Re: Can anyone help this lady?

  • Shirjoyce@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 1999
      Richard,

      I checked my Jackson Co. Books and found 3 Whitfield marriages. Also some
      other books that I have on Jackson Co., AL. Possibly this Whitfield
      information will help to identify or eliminate Whitfield families for the
      researcher.

      BK A 1859-1871
      License 139
      W.C. Whitfield to Mary E. Dicus (see p. 346-license 468)
      License issued 7/2/1864 Solemnized no return

      BK A, 1859-1871
      License 468
      W. C. Whitfield to Mary E. Dicus (see p. 235-License 139
      License issued 7/2/1865 Solemnized 7/2/1865 by Wm. Bellomy, MG

      BK B 1871-1876, p. 181
      Wiley Whitfield to Talitha Snodgrass
      License issued 1/15/1873 Soleminized 1/19/1873
      At Scottsboro by Thos. J. Wood, MG
      Bondsmen: Solomon Robinson

      BK B 1871-1876, p. 560
      Richard Warren to Dona Whitfield
      License issued. 1/15/1876 Solemnized 1/15/1876
      At Scottsboro by Wm. Moore, Minister
      Bondsmen: W. B. Bridges

      There is a Civil War Damage Claim filed with The Southern Claims Commission
      1871-1880
      for a John Whitfield #5845 from Jackson Co., AL.

      A John Whitfield donated sizable land to the County. (To finance the
      courthouse in Scottsboro, I believe.) Deed Bk 3, p. 563 and p. 566.

      Confederate Soldiers
      Co. K., Fourth Regiment
      Pvt.G. Booker Whitfield Killed 7/2/1863, farmer

      Wiley Whitfield was a prominent black businessman in Scottsboro and operated
      a sawmill, was a carpenter and brick mason. He d. in 1931. Wiley once owned
      property in downtown Scottsboro. Wiley Whitfield had a white father and a
      black slave mother.

      1866 Special AL Census
      Township 4, Range 5 E.
      John Whitfield - 1 male over 20, 1 female over 20 and 1 male under 10

      Township 4, Range 6 E.
      W. C. Whitfield 1 male over 20, 1 female over 20 and 1 female under 10, 1
      female 10-20

      Shirley Perry
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 1999

        > I checked my Jackson Co. Books and found 3 Whitfield marriages. Also some
        > other books that I have on Jackson Co., AL. Possibly this Whitfield
        > information will help to identify or eliminate Whitfield families for the
        > researcher.
        >
        > Shirley Perry

        Thanks Shirley, I will pass your information along

        Richard