Re: [jacksongenealogy] Alabama Death Index

  • zrcb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
      Please if anybody knows about whether there is a book or CD or anything that
      covers the death index in Jackson Co Alabama let me know.
      Thank You Chuck Boyd Zrcb@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
        Sharon

        The books were for new papers from the 1800s prices $35 to $45. I have a feeling the CD is the same as the Alabama Death Index on Ancestry.com which lists 14,000 names.
        I checked the death index and cemeteries in AL saw no listing for Malinda Winchester, very few Winchesters at all.

        Your best bet is see if someone at the Scottsboro Museum email heritage@... or at the Historical Society email abc123@... could look and see if there is an obit in the Jackson Co. newspapers in Mar/Apr 1913 for her.

        A lot of people back then were just buried with no death certificate.

        Clay Gullatt

      • Sam McDowell
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
          Chuck,
          Found this in Ancestry.com. Its cheaper here than any
          other place I have seen. Thanks for your help Clay.
          I don't know what we would do without you!!

          Item #2335
          Our Price: $26.95
          Retail Price:$29.95

          To order by phone call
          1-800-ANCESTRY
          (262-3787)
          Explore the recent past with records of your proud
          Alabama ancestors in this collection of deaths from
          1908-1959-- including all Alabama counties!

          This index of persons who died in the state of Alabama
          between 1908 and 1959 was compiled by the Alabama
          State Health Department. The 1,363,539 records include
          name, gender, death date and county, and marital
          status. The entries are conveniently indexed and
          searchable through AncestryView technology.

          Contents and Features:

          - 1,363,539 records
          - All Alabama counties represented
          - Easily searched with AncestryView

          System Requirements:

          - 486/33 processor (Pentium style recommended)
          - Windows 95 or better, 16MB RAM, 15MB hard disk space
          - 2X CD-ROM
          - 800x600 monitor resolution, 16-bit color or higher.

          Alabama - State Fact Sheet
          Our Price: $2.95
          Alabama Vital Records: Marriages 1808-1920 (Win)
          Our Price: $26.95
          Retail: $29.95

          --- zrcb@... wrote:
          > Please if anybody knows about whether there is a
          > book or CD or anything that
          > covers the death index in Jackson Co Alabama let me
          > know.
          > Thank You Chuck Boyd Zrcb@...

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • marywinn
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
            Sharon,

            I was able to get my ggf's obit from the Alabama Archives. This was from
            1911. Try going to
            www.archives.state.al.us

            If you can't get help there, write to
            State of Alabama
            Dept of Archives and History
            PO Box 300100
            Montgomery Alabama 36130-0100
            They sent me obits from 2 different newspapers; cost was $20.

            Regards,
            Mary Winn Anderson