Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 653

  • Barbara Duggan Dahl
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      I was wondering if anyone knew why so many people who settled in Paint Rock
      Valley came through Franklin Co., TN, but were originally from Garrard Co.,
      KY? Was this a common route of migration in the mid 1800s?
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
        There is a natural divide, the Cumberland Mountains, that separates the
        northeastern Alabama border from southern Tennessee. Just north of that
        border, settlers moved in earlier to claim flat farm land. Franklin County
        is in the area that was settled early on, just north of Jackson County.
        There were trails that lead down into the coves, of what was to become our
        Jackson County area. You will find that Franklin County not only supplied
        settlers for Paint Rock Valley but also for Big Coon and Little Coon valleys
        as well as Crow Valley and a number of smaller valleys in Jackson County.
        The mountain tops were of little use to the earlier settlers who were
        looking for valley land for the growing of cotton and corn. Much of this
        resettling occupied early in the 19th century and by mid-century our county
        was fairly thickly settled. All of Jackson County was open to white settlers
        by the 1830's after removal of the Cherokee.

        A similar migration occurred from Kentucky to southern Tennessee, when it
        opened for settlement, late in the 18th century. Read
        http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/features/feature9/migrate.html for some good
        insight into the migration into this area. There is also a great settlement
        map here http://home.hiwaay.net/~prm/ex.jpg.

        Bests,

        Richard

        From: Barbara Duggan Dahl [mailto:bddahl@...]

        I was wondering if anyone knew why so many people who settled in Paint Rock
        Valley came through Franklin Co., TN, but were originally from Garrard Co.,
        KY? Was this a common route of migration in the mid 1800s?
      • Golden Moments
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
          This is the answer to the nagging question: Where did they come from? How
          did they get here? Why did they come? What was here when they arrived?
          Certainly an entertaining answer to an entertaining question?

          Thank you,

          Laura Frazier Golden
          A Frazier Methodist minister of an ancestor Frazier Cumberland Presbyterian
          minister

          I relayed some background on some of my ancestors to my older and younger
          sibling regarding some of their successes.
          They looked at me and said, "We never would have thought it." Great research
          provides great insights into what they were and what we are and can become.
          > There is a natural divide, the Cumberland Mountains, that separates the
          > northeastern Alabama border from southern Tennessee. Just north of that
          > border, settlers moved in earlier to claim flat farm land. Franklin County
          > is in the area that was settled early on, just north of Jackson County.
          > There were trails that lead down into the coves, of what was to become our
          > Jackson County area. You will find that Franklin County not only supplied
          > settlers for Paint Rock Valley but also for Big Coon and Little Coon
          valleys
          > as well as Crow Valley and a number of smaller valleys in Jackson County.
          > The mountain tops were of little use to the earlier settlers who were
          > looking for valley land for the growing of cotton and corn. Much of this
          > resettling occupied early in the 19th century and by mid-century our
          county
          > was fairly thickly settled. All of Jackson County was open to white
          settlers
          > by the 1830's after removal of the Cherokee.
          >
          > A similar migration occurred from Kentucky to southern Tennessee, when it
          > opened for settlement, late in the 18th century. Read
          > http://mshistory.k12.ms.us/features/feature9/migrate.html for some good
          > insight into the migration into this area. There is also a great
          settlement
          > map here http://home.hiwaay.net/~prm/ex.jpg.
          >
          > Bests,
          >
          > Richard
          >

          > From: Barbara Duggan Dahl [mailto:bddahl@...]
          >

          > I was wondering if anyone knew why so many people who settled in Paint
          Rock
          > Valley came through Franklin Co., TN, but were originally from Garrard
          Co.,
          > KY? Was this a common route of migration in the mid 1800s?

        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
            There are no simple answers that cover all the early settlers, so we speak
            and write about them in general terms. We can hardly imaging what this area
            was like 200 years ago when the first squatters moved into Cherokee
            territory around here. From letters that were written by some of my long ago
            kin I've found that their hardships were great even 100 or so years after
            those first settlers. I've found that this area was so ravaged by the WBTS
            that hardly anything was left after the war. I know from my own parents,
            that living conditions were not very good for them up through the first
            quarter of the 20th century. Most of my Jackson County kin for the past six
            generations have been farmers. One thing I learned from my Grandparents is
            that in times passed the farm families were pretty much self sufficient.
            They could live with what was grown/made by them or their neighbors.
            Certainly they had to buy some things from others but their lives were no
            comparison to our life styles. And it is sad to say they still suffered
            greatly from poor medical care and diseases.

            Richard

          • MaryTom482@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
              Thank you so much for such valuable information. I loved reading every
              word...
              Mary Willis Drew