Re: [jacksongenealogy] Death Certificates

  • Percy B. Keel
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 1980
      Alabama started keeping Death Records in 1908. There may be some older ones
      at the Courthouses.
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
        hi there! that makes great sense to have someone go to courthouse for you. i
        have been researching for awhile now, and sometimes when u are looking
        online, i have found the info posted is incorrect! that little lite down the end of
        the tunnel sometimes gets blown out when postings aren't there, are
        incomplete, or just are incorrect. good luck! nothing better than hands on documents!

        my brick wall...benjamin p hopkins marriage to juda/judith cope about 1801,
        in alabama, tenn, nc area... no formal documents found!

      • Ron Akins
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
          I have Hopkins in Missouri and Tennessee about that time. I will check see
          if those names appear. Ron

        • Jewel Casey
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 8, 2003

            Message 5 of 18 , May 7, 2005
              Original Death Certificates have much more that
              the Death Index. I have a copy of my Ggrandmother
              Mary (Walker) Wills death certificate from 1915
              DeKalb Co. AL

              It lists the date and cause of death, where the
              illiness was contracted, how long was the
              illiness, where and when the person was born, it
              asks who were the mother and father and where
              were they born(state and country). It lists where
              the person will be buried and is signed by the
              attending doctor. There are 18 questions on the
              certificate and a place for remarks.

              Clay
            • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                Malisey Steele I think 1947
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Martha

                  Found her on the list, they have dropped the "e".

                  Mary M. Steel
                  Jackson County
                  Vol 48
                  Certificate 23751
                  Roll 5

                  Using the above info you can order a copy from the Probate
                  Court in Scottsboro cost is $2.00 and a SASE.

                  Jackson County Probate Court
                  PO Box 128
                  Scottsboro, AL 35768

                  Phone: 256-574-9290

                  Clay
                • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Clay' Can I pick one up at the court house .I was just there yesterday.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Martha

                      You should be able to pickup a copy at the courthouse. It
                      should have her father and mother's names on the
                      certificate. Don't know about her husband, the one for 1914
                      didn't have.

                      Clay
                    • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                        Clay, If this is my grandmother her husband is Dawson B. Steele. Martha
                        Woody

                      • Kybartai@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                          You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                          in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                        • m d
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                            Where is Hanceville, Alabama?

                            Kybartai@... wrote: You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                            in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                          • Earl T. Reed
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                              Hanceville is about 12-15 miles S of Cullman on highway 31. That is maybe 3
                              miles E of I-65. Cullman is on I-65.

                              Earl Reed
                              Dayton

                              in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                            • Pat Alexander
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                Wouldn't the courthouse in Scottsboro have death records books? I know Calhoun County does. Also, funeral homes sometimes have published lists. I really need a trip to Scottsboro. I think the actual death certificates have to come from Montgomery. "Think" being the key word.

                                Pat

                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  The death certificates are on micofilm and are at the county health department. So you can go to any county health department in AL to get death certificates for any place in the state. I doubt that they are at the courthouse. The originals of course would be at the state level. What you get is either an uncertified copy or a certified copy from the micofilm.

                                • rgpipes@hughes.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    I was in Nashville this past weekend and picked up some death certificates
                                    from the Tennessee State library and Archives starting at 1908 through 1924.
                                    I got the ones I copied for 25 cents. I just didn't know if they were some
                                    where like that in Jackson County.

                                    Thanks Clay.
                                    Regina

                                    _____

                                  • joy0420@charter.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                                      Clay,
                                      Are these death certs available to anyone? And from 1908 on, correct? If I was going to get certs for say my hubby's gg gparents, would that be an issue me not being family per se?

                                      Thanks. JOY