Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 686

  • dunnsbnj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
      To Lydia and Clay,

      Thank you very much for your help. I have checked Bain & Corbett on message
      boards and found many of both names in Jackson Co. So far no reference to
      John Corbett or James Bain. My Dunn connection did not occur in Jackson but
      years and generations later in AR. My name in the Jackson area connected to James
      Stewart is Carroll. James Stewart's daughter Nancy married Jackson Carroll
      in adjoining Dade GA. I see a lot of mentions of people moving between Jackson
      and Franklin TN. Do you know what the boundary changes were in the early
      1880s? I wondered if it was a possibility of boundary changes rather than
      physical moves? Thanks again, Bill Dunn
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2003
        Bill

        No changes in boundary just good routes of travel. Get a good topographic map of Jackson Co. AL and Franklin Co. TN and you will see the valleys and streams ran NE to SW or N to S and the TN River was the super-highway of the time. Big Crow Creek Valley was an easy way to travel between Franlklin Co and Jackson Co also. You can get good topo maps, with lots of detail from www.topozone.com or www.terraserver.microsoft.com

        Many families from AL and TN inter-married because of the ease of travel between them. Two of my Greatgrandfather's sisters married men from TN in the early 1800s. Julia Ann Gullatt married Israel Boone of Rhea Co TN in 1832 and Nancy Gullatt married Peter Airhart of McMinn Co TN in 1819.