Re: [jacksongenealogy] Maynard's cove

  • Arvinell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 30, 2004
      I appreciate Mr. Matthews taking the time to write about Maynard's Cove in the 1800s.

      Another question that I have concerns Maynard's Cove, Jackson Co. during the Civil War. Family stories told by Isaac Newton Foster (1852-1929) told about seeing his father Anthony Wayne Foster gunned down by criminal renegades who were neither Confederate nor Union soldiers. This happened on April 4, 1862. These ruffians traveled in front of an approaching army and plundered. Anthony had gone to the front door and opened it when he was shot. Does any one have a source for Jackson County events during the war?
      Soon afterward General Upchurch (Union Army) arrived and heard about Anthony's death, he offered safe passage for young Isaac and his mother to White Co., Illinois. They did go to Illinois at some point. I have heard that John Franklin Tinney and his family also went. John Franklin had believed that Alabama should not succede, nor go to war over slavery. I can imagine that life was not easy for those people in Jackson Co., who did not support the Confederacy and succession.