Re: [jacksongenealogy] Death Certificates

  • Percy B. Keel
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 1980
      Alabama started keeping Death Records in 1908. There may be some older ones
      at the Courthouses.
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 6, 2003
        O si yo,

        When I couldn't find any info. on my family from Scottsboro death cert. you
        know what I had to do, I had to send my Aunt to get the info. they didn't have
        anything in books or CD nothing so you might want to send someone to the court
        house. By the way the Mormans are there microfilming so it shouldn't be to
        much longer till you'll have the info. from them. Just an idea to pass onto you.

        Do na da go hv = Until we meet again
        U gi da li - Silver Feathers

        ah-nee-jah-lah-gee = Cherokee People = Guh-geh-yoo, I love you
        Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee = Your kin

        In God's Service
        Patricia Mills
        <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

        Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
        Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
        Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky

        My Brick Wall: Joseph P. Rodgers 1846, who were his parents and where did he
        come from? His Wife: Emily Elizabeth Smith/Rodgers/Lemons 1843, who were her
        parents she lived with her grandparents George and Mary Ann Smith.

      • aneatthesweet@cs.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
          hi there! that makes great sense to have someone go to courthouse for you. i
          have been researching for awhile now, and sometimes when u are looking
          online, i have found the info posted is incorrect! that little lite down the end of
          the tunnel sometimes gets blown out when postings aren't there, are
          incomplete, or just are incorrect. good luck! nothing better than hands on documents!

          my brick wall...benjamin p hopkins marriage to juda/judith cope about 1801,
          in alabama, tenn, nc area... no formal documents found!

        • Ron Akins
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2003
            I have Hopkins in Missouri and Tennessee about that time. I will check see
            if those names appear. Ron

          • Jewel Casey
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 8, 2003

              Message 6 of 18 , May 7 1:21 PM
                Original Death Certificates have much more that
                the Death Index. I have a copy of my Ggrandmother
                Mary (Walker) Wills death certificate from 1915
                DeKalb Co. AL

                It lists the date and cause of death, where the
                illiness was contracted, how long was the
                illiness, where and when the person was born, it
                asks who were the mother and father and where
                were they born(state and country). It lists where
                the person will be buried and is signed by the
                attending doctor. There are 18 questions on the
                certificate and a place for remarks.

                Clay
              • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Malisey Steele I think 1947
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Martha

                    Found her on the list, they have dropped the "e".

                    Mary M. Steel
                    Jackson County
                    Vol 48
                    Certificate 23751
                    Roll 5

                    Using the above info you can order a copy from the Probate
                    Court in Scottsboro cost is $2.00 and a SASE.

                    Jackson County Probate Court
                    PO Box 128
                    Scottsboro, AL 35768

                    Phone: 256-574-9290

                    Clay
                  • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Clay' Can I pick one up at the court house .I was just there yesterday.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                        Martha

                        You should be able to pickup a copy at the courthouse. It
                        should have her father and mother's names on the
                        certificate. Don't know about her husband, the one for 1914
                        didn't have.

                        Clay
                      • marthawoody@bellsouth.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 29, 2005
                          Clay, If this is my grandmother her husband is Dawson B. Steele. Martha
                          Woody

                        • Kybartai@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                            You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                            in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                          • m d
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                              Where is Hanceville, Alabama?

                              Kybartai@... wrote: You can make copies of Alabama death certificates at Wallace State College,
                              in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                            • Earl T. Reed
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 23, 2006
                                Hanceville is about 12-15 miles S of Cullman on highway 31. That is maybe 3
                                miles E of I-65. Cullman is on I-65.

                                Earl Reed
                                Dayton

                                in Hanceville, Alabama. They have the index and the older certificates.

                              • Pat Alexander
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  Wouldn't the courthouse in Scottsboro have death records books? I know Calhoun County does. Also, funeral homes sometimes have published lists. I really need a trip to Scottsboro. I think the actual death certificates have to come from Montgomery. "Think" being the key word.

                                  Pat

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    The death certificates are on micofilm and are at the county health department. So you can go to any county health department in AL to get death certificates for any place in the state. I doubt that they are at the courthouse. The originals of course would be at the state level. What you get is either an uncertified copy or a certified copy from the micofilm.

                                  • rgpipes@hughes.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                      I was in Nashville this past weekend and picked up some death certificates
                                      from the Tennessee State library and Archives starting at 1908 through 1924.
                                      I got the ones I copied for 25 cents. I just didn't know if they were some
                                      where like that in Jackson County.

                                      Thanks Clay.
                                      Regina

                                      _____

                                    • joy0420@charter.net
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 2, 2006
                                        Clay,
                                        Are these death certs available to anyone? And from 1908 on, correct? If I was going to get certs for say my hubby's gg gparents, would that be an issue me not being family per se?

                                        Thanks. JOY