cause of death, where the
            illiness was contracted, how long was the
            illiness, where and when the person was born, it
            asks who were the mother and father and where
            were they born(state and country). It lists where
            the person will be buried and is signed by the
            attending doctor. There are 18 questions on the
            certificate and a place for remarks.

            Clay
          • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
              Malisey Steele I think 1947
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                Martha

                Found her on the list, they have dropped the "e".

                Mary M. Steel
                Jackson County
                Vol 48
                Certificate 23751
                Roll 5

                Using the above info you can order a copy from the Probate
                Court in Scottsboro cost is $2.00 and a SASE.

                Jackson County Probate Court
                PO Box 128
                Scottsboro, AL 35768

                Phone: 256-574-9290

                Clay
              • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Clay' Can I pick one up at the court house .I was just there yesterday.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Martha

                    You should be able to pickup a copy at the courthouse. It
                    should have her father and mother's names on the
                    certificate. Don't know about her husband, the one for 1914
                    didn't have.

                    Clay
                  • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Clay, If this is my grandmother her husband is Dawson B. Steele. Martha
                      Woody

                    • Kybartai@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                        You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                        in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                      • m d
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                          Where is Hanceville, Alabama?

                          Kybartai@... wrote: You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                          in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                        • Earl T. Reed
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                            Hanceville is about 12-15 miles S of Cullman on highway 31. That is maybe 3
                            miles E of I-65. Cullman is on I-65.

                            Earl Reed
                            Dayton

                            in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                          • Pat Alexander
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                              Wouldn't the courthouse in Scottsboro have death records books? I know Calhoun County does. Also, funeral homes sometimes have published lists. I really need a trip to Scottsboro. I think the actual death certificates have to come from Montgomery. "Think" being the key word.

                              Pat

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                The death certificates are on micofilm and are at the county health department. So you can go to any county health department in AL to get death certificates for any place in the state. I doubt that they are at the courthouse. The originals of course would be at the state level. What you get is either an uncertified copy or a certified copy from the micofilm.

                              • rgpipes@hughes.net
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  I was in Nashville this past weekend and picked up some death certificates
                                  from the Tennessee State library and Archives starting at 1908 through 1924.
                                  I got the ones I copied for 25 cents. I just didn't know if they were some
                                  where like that in Jackson County.

                                  Thanks Clay.
                                  Regina

                                  _____

                                • joy0420@charter.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                                    Clay,
                                    Are these death certs available to anyone? And from 1908 on, correct? If I was going to get certs for say my hubby's gg gparents, would that be an issue me not being family per se?

                                    Thanks. JOY