Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Emma Boyd Brooks

    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 5, 2003
      Don't know what happened to her after the census but here is the Census with different birth info.

      1900 US Census 10 Precinct Hollywood Jackson Co. AL
      Emma Roden Head b. Dec 1843 age 56 Widow 3 children 1 living born AL parents b. TN Farmer
      Hattie Frazier Grand-dau b. Nov 1881 age 18 Single b. AL parents b. AL

      No listing for Emma Roden in Jackson Co. Ceneteries. Might try whereever her first husband is buried.

    • Gullick99@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
        I am looking for information on my husband's gggrandmother, Emma Boyd Brooks.
        Emma married A W Brooks (A W Brooks was a JP and at one time was Mayor of
        Scottsboro). They lived in the Hollywood and Pisgah area from 1860 to about
        1906. They had two daughters Ada b. 1860 and Lula b. 1862. Ada and Lula married
        Frazier brothers and both died at an early age. A W Brooks died 1 /4/1896 and
        Emma married A M Roden. Emma was again widowed in 6/1900. Emma married W S
        Kinsolving in 1906 and disappeared. Does anyone know what happen to Emma
        after 1906? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
        Jean Bowen
        Gullick99@...

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
          I looked for an Emma Kinsolving with no luck. Kinsolving is a rare name, none in Jackson County or surrounding counties or nearby TN or GA. No Emma or W.S. Kinsolving on the 1910 or 1920 Census. W.S. Kensolving is listed on the 1880 in KY and 1900 in MO b. 1837 KY.

          I looked up the Frazier brothers?, strange both are named John. John W. married Ada in 1880 and John H. married Loula M.(Lula) in 1884. Both John's are listed with Temp (Temperance) Frazier on the 1870, John W. 11 and John H. 9. John W. 2 is with W.S. and Temperance Frazier on the 1860. W.S. is Smith Frazier on the 1850. Eldest son was William so father likely William Smith Frazier. I think it is likely that John H. is a cousin rather than a brother. Never seen two brothers with the same first name before.

        • Faye W. Craig
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
            Clay, my Kennedys in Jackson County named twin boys the same first name - a
            first for me too.

            Faye

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
              It is not unusual to see the same Christian name given to more than one child if the first one has died. It was a rather common practice at one time. One of my Thrift relations in 1700s VA was so determined to have a daughter named Easter, she named three Easter, the first two having died.

              I think it is rare to see two living children in a family with the same given name.

            • PATG31@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
                In a message dated 6/16/2006 6:13:23 PM Central Daylight Time,
                blackcloud27030@... writes:
                I think it is rare to see two living children in a family with the same given
                name.
                Not as rare as one might think. I know of several cases in my lines where
                children had the same name as another sibling. True, some of the cases were when
                the first child died. Then a couple of the cases involved two wives, the first
                wife having died but each wife had a son named after the father. My
                g-g-grandfather's sister and her husband had 5 or 6 girls. They gave each girl the same
                middle name.

                Pat

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
                  Middle names are another matter. Depending on which religion were or which country your ancestors were from there was a set pattern for using grandparents names as middle names. Some gave all their children the mother's maiden name as a middle name. A 4th greatuncle John Gullatt of Fairfax Co. VA gave all his children the middle name of Geary his wife Anne's maiden name. They were named this way in his will.

                  My Gggrandmother Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt had Yancy as a given name as did her brother Benjamin Yancy Mitchell. Don't know where the Yancy came from her father's mother is unknown, I suspect she was a Yancy, but can't prove it.

                  I have found it common for this type of naming pattern for middle names.

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
                    Is there any particular convention to naming with three names before the
                    last name, as a made-up example John Albert Raymond Smith?
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 16, 2006
                      Most people prior to about 1800 had only one given name unless they had a grandparent's surname as a given name. Just look at the first American Presidents the one that stands out is John Quincy Adams all the rest had only one name. It was only after about 1800 that most people began giving double and triple barrel names, the South is famous for this.

                      Only three or four of John and Manerva Catherine Yancy (Mitchell) Gullatt's 11 children had more than one given name. Often one of those names would be a grandparent's surname or a famous person's name example my Greatgrandfather and his twin brother James Madison and Thomas Jefferson Gullatt. In some cases I have found that grandparent's surnames was handed down through several generations. An example is that of one of my Gullett cousins Dr. George Morris Gullett of AL and GA whose grandmother's maiden name Morris went through several generations.

                      In the case given of John Albert Raymond Smith I would look for a Raymond grandparent or ggrandparent's surname.

                      But then my middle name Clayton is for Dr. Clayton of De Kalb Co. who delivered me in the 1930s. Old name patterns are probably easier to figure out that those after 1900 or so.

                    • zrcb@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                        I saw Emma Boyd Brooks Roden Kinsolving on the 1900 census for Jackson Co
                        (Scottsboro). She was living with her granddaughter. She hadn't married
                        W.S. Kinsolving yet. I think that after they married they moved to Mo. But I
                        don't know which town. I have tried to find information on Archibald
                        (A.W.)Brooks and Emma Boyd. I do know that he was a Justice of the peace in Jackson
                        Co Al. I would like to know when and where they were married. I have a
                        marriage certificate for Ada Brooks and John Frazier also for Loula (Lula) M
                        Brooks and John Frazier. I think Ada and Loula were sisters and Both John"s
                        were brothers.
                        I do know that both of the girls were A.W. and Emma Brooks children. First
                        Ada Brooks married John Frazier and he either passed or divorced Ada. Then
                        she married A.M. Roden.
                        Ada died and A.M.Roden married Emma Brooks after A.W. passed.
                        The reason that I know this Emma Brooks was my GGAunt and I have done a
                        little genealogy on her and Archibald Brooks. I am not to fond of using
                        initials. I can't believe that Archibald Brooks didn't leave a will or something
                        to Emma. I know that he was living in Pisgah when he passed. Not sure where
                        he is buried or where Emma Is buried.
                        Any help is appreciated.
                        Chuck Boyd P.S. Thanks for listening

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                          Chuck

                          William S. Kinsolving is in the 1910 Clay Township, Dunklin Co. MO Census as living with his son Thomas B. Kinsolving House 88 Family 93, Thomas is indexed as Kinsalving. No mention of Emma so assume she has died.

                          William S. Kinsolving Father 72 Wd KY VA KY

                          This is William Stennet Kinsolving b. 5 Apr 1837 KY d. Jan 1915 Hornersville, Dunklin Co. MO according to a family tree. No mention of Emma on the tree.

                          Have to wonder how he met Emma.

                        • zrcb@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                            Thanks a million for the fast response to my query. Wonder how they did
                            meet. Didn't you tell me one time in an email that you were related to the
                            Southerlands. I have seen it spelled
                            different ways in my family. My grandmother was Ida Mae Southerland her
                            parents were E.L.
                            Southerland and Bettie (Elizabeth). Wonder what the E.L. stood for Elijah.
                            I had an Aunt who could have told me all about my grandparents. She would
                            have been old enough to remember them. Of course at the time I wasn't to
                            interested in Genealogy then and I have some relatives on both sides of my
                            family that like to keep all a secret. Oh well!
                            I didn't know that I still had relations in Alabama or that were there in
                            the first place. From what my father told me they all came from Red River Co
                            Texas. They moved to Red River Co in the early 1900's. My father was born
                            there. My grandfather was John Boyd. He was born in Jackson Co Al.
                            Thanks for listening.
                            Chuck

                          • rgpipes@hughes.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                              Boyd, Dolphy to Mary Wellborn 03 Jun 1877 Bk-C P.129
                              Boyd, Jane to William Dickison 08 FEb 1874 Bk-B P.304
                              Boyd, John A. to Nancy Wadkins 22 Mar 1880 Bk-C P.449
                              Boyd, John T. to Mary J. Lasater 28 Oct 1877 Bk-C P.182
                              Boyd, Josey (col) to Able Davis (col) 14 Jun 1877 Bk-C P.132
                              Boyd, Julia A. to Benjamin R. Franks 19 Mar 1873 Bk-B P.203
                              Boyd, Matilda Mrs. to Franklin Goff 10 Feb 1878 Bk-C P.226
                              Boyd, Nathaniel (col) to Jane Renshaw 18 Jan 1876 No Return
                              Boyd, Robert to Mary Waller 27 Jan 1876 Bk-B P.563
                              Boyd, Sarah to Robert Dickerson 29 Sep 1872 Bk-B P.143
                              Boyd, Zekiel to Josephine Johnson 28 Feb 1873 Bk-B P.195

                              Regina

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                                Alabama Land Patents Database: Jackson County -
                                BOYD JAMES A 34 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 120.01 1859/12/01
                                BOYD JAMES A 27 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 0 1859/12/01
                                BOYD JOHN 15 2S 7E
                                HUNTSVILLE 39.96 1834/09/04
                                BOYD JAMES A 27 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 0 1859/12/01
                                BOYD JAMES A 34 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 119.72 1859/12/01
                                BOYD JAMES A 36 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 79.64 1854/06/15
                                BOYD JAMES A 36 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 79.64 1854/06/15
                                BOYD JAMES A 34 4S 4E
                                HUNTSVILLE 0

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                                  Southerland, Cynthia to Harrison R. Gaddis 20 Jul 1864 P.237 L.142
                                  Southerland, Elijah A. to Elizabeth Dickinson 04 Oct 1866 P.419 L.612
                                  Southerland, John to Martha Wright 15 Feb 1853 P.82
                                  Southerland, John to Rosanna Alston 01 Jan 1860 P.116
                                  Southerland, Martha A. to William E. Bogue 27 May 1866 P.373 L.520
                                  Southerland, Oregon to John Privett 18 Feb 1867 P.467 L.713
                                  Southerland, Rachael E. to Hiram S. Freeman 23 Aug 1865 P.271

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                                    Thank you Clay for your efforts. I have come up with the same results as you.
                                    John W and John H were brothers. John H went by "H". I will just keep
                                    looking. Maybe someday I can put Emma to rest. Hope so. Thanks again.
                                    Jean Bowen

                                  • Gullick99@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                                      Hi Chuck,
                                      A W Brooks is buried in Pisgah. I looked for a will the last time I was in
                                      Scottsboro, but could not find one. His obit said he left his wife two homes
                                      and an insurance policy. Did I not send you the obit for A W Brook? Will be
                                      glad to if you would like a copy. John W Frazier died in 1893 and his obit said
                                      he is buried near Bellefonte. Ada died in 1889 and is buried in the
                                      Bellefonte cemetery. Made me wonder if that is not where John W is buried without a
                                      marker. Any information on any of these I will be glad to share.
                                      Jean Bowen

                                    • Gullick99@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 17, 2006
                                        Clay, I also found a Walter Scott Kinsolving in Ky about the same age as
                                        William Stennett. I have not been able to find which one Emma married. Neither
                                        family show them married to Emma. W S Kinsolving's handwriting was very
                                        polished on the marriage certificate. Thanks again for your help.
                                        Jean Bowen

                                      • zrcb@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 18, 2006
                                          Jean
                                          If you don't mind I will like a copy of the obit for A.W. Brooks. On the
                                          headstone for Ada Brooks Frazier her last name is Roden. My Great
                                          grandfather Robert Boyd buried at the old Price cemetery in Bellefonte.
                                          Chuck

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 19, 2006
                                            Chuck

                                            Bettie (Dickinson) Southerland married Silas P. Tubbs 01 Oct 1895. Silas was the widower of Margaret E. Gullatt dau of Thomas Jefferson and Martha Elizabeth (Clark) Gullatt. Thomas was twin brother of my Ggrandfather James Madison Gullatt. It is more complicated than this however as Silas also married Mary Clementine (Robertson) Womack Gullatt the widow of J.W. Womack and Peter H. Gullatt. Peter H. was Margaret E. Gullatt's brother. There is a Mary C.Womack Tubbs buried in Center Point Baptist Cemetery b. 7-19-1859 d. 8-19-1938 if this is her, she and Silas must have divorced.

                                            Bettie and Silas Tubbs are on the 1900 JC census. She said she had 9 children with only 1 living.

                                          • zrcb@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 20, 2006
                                              Thanks a lot for the fast response to my email. I saw that census too.
                                              Where Bettie Southerland said that she had had 9 children and only one lived.
                                              I think that one was Ida Mae Southerland my grandmother who married John
                                              Boyd my grandfather. They were married in Jackson Co. Talk to you later.
                                              Chuck

                                            • gullick.bowen
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 9, 2010
                                                What happen to Emma Boyd Brooks after 1906? My gggrandmother, Emma Boyd married A W Brooks about 1858 in Jackson County, AL. He died in 1896 and Emma married A M Roden. He died in 1900 and Emma married W S Kingsolving at her home in Hollywood, AL. Also, in A W Brooks obit it mention he had a sister, Mrs J M McCord. Any information on Emma after 1906 and on Mrs McCord would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

                                                Jean Bowen
                                                Gullick99@...