Re: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

  • Golden Moments
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
      I remember the old Dutton Post Office. We lived on a dirt road about one
      mile from it. We would walk from our house on the Pleasant Hill Road to
      Dutton. I also went to school the old white, wooden, schoolhouse from the
      3rd to fourth grade. It burned. We attended school in the Baptist Church
      until they rebuilt the current brick elementary school. I was in the fourth
      grade or fifth grade there.

      Laura Golden
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
        kingry@... writes:

        > are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama

        Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
        Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
        are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

        My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
        That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
        SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
        1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
        the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
        documents to it.

        Thanks,
        Phoebe

      • Brenda L
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
          Hello Phoebe
          Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? She is buried at Chaney Chapel and 2 of her kid's one daughter is still living .

          Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
          Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
          are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

          My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
          That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
          SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
          1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
          the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
          documents to it.

          Thanks,
          Phoebe

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Foristerpf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
            Brendal@... writes:

            > Hello Phoebe
            > Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? No.
            >
            > Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? Yes, but not
            > directly. Her brother William Jesse MURPHREE was my great grandfather. He
            > married Sarah HUGHES that I have been told worked at this post office. I will
            > probably have to make a trip up there to search for records on the Dutton post
            > office. I just wondered if they existed and if so where they are.

            Phoebe