Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 653

  • Golden Moments
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      This is the answer to the nagging question: Where did they come from? How
      did they get here? Why did they come? What was here when they arrived?
      Certainly an entertaining answer to an entertaining question?

      Thank you,

      Laura Frazier Golden
      A Frazier Methodist minister of an ancestor Frazier Cumberland Presbyterian
      minister

      I relayed some background on some of my ancestors to my older and younger
      sibling regarding some of their successes.
      They looked at me and said, "We never would have thought it." Great research
      provides great insights into what they were and what we are and can become.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
        There are no simple answers that cover all the early settlers, so we speak
        and write about them in general terms. We can hardly imaging what this area
        was like 200 years ago when the first squatters moved into Cherokee
        territory around here. From letters that were written by some of my long ago
        kin I've found that their hardships were great even 100 or so years after
        those first settlers. I've found that this area was so ravaged by the WBTS
        that hardly anything was left after the war. I know from my own parents,
        that living conditions were not very good for them up through the first
        quarter of the 20th century. Most of my Jackson County kin for the past six
        generations have been farmers. One thing I learned from my Grandparents is
        that in times passed the farm families were pretty much self sufficient.
        They could live with what was grown/made by them or their neighbors.
        Certainly they had to buy some things from others but their lives were no
        comparison to our life styles. And it is sad to say they still suffered
        greatly from poor medical care and diseases.

        Richard

      • MaryTom482@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
          Thank you so much for such valuable information. I loved reading every
          word...
          Mary Willis Drew