Re: Elisha Brandon

    Message 1 of 53 , Aug 7 8:22 AM
      Hi Rhonda:
      Glad I could be of help. That's a great story about your GG-grandfather Elisha B. Brandon. Yes, many familes in Jackson County were divided over the Civil War, my own included. I do wish you would post the story of Elisha B. Brandon on jacksongenealogy or I can do it for you, many people would like to read it.

      While I couldn't find Brandon Springs there is a Brandon Peak or Mtn in the northern part of the county. To find Skyline go to following site:
      www.topozone.com type in skyline al into place search and it will give you a topo and satellite map of Skyline. Its just east of the Skyline Wildlife Mangement Area. Elisha's farm was probably in this area. Rechecked the census image and Elisha is listed in Berry's Store Beat 13. Perhaps someone knows where this was located.

      Yes there are paid genealogy sites where you can search all federal census in all areas.
      ancestry.com has part of them and genealogy.com has part. There are also some free sites, just type genealogy into your browser and it will spit out all kinds.
      Here's a free one for Jackson County and Alabama:
      http://www.rootsweb.com/usgenweb/al/jackson.htm This has 48 listings for Brandons in Jackson County including the 1950 census. I did not find any listing for Elisha on the 1850, only Brandons listed in Jackson Co are Carter, age 51 b. TN, Mary age 50 b. TN and William age 19 b. AL. There are some listed in DeKalb but no Elisha.

      Elisha B. and who I think is his brother Nathan P. Brandon just showed up on the 1870 census out of nowhere. The reason I think they were brothers is the nameing pattern of their children, i.e. Nathan and Elisha among others.

      You might want to contact Ann Chambless at the Jackson County Historical Society, she can be very helpful.

      Clay Gullatt, Mount Airy, NC

    • Alta Fae Brown
      Message 53 of 53 , Jul 28, 2009
        In the 1900 Census Justice Precinct 5, Franklin, Texas it appears that
        Nathan son has married, looking at the California death record it states
        Mary's last name as Mitchell. Is the Mary M Mitchell, who appears to have
        married Elisha R Brandon (son of Nathan) the daughter of James Mitchell in
        Berry Stone Beat district of Jackson, Alabama?