RE: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 663

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7 9:12 AM
      Thanks for your compliment Earl, but let me assure you that many people in
      our area know much more about the former inhabitants of Jackson County than
      I do. What I know I have learned in trying to solve my own brick wall,
      Walker Mathis, b. 1789 Ga m. Luvina Isbell. By following birth places and
      birth dates and relating that information to historical time lines and
      migration patterns I have learned some about why and when our ancestors did
      what they did, but there are so many exceptions to those rules that to try
      to place a specific individual into known trends is many times misleading.

      In a prior post you stated that Lucinda was listed as being 57 or 37 years
      old on the 1850 census. Since she had a 26 years old son, Thomas listed, one
      would assume she was 57 at that time meaning she was born 1793, possibly in
      Georgia. If one looks back at a 1793 Georgia map, one will find that almost
      all of the white settlement was around Savannah and near the Savannah River
      north and east of the City of Savannah. So there is a good possibly your
      Lucinda was born in that area. But since you do not know her maiden name,
      that is probably a dead end. Being a widow, she was listed as head of the
      household, you need to find the given name of her husband. Since the first
      sons name was Thomas, it is a good bet his Fathers name was also Thomas. At
      least that might give you a good starting point. Try doing a google search
      for "Thomas Dent, Lucinda Dent". Many online listing will pop up, maybe one
      of them will give you some information you need.

      I do find that the Dents were late comers to our area. There is not a single
      land grant to a Dent in our county records. For that matter, they seem to
      not be wide spread at all in the US even in the mid 1800's. This
      information is available at http://www.hamrick.com/names/. This may make
      your search a bit easier than a sir name that is overly common. Immigration
      records of the Dent name could be a help.

      I would like to make one other point. As good as the Internet is, about
      helping with genealogy, it is still necessary to dig into library and
      government records to solve the tough genealogy questions. Many, many files
      have not yet been put on line. Also some of the online information cannot be
      trusted to be accurate and written records should be found to verify some of
      that information.

      Good luck with your search, I'm sorry to say I cannot help you much, other
      than the few suggestions I have given. I still have too many brick walls of
      my own to try to solve.

      Bests,

      Richard