RE: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 653

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      There are no simple answers that cover all the early settlers, so we speak
      and write about them in general terms. We can hardly imaging what this area
      was like 200 years ago when the first squatters moved into Cherokee
      territory around here. From letters that were written by some of my long ago
      kin I've found that their hardships were great even 100 or so years after
      those first settlers. I've found that this area was so ravaged by the WBTS
      that hardly anything was left after the war. I know from my own parents,
      that living conditions were not very good for them up through the first
      quarter of the 20th century. Most of my Jackson County kin for the past six
      generations have been farmers. One thing I learned from my Grandparents is
      that in times passed the farm families were pretty much self sufficient.
      They could live with what was grown/made by them or their neighbors.
      Certainly they had to buy some things from others but their lives were no
      comparison to our life styles. And it is sad to say they still suffered
      greatly from poor medical care and diseases.

      Richard

      This is the answer to the nagging question: Where did they come from? How
      did they get here? Why did they come? What was here when they arrived?
      Certainly an entertaining answer to an entertaining question?

      Thank you,

      Laura Frazier Golden
    • MaryTom482@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
        Thank you so much for such valuable information. I loved reading every
        word...
        Mary Willis Drew