Kelso

  • Bud and Sandy
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
      Hi all,

      I am new to the list so I thought I would see if I might connect with anyone on this family. This is one of my brick walls so I hope there is someone out there who can help.

      My gggrandfather was Isaac Hudson Kelso b. 1820 Jackson Co., Ala. (according to pension papers filed by his widow) and d. 9-27-1886 Pototoc Co., Miss. He had a brother named James R. Kelso b. 9-8-1819 and d. 11-20-1884 Itawamba Co., Miss.

      Isaac married 3 times 1 Caroline Pierce March 1841 Itawamba Co., Miss., 2 Sarah Jane Maxcy 6-18-1844 and Mary Francis S. Organ 6-9-1870. He had a total of 8 children.

      James R. Kelso married 2 times. The first spouse is unknown right now but the second spouse was Ellen C. Starkey Nov. 20, 1855 Jackson Co., Ala. I don't know if he had any children with his first wife but I know that he had at least 6 with his second.

      I know that both Isaac and James served in the Florida Wars at 1840 from Ala. Their family was suppose to be located along with other Kelso's in Jackson and Blount Co., Ala. I was also told that a Hugh, Andrew and James Kelso received land grants in Jackson Co., Ala. I don't know anything about any of these men.

      My problem is that I do not know who the parents or siblings are for Isaac and James. There is a possability that their father might be named Hugh but I am not sure.

      Is there anyone out there that might be able to help?

      Sandy
      noordhof@...

    • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
        Isaac Kelso was a Corporal, Co. K (Bolivar area), Jackson County, AL during
        the 2nd Seminole War in 1837-38. James Kelso was a Private in the same
        company. James married Polina A. E. McMahan, daughter of Sanders and Nancy
        McMahan. James and Polina (Chitty) Kelso were the parents of Zana T. who
        married Robert Rudder, Louisiana (Lou) P. who married Hugh Rudder, Manurva,
        and John S. Kelso.
        Christopher Columbus Cloud married Conzada Kelso on Dec. 16, 1852. Conzada
        was born in 1834 in Jackson County and died October 30, 1904 in the same
        county. I have not researched the parents of Conzada.
        Sources: Eliza B. Woodall, "The Stevenson Story", and the Cloud family
        genealogy.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2003
          James R. Kelso of MS and James Kelso (m. Paulina) of Jackson Co. AL are different people. James Kelso Jackson Co. is listed as 41 years old on 1870 census birth date would be 1829. So it was James R. who fought in the Florida Indian Wars. Paulina is listed as widow on 1880 census, they had a total of 9 children from what's listed on 1870 & 1880 census. Youngest on 1880 was 3 years old giving him a death dated of 1876 to 1880.

          Earliest land records in Al for Kelso is for Henry Kelso of Lincoln Co. TN who patented 80 acres in Larmar Co. AL 20 Nov 1822.

          To see other land records go to web site:

          http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/

          There are records for Andrew, Hugh, James(not patented until 1885 so another James) and Henry.

        • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
            There was an Andrew Kelso listed in the Jackson County 1840 census. He was
            bet. 40 - 50 years old, wife bet. 40 - 50, one male 10-15, one male 15-20,
            two females 5-10 and one female 20-30.
            William Kelso was listed in the Marshall County (adjoining Jackson) in the
            1840 census. He also was bet. 40-50 years old, wife bet. 40-50, one male
            under 5, one male 5-10, three males 10-15, one male 15-20, two males 20-30,
            one female under 5 and one female 15-20.
            A William Kelso was listed in the Blount County 1850 census. His age was 55
            and he was born in KY. His wife, Naonna, was 52 and born in AL. Children
            were James 22 born in AL, David 21 born in AL, Archabala (M) 14 born in AL,
            Frances (F) 12 born in AL and Sophena 10 born in AL. This William fits the
            William listed in the 1840 Marshall County census.
            A Andrew Kelso was living in MO in 1850. He and his wife, Isaphonia, were
            also born in KY. It seems that KY is a good place to begin searching for
            older generation Kelsos.

            RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
            rshirley@...
            Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26, 2003
              Oops that should be turn left onto HWY 65 North just before you get to Paint Rock.
              Must need new glasses.