Alabama Death Index

  • Sam McDowell
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
      Do any of you know if there is a published CD,book,
      etc. of deaths in Alabama, and if so, where may I
      obtain a copy?
      Thanks,
      Sam

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
        Sam

        Try one of these: www.ancestorstuff.com , or the shops at www.ancestery.com other sources are: appleton books.com; mountainpress.com, heritagebooks.com; willowbendbooks.com; frontierpress.com; genealogywarehouse.com

        Ancestorstuff has sales and discounts so you may be able to get a lower price there. There is a CD of AL deaths 1908-1959 available. I have seen books for sale with extracts of early AL newpapers obits but they are very expensive.

      • sromanek
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
          Clay can you give us an idea what very expensive is please? At this point I would almost give a pint of blood for the death info on my Malinda Johnston Kirksey Winchester, said to have died March 1913, Wanville, Jackson County, Al. I cannot find any info ANYWHERE. I even sent for a death certificate as a last ditch effort. There was not one evidently.

          Sharon Dover Romanek

          e-mail: PRIMARY sromanek@...
          sromanek@...

          Researching: Romanek, Gucwa, Dover,Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, Williams, Edge, Smith, Kirksey, DeMers, Murphy, Allen

          It's 2003 ... Do you know where your G-G-Grandparents are?
          Try one of these: www.ancestorstuff.com , or the shops at www.ancestery.com other sources are: appleton books.com; mountainpress.com, heritagebooks.com; willowbendbooks.com; frontierpress.com; genealogywarehouse.com

          Ancestorstuff has sales and discounts so you may be able to get a lower price there. There is a CD of AL deaths 1908-1959 available. I have seen books for sale with extracts of early AL newpapers obits but they are very expensive.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          [This message may be spam]--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Internet Of Salisbury, Inc.]

        • zrcb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
            Please if anybody knows about whether there is a book or CD or anything that
            covers the death index in Jackson Co Alabama let me know.
            Thank You Chuck Boyd Zrcb@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
              Sharon

              The books were for new papers from the 1800s prices $35 to $45. I have a feeling the CD is the same as the Alabama Death Index on Ancestry.com which lists 14,000 names.
              I checked the death index and cemeteries in AL saw no listing for Malinda Winchester, very few Winchesters at all.

              Your best bet is see if someone at the Scottsboro Museum email heritage@... or at the Historical Society email abc123@... could look and see if there is an obit in the Jackson Co. newspapers in Mar/Apr 1913 for her.

              A lot of people back then were just buried with no death certificate.

              Clay Gullatt

            • Sam McDowell
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                Chuck,
                Found this in Ancestry.com. Its cheaper here than any
                other place I have seen. Thanks for your help Clay.
                I don't know what we would do without you!!

                Item #2335
                Our Price: $26.95
                Retail Price:$29.95

                To order by phone call
                1-800-ANCESTRY
                (262-3787)
                Explore the recent past with records of your proud
                Alabama ancestors in this collection of deaths from
                1908-1959-- including all Alabama counties!

                This index of persons who died in the state of Alabama
                between 1908 and 1959 was compiled by the Alabama
                State Health Department. The 1,363,539 records include
                name, gender, death date and county, and marital
                status. The entries are conveniently indexed and
                searchable through AncestryView technology.

                Contents and Features:

                - 1,363,539 records
                - All Alabama counties represented
                - Easily searched with AncestryView

                System Requirements:

                - 486/33 processor (Pentium style recommended)
                - Windows 95 or better, 16MB RAM, 15MB hard disk space
                - 2X CD-ROM
                - 800x600 monitor resolution, 16-bit color or higher.

                Alabama - State Fact Sheet
                Our Price: $2.95
                Alabama Vital Records: Marriages 1808-1920 (Win)
                Our Price: $26.95
                Retail: $29.95

                --- zrcb@... wrote:
                > Please if anybody knows about whether there is a
                > book or CD or anything that
                > covers the death index in Jackson Co Alabama let me
                > know.
                > Thank You Chuck Boyd Zrcb@...

                http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
              • marywinn
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                  Sharon,

                  I was able to get my ggf's obit from the Alabama Archives. This was from
                  1911. Try going to
                  www.archives.state.al.us

                  If you can't get help there, write to
                  State of Alabama
                  Dept of Archives and History
                  PO Box 300100
                  Montgomery Alabama 36130-0100
                  They sent me obits from 2 different newspapers; cost was $20.

                  Regards,
                  Mary Winn Anderson