Re: [jacksongenealogy] Gross Springs

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 4, 2003
      According to the USGS Alabama Names List Gross Springs is near Flat Rock coordinates 34 deg 52 min 21 sec North 85 deg 40 min 41 sec West.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4, 2003
        Sam

        Guess I should have check the map coordinates first, Gross Springs is about 3 and a half miles east of Cameronsville or 4 miles nw of Higdon, it is in Long Island Cove. If you want will email you the map.

      • Sam McDowell
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4, 2003
          Clay,
          Thank you so much. I would like to have a copy of the
          map.
          EMAIL ADDRESS; sammc1973@...

          --- clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
          > Sam
          >
          > Guess I should have check the map coordinates first,
          > Gross Springs is about 3 and a half miles east of
          > Cameronsville or 4 miles nw of Higdon, it is in Long
          > Island Cove. If you want will email you the map.
          >

          > Clay

          > removed]

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Brenda L
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2003
            I would love a copy too Please. I still have relatives that live there. Brendal@... Thanks
            Brenda L
            Thank you so much. I would like to have a copy of the
            map.
            EMAIL ADDRESS; sammc1973@...

            --- clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
            > Sam
            >
            > Guess I should have check the map coordinates first,
            > Gross Springs is about 3 and a half miles east of
            > Cameronsville or 4 miles nw of Higdon, it is in Long
            > Island Cove. If you want will email you the map.
            >

            > Clay

            > removed]

            http://sbc.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • T'Lene
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
              I've contacted several Bryant residents, but no one seems to know the location of Gross Springs where many of my ancestors were listed on various censuses. I believe it would've been atop Sand Mtn in/near Bryant aka Long Island or the Hog Jaw Valley area at the foot of the mountain. Thanks for any possible help.
            • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                It is at the end of County Road 676 not too far from Gray Cemetery. The terrain map shows it down in a valley with Hog Jaw Valley Rd (Co Rd 91) at the end of it running  along the TN River across from Stevenson/Bridgeport Airport. You can google it as Gross Springs Jackson County Alabama.

                Clay

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                  Many thanks. I had wondered about the area there. My great grandfather raised his family in a house at the foot of the Mtn. Yrs ago my late husband and I located the property George Washington Bryant lived. The road in front of their home no longer exists, but the current owner took us back to the site where it had been. All remaining was rocks for chimney or foundation. I was fortunate to obtain a good sized one. The gentleman said he used to play in that area and remembered it before its collapse.

                  Thanks to everyone in our group. You are so helpful to everyone.

                  On Aug 30, 2012, at 12:54 PM, blackcloud27030@... wrote:

                  > It is at the end of County Road 676 not too far from Gray Cemetery. The terrain map shows it down in a valley with Hog Jaw Valley Rd (Co Rd 91) at the end of it running along the TN River across from Stevenson/Bridgeport Airport. You can google it as Gross Springs Jackson County Alabama.
                  >
                  > Clay
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Anne P. Johnson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                    Here it is on a map:

                    http://alabama.hometownlocator.com/maps/feature-map,ftc,1,fid,119442,n,gross%20spring.cfm

                    On Aug 30, 2012, at 1:08 PM, T'Lene wrote:

                    > Many thanks. I had wondered about the area there. My great
                    > grandfather raised his family in a house at the foot of the Mtn. Yrs
                    > ago my late husband and I located the property George Washington
                    > Bryant lived. The road in front of their home no longer exists, but
                    > the current owner took us back to the site where it had been. All
                    > remaining was rocks for chimney or foundation. I was fortunate to
                    > obtain a good sized one. The gentleman said he used to play in that
                    > area and remembered it before its collapse.
                    >
                    > Thanks to everyone in our group. You are so helpful to everyone.
                    >
                    > On Aug 30, 2012, at 12:54 PM, blackcloud27030@... wrote:
                    >
                    > > It is at the end of County Road 676 not too far from Gray
                    > Cemetery. The terrain map shows it down in a valley with Hog Jaw
                    > Valley Rd (Co Rd 91) at the end of it running along the TN River
                    > across from Stevenson/Bridgeport Airport. You can google it as Gross
                    > Springs Jackson County Alabama.
                    > >
                    > > Clay
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • Larry Williams
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                      At the foot of Sand Mountain towards Stevenson is County Road 91 which
                      turns off Hwy 117 before you go across the bridge . Off County Road
                      91/Hogjaw Valley Road is County Road 676 which goes by Gray Cemetery.
                      Located at the end of this is a place calle Gross Spring. I am not sure of
                      the condition of County Road 676.
                      County Road 676 is a dead end road and I am not sure whether the Spring is
                      on top pof the mountain or at the foot of the mountain.

                      --
                      Larry G. Williams
                      Co-Director, Agrimissions

                    • T'Lene
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                        This is great. Thank you.
                        T'Lene

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                          I've been in that area many yrs ago. I think it was called Long Islet Cove. There was a locked gate after passing the Gray Cemetery. I recall there were a couple of Bryants buried there, too. This was abt 1986 and early in my research. I will make another trip there in October.
                          Great info.
                          T'Lene

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 30, 2012
                            No problem. Hope you find what you are looking for!