WILSONs and TIPTONs of Scottsboro, Jackson Co, Ala.

  • Bl30x90@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 1999
      Hello,
      If the following are members of your family, too, please contact me at
      BL30x90@...

      JOSEPH CARROLL WILSON
      born 1815 or 1816 in Kentucky to unknown parents
      married when? where? to PHERABY COULSON, daughter of Unknown Coulson and
      Pheraby Unknown
      Joseph died December 1866 in Scottsboro
      Pheraby died after Joseph, also in Scottsboro
      their children:
      GEORGE W. Wilson born 1841 Scottsboro
      JAMES CARROLL Wilson born 29 Feb 1844 Scottsboro (James married MARY ELLA
      "NELLIE" TIPTON, also born Scottsboro. More about them in a minute as they
      are the next generation ancestors)
      LOUISA P. Wilson born 1846 Scottsboro
      PHERABY L. Wilson born 1849 Scottsbsoro (named for grandmother and mother)
      NANCY A. Wilson born 1850 Scottsboro
      FRANKLIN P. Wilson born 1852 Scottsboro
      JOSEPH J. Wilson born 1853 Scottsboro
      REBECCA Wilson born 1856 Scottsboro (may have died young, only child not
      mentioned in father's will)
      FLORENCE A. Wilson born 1857 Scottsboro
      MISSOURI L. Wilson born 1865 Scottsboro

      JAMES CARROLL "JIM" WILSON and MARY ELLEN "NELLIE" TIPTON were married
      probably in Scottsboro on 13 Dec 1866.
      James served in the Civil War (Ala. Infantry etc., detailed service record on
      file if anyone is interested) then moved his family to Upshur Co, Texas
      between 1877 and 1880. He died in Gilmer, Upshur Co, Texas on 28 Jan 1935.
      (Upshur is in East Texas)
      MARY ELLEN "NELLIE" TIPTON was born 5 Nov 1850 in Scottsboro to BENJAMIN W.
      "BUD" TIPTON and TEMPERANCE ANN GREEN. We have this TIPTON line back to 1260
      England if anyone is interested.

      James and Mary Ellen had the following children:
      JOSEPH CARROLL WILSON-McLain born 1868 Scottsboro and named for his
      grandfather. I have been told that Joseph (the younger) married and raised a
      family then moved to Oklahoma, changed his surname to McLain, remarried and
      raised a second family. I do not know the details of this tale or even if the
      tale is true.
      BENJAMIN A. "JIM" WILSON born 1872 Scottsboro
      DOCIA BELLE WILSON married LONNIE WINSTON WRIGHT,SR. More about them in a
      minute as they are the next generation ancestors)
      CHARLES MONROE "CHARLIE" WILSON born 1876 Scottsboro
      GEORGE HOUSTON WILSON born 1877 Scottsboro

      The rest of the children were born in Texas. They were Temperance Ann
      "Tempie" Wilson born 1880, Wiley Franklin Wilson born 1881, Minnie Wilson
      born 1882 and died as a child, James Cleveland Wilson born 1888, William
      Price "Will" Wilson born 1889 (the only surviving twin of three sets of
      twins) and John Lester Wilson born 1895.

      This next part will be relatively short as DOCIA BELLE WILSON born 1874
      Scottsboro and LONNIE WINSTON WRIGHT,SR. born 1874 Gilmer, Texas were my
      husband's paternal grandparents. Everything that happened to them happened in
      Texas and y'all probably aren't interested.

      Sorry the posting is so lengthy. I promise not to post it again for a long,
      long time. :)

      Barbara Wright
      Slidell, La.
      BL30x90@...
    • horsefly@xxxx.xxxxxxxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 1999
        Hi Barbara,
        It looks as though I am related to the Wilsons only by marriage. I do have a
        couple that I am sending with this to you. Mine do appear latter than yours.
        Tomie A. Wilson b. July 10, 1898 m. Charlie Dell Holder b. August 18, 1898, and
        Fred G. Wilson m. Temperance Isabell Holder b. August 29, 1877 at Hollywood,
        Clark County AR. I have no idea if these two Wilsons are related. Temperance
        Holder is my great aunt and was the second wife of Fred Wilson and Temp. only had
        one son that never married.
        Charlie Dell Holder is a more distant relitive.
        Wish I could be of more help to you. I have hit the brick wall on my Holder line
        and know what you are up against.
        Later,
        Ted Holder
        Jacksonville FL

      • jewel casey
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 1999
          My grandfather David Wesley Hambrick who settled on Dry Creek near Princeton
          had a brother, Joseph Hambrick, born ca 1821, probably Lincoln County, TN or
          Madison County, AL, who married Bethena Wilson, born ca 1825 in TN. They
          were married 22 Oct 1840 in Franklin County, TN. Bethena died Aug. 1850
          near Princeton, Jackson County, AL Joseph is found on the 1850 Jackson
          County, AL census with 2 daughters and 2 sons; Ruth 9, Bethena 1, Alfred 7,
          and John 4. Living with them is ELIZABETH WILSON 55 TN, which is possibly
          his mother-in-law. Has anyone seen these names during their research on the
          WILSON family. Would appreciate any info.
          Jewel