Re: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

  • Helen Bailey
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1 6:23 AM
      I would also be interested in the book about Dutton. My great granddad homesteaded up there and my granddad spent all but aboout 17 or 18 years living there.

      Helen
      Phil 4:4

      SHEILA MCCLOUD <s_mccloud@...> wrote:
      Anyone know where you can get the book on Dutton?

      Golden Moments <pastorl@...> wrote:A native Dutton woman, last name Teague, published a book about the history
      of Dutton.
      Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 9:49 AM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] History of Dutton, Alabama Post Office ??

      > Hi,
      >
      > Does anyone know where I can find a history of the Dutton, Alabama Post
      > Office? I'm told that some of my ancestors ran this post office at some
      time and I
      > am interested in finding any kind of documents to this.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Phoebe in Florida

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1 9:24 AM
        In a message dated 7/31/03 10:32:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        pastorl@... writes:

        > A native Dutton woman, last name Teague, published a book about the history
        > of Dutton.

        Do you know if she included anything about the post office in her book?
        Thanks,
        Phoebe

      • Golden Moments
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1 10:01 AM
          To all interested parties regarding the book about Dutton, Alabama.
          I have not read the book, however, I do know that someone whose maiden name
          is Teague compiled info: about the history of Dutton and placed it in a
          book.
          You may find out more about this by calling her sister, JoAnne married to
          Tommy Hurst at Dutton, Al. She will be able direct you in the right
          direction.

          Laura
          > In a message dated 7/31/03 10:32:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > pastorl@... writes:
          >
          > > A native Dutton woman, last name Teague, published a book about the
          history
          > > of Dutton.
          > >

          > Do you know if she included anything about the post office in her book?
          > Thanks,
          > Phoebe

        • Phillip A. Kingry
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1 12:07 PM
            are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama
            Does anyone know where I can find a history of the Dutton, Alabama Post
            Office? I'm told that some of my ancestors ran this post office at some time and I
            am interested in finding any kind of documents to this.

            Thank you,
            Phoebe in Florida

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1 12:25 PM
              If you will get a copy of John Robert Kennamer's "History of Jackson
              County, Alabama" and turn to page 180, you can read all about the community
              of Dutton located on Sand Mountain and named for M. M. Dutton, the first
              postmaster in the community.

            • Golden Moments
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1 12:33 PM
                I remember the old Dutton Post Office. We lived on a dirt road about one
                mile from it. We would walk from our house on the Pleasant Hill Road to
                Dutton. I also went to school the old white, wooden, schoolhouse from the
                3rd to fourth grade. It burned. We attended school in the Baptist Church
                until they rebuilt the current brick elementary school. I was in the fourth
                grade or fifth grade there.

                Laura Golden
                > sorry was just trying to help...my husbands people are from Dothan, Ala
                and sneads, flo...and so far I have had my hands full trying to do my
                Flanders and waller.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Phillip A. Kingry
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1 12:40 PM
                  sorry was just trying to help...my husbands people are from Dothan, Ala and sneads, flo...and so far I have had my hands full trying to do my Flanders and waller.
                  good luck on your search
                  Mary Lou Flanders Kingry
                  If you will get a copy of John Robert Kennamer's "History of Jackson
                  County, Alabama" and turn to page 180, you can read all about the community
                  of Dutton located on Sand Mountain and named for M. M. Dutton, the first
                  postmaster in the community.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Foristerpf@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1 1:48 PM
                    kingry@... writes:

                    > are u sure it is not Dothon Alabama

                    Dothan is in the southern part of Alabama. I have no ancestors from Dothan,
                    Alabama. My mom's ancestors lived in Dutton and Section, Alabama. My surnames
                    are ZEIGLER, MURPHREE, MCKENZIE, HUGHES, SIMMONS, SLOAN (SLONE).

                    My mom told me that her grandmother at one time ran the Dutton Post Office.
                    That it was in the back of their house. Recently another distant cousin in my
                    SIMMONS family sent me copies of notes his mother wrote back in the early
                    1970's and in her notes she wrote that some of our ancestors helped start and run
                    the post office. Not sure if this is fact but wanted to find any kind of
                    documents to it.

                    Thanks,
                    Phoebe

                  • Brenda L
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 1 3:53 PM
                      Hello Phoebe
                      Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? She is buried at Chaney Chapel and 2 of her kid's one daughter is still living .

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 2 8:40 AM
                        Brendal@... writes:

                        > Hello Phoebe
                        > Are you related to the Nash group that lives in Bryant? No.
                        >
                        > Are you related to Maggie Murphree that married Walter Knight? Yes, but not
                        > directly. Her brother William Jesse MURPHREE was my great grandfather. He
                        > married Sarah HUGHES that I have been told worked at this post office. I will
                        > probably have to make a trip up there to search for records on the Dutton post
                        > office. I just wondered if they existed and if so where they are.

                        Phoebe