Re: [jacksongenealogy] 1900 census question

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
      1900 Census Blue Pond Precinct no.16 DeKalb Co. AL

      house #375
      Mary Anderson Head Jan 1840 60 Wd 2 child. 2 living b. GA SC GA
      Louiza Kirk Dau Jan 1865 35 Wd 6 child. 4 living b. AL GA GA
      Nancy Kirk Gdau Aug 1879 20 b. AL GA AL
      Edna Gdau Jan 1882 18
      Jimmy Gson June 1886 14
      Mary Gdau Oct 1884 10

      Sure it's possible to be listed more than once on the census different counties, different households, different names . i.e. my Great-aunt Juliet Gullatt on 1850 Jackson Co. Census is listed twice, one with her Grandmother Catherine Gullatt as Juliet then with her father and step-mother as Julia.
      I have found that a lot of stuff on the census can be in error particularly ages. A Great-greataunt always gave her age 10 years younger than she actually was. Some people didn't know when they were born. Birth certificates, court records, you name it they can all contain errors. If an error can be made it will be. I'm actually 4 days older than my birth certificate says for example.

      Clay Gullatt

    • Browne-N@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
        Clay,,,,Can you tell me what the enumeration date is for the census
        info. that you sent on Mary Anderson? it was DeKAlb Co Blue Pond
        Precint #16
        house 375. I think the
        Nancy Kirk is my ggrandmother and is also listed in 1900 Jackson Co..
        with her husband.. Thom Harrison ..so i need to check the enumeration
        dates..
        thank you
        natalie
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
          I'll check but I don't think they are the same person. Nancy E. Harrison gives her birth date as Mar 1878. Nancy Kirk gives hers as Aug 1879 and she is on the 1880 census as being 09 months old. She is with her mother and father Amos (indexed as Amor) and Louiza Kirk on the 1880.

          The question asked was for their age as of 01 June of the census year.
          Was your ggrandmothers maiden name Kirk? Do you know her middle name or initial?

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
            Found their marriage record Thoas. L. Harrison married Nancy Kirk 14 May 1897 DeKalb Co. AL.

          • Browne-N@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2003
              Clay,
              Yes , Nancy Harrisons maiden name was Kirk and her middle name was
              Emmaline... her mother was a Louiza Anderson. I also know for sure
              that Nancy Kirk / Harrison had a brother named James Kirk .. and a
              sister named Mary.. The date of birth for Nancy E. Harrison and Nancy
              Kirk are different though, so i just dont know .
              these could be different nancy kirks.
              thanks for your help...
              Did you notice if Mary ANderson or Louiza Kirk was in 1900 Jackson Co??
              Louiza Kirk married George W. Kirk (Amos's brother) in 1902 in
              Dekalb co. ... I have not found him in the 1900 census yet ..
              natalie
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2003
                Here is a link to Guy W. Kirby's (b. 19 Jul 1872 Jackson Co AL) bio published in 1908.
                http://www.usgennet.org/usa/topic/historical/1908ok_2_26.htm

                He was Principal of schools at Kirby Town, Hennegar and DeKalb Normal. It's somewhat confusing in places and with some error.
                1. James M. Gullatt's wife was Malissa Payne Harper Gullatt.
                2. While James M. Gullatt served as a LT in the FL Indian wars (1830s and served in the Mexican war after his first wife (Juliett Clark) died in 1842/43? and possibly as a Texas Ranger before he return to AL 1847?, he did not serve in the Civil War from what I have found unless it was in some civil capacity. His receiving a land patent argues against military service since you could not patent federal land if you had fought against the United States in the Civil War.
                3.It's John Parks Kirby who died in 1904 and it's is Jane Gullatt Kirby who is living in OK with her children.

                Clay Gullatt

              • lydia flack
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2003
                  i would like to find infomation on steven.son school in jackson thanks lydia
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor