looking for Trenton "Bottom" Cemetery

  • gerriboat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2003
      Has anyone heard of this cemetery? Where is it?
      Looking for the burial place of Thomas Davis, b 18 March 1865 d. 18 Feb. 1948 was married to Adah Ann Wilbourn.
      Any help will be appreciated..
      Thanks
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2003
        This may well be a reference to Trenton Cemetery since it is located east of Trenton adjacent to what looks like a swampy area on the topo maps. It is the only cemetery I saw marked around Trenton. If the Ada Davis you refer to is the one b. 6-17-1875 d. 12-17-1959 she is buried in Smith Cemetery located on County road 65 SW of Trenton going toward Garth. The stones is this cemetery are referred to as in bad shape, many handmade and of sandstone which does not last long. So Thomas Davis may be buried near his wife in an unmarked grave. Many of the old cemeteries that have not been surveyed will soon fade into history as the stones become unreadable.

        Clay Gullatt

      • gerriboat@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
          I visited Smith Cemetery in Paint Rock yesterday and found Ada Davis grave. She is next to my grandmother Nannie Davis Williams. Family notes indicated that Thomas Davis was buried at a seperate cemetery in Trenton bottom. Yes and several gravestones there are in bad shape. Do you have the directions to the Trenton Cemetery. I could not locate it last night in my search. Thanks.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
            Gerri

            Here are a couple of links.

            1. Type Trenton in the search engine click on Alabama, this will take you to a choice of Trenton Alabama Aerial Photo or Topo map. Click the map or photo to get close in. On the Map the cemetery is denote by a cross and is just over a quarter mile east of county road 65. Appears from the aerial shot there is a good road going to it. If you click the map arrow south you will see the old Webb cemetery, looks like it is across a field in a grove of woods. You can use this search engine to find any place in the USA as long as it is in their database.

            http://terraserver-usa.com/places.aspx

            2. This takes you to the Algenweb Jackson County search engine. Type in cemetery and it will give you 235 of Jackson County's Cemeteries. Each cemetery is searchable by using the edit function or you can type in a surname into the search engine and it will give you the cemeteries, 1850 census and marriages with that surname.

            http://www.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/al/jackson.htm

            3. The book we have been talking about "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" is a book about Jackson County Cemeteries. Now if someone could just find a copy.

            Clay Gullatt

          • gerriboat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
              Thanks so much for the help!
              I really appreciate it.
            • Golden Moments
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2003
                The Huntsville Library has several books regarding cemetaries and marriages,
                etc.

                lg

              • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Gerri,

                  My son has the book, "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers". In the book there is a
                  Trenton Cemetery and there's a Webb (Old Bottom) Cemetery. Is this the one you
                  are talking about? I didn't see a Thomas Davis listed, but there evidently
                  are a lot of unmarked graves.

                  The following is the directions to the Webb Cemetery (Old Bottom):

                  This cemetery is located in Township 3 South, Range 4 East, Section 31,
                  Northwest one fourth about one half mile south of Trenton. The land where the
                  cemetery is situated was entered by John J. Campbell 3 August 1830.

                  There are many, many graves here marked only with native fieldstones and the
                  cemetery is completely overgrown with vines and other growth. Mamy of the
                  graves are sunken, then covered over with vines, making it difficult to walk
                  without stepping in a hole. There may be other tombstones here that we could not
                  locate. This seems to have served as the community cemetery until about 1917
                  - 1919 when the first deaths are recorded in the "new" Trenton cemetery about
                  one half mile north of this site. TVA topo maps show this as the "Webb
                  Cemetery".

                  I hope this helps you. Good luck.
                  Velma

                • subass2000
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29, 2010
                    My 86 year old grandfather has told me about "Big Bottom" cemetery in Trenton. He said that it was near the Trenton cemetery & both of his grandmothers were buried there. Someone (I'll have to ask who) had it for pasture land & when a new generation or maybe a new owner got the land, he turned cattle into it & they knocked over all the headstones. He says that's still part of a pasture & behind a fence today.