Rodgers family

  • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2003
      Hello everyone,
      Does anyone have any info. on the 16th. Alabama Civil war 1961-64 I think,
      Also does anyone have any of the special census for 1866?
      Thank you so much.

      In God's Service
      ah-nee-jah-lah-gee Guh-geh-yoo
      Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee
      Patricia Mills
      <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

      Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
      Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
      Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky

      My Brick Wall: Joseph P. Rodgers 1846, who were his parents and where did he
      come from? His Wife: Emily Elizabeth Smith/Rodgers/Lemons 1843, who were her
      parents she lived with her grandparents George and Mary Ann Smith.

    • Earl T. Reed
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
        Patricia,
        Bring up the google search engine (www.google.com). enter your search
        as (+"16th alabama" +"civil war"). You will get about 217 hits. There were
        two units labeled 16th alabama. If you are interested in Jackson County, it
        was the 50th Alabama, sometimes listed as the 26th/50th Alabama since it was
        first named the 26th, but discovered there was already a 26th Alabama. As a
        side note, much of the 26th Alabama was captured at Gettisburg, PA.

        Earl Reed
        Dayton, TN
        > Does anyone have any info. on the 16th. Alabama Civil war 1961-64 I think,
        > Also does anyone have any of the special census for 1866?
        > Thank you so much.
        >

        > In God's Service
        > ah-nee-jah-lah-gee Guh-geh-yoo
        > Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee
        > Patricia Mills
        > <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>
        >
        > Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
        > Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
        > Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky
        >
        > My Brick Wall: Joseph P. Rodgers 1846, who were his parents and where did
        he
        > come from? His Wife: Emily Elizabeth Smith/Rodgers/Lemons 1843, who were
        her
        > parents she lived with her grandparents George and Mary Ann Smith.

        > ---
        > [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Integrity Online using Declude
        AntiVirus]

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Integrity Online using Declude AntiVirus]
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
          Pat

          The only part of the 1866 census on line that I know of is is that of African Americans and that does not include Jackson Co yet. One of the Gullatt cousins sent me the Gullatt family (white and black) I believe he got it from the History Center in Scottsboro. To see the ones that are on line type in Alabama State Censuses into your search engine. The complete 1866 census is available at the LDS Family History Centers on microfilm.

        • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
            Thank you Clay for the reply.
            I talked with a Willie Maryland at the Al. Archives, he tells me that a
            Joseph Rodgers and a Jesse Rodgers were in the war together, possible brothers due
            to them enlisting in the same county Lawrence Co. Al.
            I'm trying to locate as much info. as I can.
            Joseph Rodgers is my direct line.
            I've been trying to find the 1866 census in a book but no luck yet? That film
            is hard on the old eyes, but looks like that's the way I'll have to go.
            Thank you again for all the help.

          • caroledavis3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
              Being a daughter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy I do have a lot
              of info on the Civil War. Their were 2 units of the 16th Alabama. I do not
              know which one you are looking for or if this will help you. This is from Units
              of the Confederate States Army by Joseph Crute Jr.
              16th INFANTRY BATTALION, (also called 4th; also numbered 15th) formerly
              Clifton's 4th or 10th Battalion was organized at Cornith, Mississippi during the
              Spring of 1862. Containing six companies, the battalion was active in the
              defense of Vicksburg and General Breckinridge's operations near Baton Rouge. It
              fought at Cornith under General Rust, then was assigned to Buford's Brigade,
              Dept of Miss and La. During Feb. it merged with 55th Ala Regiment, Lt Colonel
              John Snodgrass and Majors GL Alexander and John Gibson were its field
              officers.

              16th INFANTRY REGIMENT assembled at Courtland. Ala in Aug. 1861 contained men
              from Russell, Lauderdale. Lawrence, Franklin, Cherokee and Marion counties.
              The unit was ordered to Tenn. then Kentucky where it fought at Fishing Creek
              under General Zollicoffer. Later it was assigned to General Wood's, Lowrey's
              and Shelley's Brigade. After taking part in the battles of Shiloh and
              Perryville the 16th participated in the campaigns of the Army of Tenn. from
              Murfreesboro to Atlanta, moved with Hood to Tenn then saw action in North Carolina.
              In Sept. 1861 the regiment totalled 867 effectives. It sustained 168 at
              Murfreeboro and lost 59% of the 414engaged at Chickamauga. During Dec. 1863 there
              were 302 present for duty and 202 arms. It lost 150 killed and wounded at
              Jonesboro and half its remaining force were disabled at 'Franklin and Nashville.
              On April 26, 1865 about 50 officers and men surrendered. It's commanding
              officers were Colonels Fredrick Ashford, AH Helvenston and William B Wood and Lt.
              Colonels John Harris, Joseph J May and John H McGaughy.