Re: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

  • Foristerpf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1 9:24 AM
      In a message dated 7/31/03 10:32:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      pastorl@... writes:

      > A native Dutton woman, last name Teague, published a book about the history
      > of Dutton.

      Do you know if she included anything about the post office in her book?
      Thanks,
      Phoebe

    • Golden Moments
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1 10:01 AM
        To all interested parties regarding the book about Dutton, Alabama.
        I have not read the book, however, I do know that someone whose maiden name
        is Teague compiled info: about the history of Dutton and placed it in a
        book.
        You may find out more about this by calling her sister, JoAnne married to
        Tommy Hurst at Dutton, Al. She will be able direct you in the right
        direction.

        Laura
        > In a message dated 7/31/03 10:32:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > pastorl@... writes:
        >
        > > A native Dutton woman, last name Teague, published a book about the
        history
        > > of Dutton.
        > >

        > Do you know if she included anything about the post office in her book?
        > Thanks,
        > Phoebe

      • Phillip A. Kingry
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1 12:07 PM
          are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1 12:25 PM
            If you will get a copy of John Robert Kennamer's "History of Jackson
            County, Alabama" and turn to page 180, you can read all about the community
            of Dutton located on Sand Mountain and named for M. M. Dutton, the first
            postmaster in the community.

          • Golden Moments
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1 12:33 PM
              I remember the old Dutton Post Office. We lived on a dirt road about one
              mile from it. We would walk from our house on the Pleasant Hill Road to
              Dutton. I also went to school the old white, wooden, schoolhouse from the
              3rd to fourth grade. It burned. We attended school in the Baptist Church
              until they rebuilt the current brick elementary school. I was in the fourth
              grade or fifth grade there.

              Laura Golden
              > sorry was just trying to help...my husbands people are from Dothan, Ala
              and sneads, flo...and so far I have had my hands full trying to do my
              Flanders and waller.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Phillip A. Kingry
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1 12:40 PM
                sorry was just trying to help...my husbands people are from Dothan, Ala and sneads, flo...and so far I have had my hands full trying to do my Flanders and waller.
                good luck on your search
                Mary Lou Flanders Kingry
                If you will get a copy of John Robert Kennamer's "History of Jackson
                County, Alabama" and turn to page 180, you can read all about the community
                of Dutton located on Sand Mountain and named for M. M. Dutton, the first
                postmaster in the community.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Foristerpf@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1 1:48 PM
                  kingry@... writes:

                  > are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama

                  Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
                  Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
                  are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

                  My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
                  That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
                  SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
                  1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
                  the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
                  documents to it.

                  Thanks,
                  Phoebe

                • Brenda L
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1 3:53 PM
                    Hello Phoebe
                    Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? She is buried at Chaney Chapel and 2 of her kid's one daughter is still living .

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 2 8:40 AM
                      Brendal@... writes:

                      > Hello Phoebe
                      > Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? No.
                      >
                      > Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? Yes, but not
                      > directly. Her brother William Jesse MURPHREE was my great grandfather. He
                      > married Sarah HUGHES that I have been told worked at this post office. I will
                      > probably have to make a trip up there to search for records on the Dutton post
                      > office. I just wondered if they existed and if so where they are.

                      Phoebe