Re: Can anyone help this lady?

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 1999
      > From: "piercedc" <piercedc@...>
      >
      > Richard,
      > I appreciate your work on this new site. in reference to this woman's
      > query, has anyone found her any info? If not, i will try to find the 1870
      > census records for her, shouldn't be many Whitfields around here.
      > David

      Thanks David,

      I don't know of any information that has been found for her yet. I'm sure
      any help would be greatly appreciated. All list members are invited to
      contribute as they can.

      I think this mail list can benefit many Jackson County genealogy
      researchers. it's success will be dependent on the use it is given.

      Richard
    • Shirjoyce@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 1999
        Richard,

        I checked my Jackson Co. Books and found 3 Whitfield marriages. Also some
        other books that I have on Jackson Co., AL. Possibly this Whitfield
        information will help to identify or eliminate Whitfield families for the
        researcher.

        BK A 1859-1871
        License 139
        W.C. Whitfield to Mary E. Dicus (see p. 346-license 468)
        License issued 7/2/1864 Solemnized no return

        BK A, 1859-1871
        License 468
        W. C. Whitfield to Mary E. Dicus (see p. 235-License 139
        License issued 7/2/1865 Solemnized 7/2/1865 by Wm. Bellomy, MG

        BK B 1871-1876, p. 181
        Wiley Whitfield to Talitha Snodgrass
        License issued 1/15/1873 Soleminized 1/19/1873
        At Scottsboro by Thos. J. Wood, MG
        Bondsmen: Solomon Robinson

        BK B 1871-1876, p. 560
        Richard Warren to Dona Whitfield
        License issued. 1/15/1876 Solemnized 1/15/1876
        At Scottsboro by Wm. Moore, Minister
        Bondsmen: W. B. Bridges

        There is a Civil War Damage Claim filed with The Southern Claims Commission
        1871-1880
        for a John Whitfield #5845 from Jackson Co., AL.

        A John Whitfield donated sizable land to the County. (To finance the
        courthouse in Scottsboro, I believe.) Deed Bk 3, p. 563 and p. 566.

        Confederate Soldiers
        Co. K., Fourth Regiment
        Pvt.G. Booker Whitfield Killed 7/2/1863, farmer

        Wiley Whitfield was a prominent black businessman in Scottsboro and operated
        a sawmill, was a carpenter and brick mason. He d. in 1931. Wiley once owned
        property in downtown Scottsboro. Wiley Whitfield had a white father and a
        black slave mother.

        1866 Special AL Census
        Township 4, Range 5 E.
        John Whitfield - 1 male over 20, 1 female over 20 and 1 male under 10

        Township 4, Range 6 E.
        W. C. Whitfield 1 male over 20, 1 female over 20 and 1 female under 10, 1
        female 10-20

        Shirley Perry
      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 1999

          > I checked my Jackson Co. Books and found 3 Whitfield marriages. Also some
          > other books that I have on Jackson Co., AL. Possibly this Whitfield
          > information will help to identify or eliminate Whitfield families for the
          > researcher.
          >
          > Shirley Perry

          Thanks Shirley, I will pass your information along

          Richard