Re: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

  • Phillip A. Kingry
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
      are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Foristerpf@...
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 10:49 AM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

      Hi,

      Does anyone know where I can find a history of the Dutton, Alabama Post
      Office? I'm told that some of my ancestors ran this post office at some time and I
      am interested in finding any kind of documents to this.

      Thank you,
      Phoebe in Florida

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
        If you will get a copy of John Robert Kennamer's "History of Jackson
        County, Alabama" and turn to page 180, you can read all about the community
        of Dutton located on Sand Mountain and named for M. M. Dutton, the first
        postmaster in the community.

      • Golden Moments
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
          I remember the old Dutton Post Office. We lived on a dirt road about one
          mile from it. We would walk from our house on the Pleasant Hill Road to
          Dutton. I also went to school the old white, wooden, schoolhouse from the
          3rd to fourth grade. It burned. We attended school in the Baptist Church
          until they rebuilt the current brick elementary school. I was in the fourth
          grade or fifth grade there.

          Laura Golden
          > sorry was just trying to help...my husbands people are from Dothan, Ala
          and sneads, flo...and so far I have had my hands full trying to do my
          Flanders and waller.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Phillip A. Kingry
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
            sorry was just trying to help...my husbands people are from Dothan, Ala and sneads, flo...and so far I have had my hands full trying to do my Flanders and waller.
            good luck on your search
            Mary Lou Flanders Kingry
            If you will get a copy of John Robert Kennamer's "History of Jackson
            County, Alabama" and turn to page 180, you can read all about the community
            of Dutton located on Sand Mountain and named for M. M. Dutton, the first
            postmaster in the community.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Foristerpf@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
              kingry@... writes:

              > are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama

              Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
              Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
              are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

              My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
              That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
              SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
              1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
              the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
              documents to it.

              Thanks,
              Phoebe

            • Brenda L
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2003
                Hello Phoebe
                Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? She is buried at Chaney Chapel and 2 of her kid's one daughter is still living .

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 2, 2003
                  Brendal@... writes:

                  > Hello Phoebe
                  > Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? No.
                  >
                  > Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? Yes, but not
                  > directly. Her brother William Jesse MURPHREE was my great grandfather. He
                  > married Sarah HUGHES that I have been told worked at this post office. I will
                  > probably have to make a trip up there to search for records on the Dutton post
                  > office. I just wondered if they existed and if so where they are.

                  Phoebe