Peters Pond

  • Ann Chambless
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
      Peters Pond was in the Wannville community which is east of U.S. Highway
      72 and west of the Tennessee River. In locating Wannville area on
      contemporary map, one should look about 2 miles southeast of Stevenson
      and about 13 miles north of the eastern limits of Scottsboro. I have
      been told by older (now deceased) genealogy friends that Peters Pond
      was named for Peter Blansett and there was a Baptist Church in the area
      also called Peters Pond Church many, many years ago.
      Ann B. Chambless
      abc123@...
    • nblanset@tcac.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
        Hello Ann:

        Thats the one.

        Thank you very much.

        Norman Blansett

      • nblansett@cox.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29, 2006
          Hello List:

          I have seen a document entitled " Peters Pond Alliance "

          Church was Located in Jackson County in the 1800's.

          I would like to know where a membership list could be found.

          Norman Blansett
        • kathy edwards
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 29, 2006
            I would like to know more about the Peters Pond Alliance also.
            What it was, church, lodge, etc.

            I do have an old Minutes Book.
            It is not in very good shape.
            On one page dated Aug. 18, 1888 and with title "Officers and Members of
            Peters Pond Alliance", No 532 are the following names.

            G. L. Shrader President
            C. H. Holder Vice
            J. T. Helms Sec.
            G. W. Shrader Treasure
            E. J. Holder Door Keeper
            D. C. Miller Ast.
            Z. Helms Lecture
            J. P. Ledbetter Ast.
            M. or W. L Bryant Cha0plain?
            W. M. Bishop Sergent at Arms
            P. M. Ledbetter
            James Owens
            Charles Gist
            D. C. Hays
            Wash Bass
            John Hays
            J. W. Holder
            Arminda Shrader
            Emma Miller
            Lizzie Miller
            Ara Grider
            John H. Holloway
            James Stuart
            Sarah C. Brazleton
            Wesley York
            John Beem

            >From: <nblansett@...>
            >To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Peters Pond
            >Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:19:35 -0500
            >
            >Hello List:
            >
            >I have seen a document entitled " Peters Pond Alliance "
            >
            >Church was Located in Jackson County in the 1800's.
            >
            >I would like to know where a membership list could be found.
            >
            >Norman Blansett

          • Ann B. Chambless
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 29, 2006
              Based on my limited knowledge from a few old newspaper announcements for
              Farmers Alliances organized throughout the county, I feel your Peters Pond
              Alliance record book is for a Farmers Alliance which was organized in the
              Wannville area. The names you cited from your old minutes book all lived in
              the general area of Wannville by the 1880s.
              I know that Peters Pond was in the present-day area of Wannville. Family
              tradition from the Blansett family states that Peters Pond was named for old
              Peter Blansett who settled in the Wannville area byu 1819. Peter Blansett
              signed the March 1819 memorial whereby early settlers/squatters petitioned
              the U.S. Government in an effort to avoid being removed from Cherokee land
              in what became Jackson County on December 14, 1819.
              Jerda Holder Stevens of Huntsville, AL, is presently writing a memoir-type
              history of the Wannville community where she was raised.
              Ann B. Chambless
            • kathy edwards
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 30, 2006
                This is very interesting. I think my sister-in-law knows a lot about
                Wannville but not so far back.
                Her mother would have been able to tell you a lot but she passed away a
                while ago.
                I'll bet Janet, my sister-in-law would be interested in getting a copy of
                this book.
                Also, I think I have a copy of an 1834 deed with some Blancett's on it, I
                think Peter maybe.
                Also something in the old Shrader trunk was the Peter's Pond Stamp. It was
                black metal with gold writing and would stamp Peter's Pond on paper about
                the size of a quarter to half dollar.
                I thought the Alliance was either a section of Woodsmen of the World or
                something besides a church but didn't know. They had a speaker, took up
                dues, etc. Nothing exciting.

                >From: "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...>
                >To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Peters Pond
                >Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:47:03 -0600
                >
                >Based on my limited knowledge from a few old newspaper announcements for
                >Farmers Alliances organized throughout the county, I feel your Peters Pond
                >Alliance record book is for a Farmers Alliance which was organized in the
                >Wannville area. The names you cited from your old minutes book all lived
                >in
                >the general area of Wannville by the 1880s.
                >I know that Peters Pond was in the present-day area of Wannville. Family
                >tradition from the Blansett family states that Peters Pond was named for
                >old
                >Peter Blansett who settled in the Wannville area byu 1819. Peter Blansett
                >signed the March 1819 memorial whereby early settlers/squatters petitioned
                >the U.S. Government in an effort to avoid being removed from Cherokee land
                >in what became Jackson County on December 14, 1819.
                >Jerda Holder Stevens of Huntsville, AL, is presently writing a memoir-type
                >history of the Wannville community where she was raised.
                >Ann B. Chambless

              • kathy edwards
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 30, 2006
                  I have a coppier/scanner, but it would be easier to copy it and send it to
                  you than it would to scan each page.