Cowan Tunnel

  • wdavidw@xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 1999
      You can view the tunnel at
      http://nostalgiaville.com/hills/franklin/31c.htm

      By backing up through the address you can find other interesting sites.
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 1999
        Thanks for the address to the pictures of the tunnel Mr. Woodall. That tunnel is closely connected to Jackson County history and there is little doubt that many Jackson county men worked on the digging of the tunnel.

        I assume that the limestone plants on both sides of the mountain resulted from the digging of all that limestone rock out of the mountain.

        Mrs. Woodall of Stevenson, in her book wrote (speaking from my memory) that prior to the completion of the railroad that hog drovers from Kentucky drove their herds overland down through the Cowan area across the mountain, through Jackson county and on down to the port at Charleston. What a Godsend the railroad was for the farmers.

        I would suppose that the same route across Cumberland mountain was used by our early Jackson County pioneers to start populating that area of North Jackson. There are strong family ties across that part of the border between Alabama and Tennessee.

        The study of area history links hand in hand with the study of area genealogy.

        Richard