Re: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

  • Foristerpf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
      kingry@... writes:

      > are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama

      Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
      Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
      are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

      My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
      That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
      SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
      1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
      the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
      documents to it.

      Thanks,
      Phoebe

    • Brenda L
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hello Phoebe
        Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? She is buried at Chaney Chapel and 2 of her kid's one daughter is still living .

        Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
        Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
        are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

        My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
        That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
        SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
        1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
        the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
        documents to it.

        Thanks,
        Phoebe

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Foristerpf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
          Brendal@... writes:

          > Hello Phoebe
          > Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? No.
          >
          > Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? Yes, but not
          > directly. Her brother William Jesse MURPHREE was my great grandfather. He
          > married Sarah HUGHES that I have been told worked at this post office. I will
          > probably have to make a trip up there to search for records on the Dutton post
          > office. I just wondered if they existed and if so where they are.

          Phoebe