Carrs, Edwards and Spencers

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2003
      Hi!

      I have been researching the Carr family from Jackson County for
      quite some time. Just recently I had something of a breakthrough.
      My family in Jackson County was headed by John Carr. You can find
      him in the 1830, 1840 and 1850 censuses. If you check the 1850
      census, you can find John (born SC) with wife Nancy (born KY), along
      with children Bethna (born AL, also known as Bethena), Charlotte
      (born AL), Lihu (born AL, also known as Elihu) and George W (born AL
      and my 3rd gr grandfather). The John Carr family is living next to
      the Jerry and Amy Spencer (born SC) family. There is also a Hugh
      Carr family in Jackson County in 1850. I suspect that Hugh was a
      son of John. They are living next to the family of John and Bethena
      Edwards.

      In 1860, John can be found in Saline County, IL living with a
      Spencer family working as a farm laborer. George W. is married and
      living in Pope County, IL, but had been living in Saline. Nancy,
      Elihu, and Bethena can be found in Stone County, MO. In 1870, I
      cannot find John. Nancy and Bethena are still living in Stone
      County. Elihu is living in Stone County with his wife and two
      children. I cannot find Charlotte after 1850.

      Here is what I am curious about. It appears to me that the Carr,
      Spencer and Edwards families had some sort of relationship beyond
      friendship. In the Stone County censuses, Nancy is living in the
      midst of the same group of Edwards people whom we find in Jackson
      County Alabama. One of those Edwards people is Bethena Edwards. It
      appears that Nancy left John and moved to Stone County with the
      Edwards. Is she related to the Edwards? Perhaps Bethena Edwards was
      a sister of Nancy. Both were from KY. The other interesting fact is
      that the Carrs had a daughter named Bethena. Not a common name, but
      common to the two families. Did Nancy name a daughter after her
      sister?

      Now to John Carr and the Spencers. In Jackson County, he is next
      door to a woman named Amy Spencer who has the same home state as
      his. What could the relation be there? On the other side of the
      Carr family is another Spencer family headed by Abner and Nancy (18
      born AL). In Saline County, John Carr is part of a Spencer family
      with two children born in Alabama. What is the relation?

      I have a lot of speculation but not much hard info outside the
      census info. What I'm hoping is that someone else is out there
      researching the Edwards and Spencer families. If anyone out there
      knows of the relation between the Carrs, Edwards, and Spencers, I
      would be very happy to hear from you. My ultimate goal is to trace
      my Carr family back to SC. Secondarily, I would like to know more
      about Nancy Carr and her line.

      Thanks for reading this!
      Robert Schneider
      Berkeley Missouri
    • Shirley Carter
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26, 2003
        Hi Robert ,
        The Bethany you are talking about was married to John Edwards , she was a Taylor daughter of Samuel Taylor , John
        Edwards traved to Stone CO., MO. With the Crownover's and died shortly after getting to Missouri check out the Stone
        CO., Mo. , Cemsus and you will see or better yet check Stone CO., site and you will find his estate being handle by a
        relative of mine for Bethany he was her brother. The Taylor's and Edwards were related and traveled together alot . I
        am researching the Taylor , Edwards and Grooms along with the Cooks and Brinson's . My Taylor's lived in Jackson CO.,
        AL and Franklin CO., TN at Crow Creek Valley befor moving to Stone CO., MO . If this Bethany was not Samuel's daughter
        without checking my notes she was daughter of Zebedee Taylor Samuel and Marys son . Zebedee married Mary Jane Grooms
        in 1827 and they lived as well as were married in Franklin CO., TN. They had 8 children , Mary was full-blooded
        Cherokee Indian as were her parents George Grooms and Millie Grooms nee Cook . Samuel was said to have been a Indian
        Agent in Bedford TN. This is where his son Zebedee met his wife Mary Jane Grooms . Zebedee and Mary moved to Stone CO.
        , MO. about 1850 as did there son David Taylor he got a land grant for particpating in the Civil war , he got this
        grant in Stone CO., MO. Anyway Mary Jane expired in 1860 in Stone CO., and Zebedee remarried a Martha Palmer a widow
        woman and he expired in 1870 . Don't have alot on the Edwards yet , but I can put you in touch with someone that can
        as he is related through Bethany Edwards nee Taylor. First I must conact him and let him know you will be e-mailing
        him . He lives in North Carlonia , now he came from Kansas to NC. His father still lives in Stone CO., MO. I will be
        waiting for your e-mail conferming this e-mail as well as putting you in contact with the Edwards boy. You can e-mail
        me at cartersa@... , my name is Shirley Carter nee Taylor Have a nice day.
        Shirley

      • robert_s_63134
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
          Hi!

          Thanks to everyone for the great info. Huge help. I believe I also
          have found a couple of cousins on top of everything else.

          Robert Schneider
          Berkeley Missouri