Miles Homestead

  • TSims97447@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
      Sam writes:

      Can anyone in this group tell me where this homestead is located?  This land
      was homestead  in 1896 by John H. Miles, which is my grandfather, at least I
      think
      this is my grandfather.

      Legal Land Description:
      # Aliquot Parts Block # Base Line Fractional Section
      Township Range Section #
      1 SWSE   HUNTSVILLE No 2S 10E 19
      2 W½NE   HUNTSVILLE No 2S 10E 3
      3 SENE   HUNTSVILLE No 2S 10E 3

      Sam, according to my map, Section 19 is located just west of Higdon. There
      is no section 3 in this location, but appears to be in Dade Co, GA. If it
      could perhaps be Section 30 instead of 3, all this land connects. Section 30 is
      just below Section 19 in Township 2S Range 10E..........Gail

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2003
        According to the BLM records it is in section thirty not section three and is listed as being in Jackson and DeKalb Co.. Also a John H. Miles patented land in Tuscaloosa Co in 1885.

      • Sam McDowell
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
          John H Miles(born and raised in White Co., Ga.) lived
          in Dekalb Co., Al with his first wife Nancy Lee McGee,
          dau of Abner McGee and Sarah Wilson, before entering
          Jackson Co. Some of his children with Nancy are buried
          in Skirum Cemetery, Dekalb Co., Al. He married Sarah
          Elizabeth Hurt, dau of William Hurt (my grandmother)
          in Rising Fawn, Ga in Sept 1900. So, section 30 is
          probably correct.
          Thank you all for your help.
          Sam

          http://sbc.yahoo.com