Let's talk genealogy!

  • Cynthia Robbins
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 20, 2003
      When I subscribed I hoped to find lots of interesting things out about not just my ancestors, but to connect with other persons interested in the same thing I was--Family History.
      I've really been disappointed.
      90% of what I've read has either been trash, unsubscribe, or otherwise unrelated to the sites purpose--the genealogy of Jackson County, AL.
      Our list mgr. has been ill, so things haven't been working really well lately. But hey, we're still here! Let's get back on track and get some good discussions going here!

      I'm interested in the STORY, STORIE, STOREY family of Jackson/Marshall County. My main objective is to trace my maternal great grandfather Enoch Story (1845-1908). Enoch's first wife was Sarah Veach and they married in Jackson Co in the 1870's. I have not been able to trace Sarah before her wedding. A family story says she was related to the Davis family of Davistown. One of Sarah and Enoch's daughters (Mary Lou) married a Jim Davis.
      I'm working on tracing Enoch's brother Robert M., and their sisters. I am beginning to believe the Storie's of DeKalb Co. may be Robert's descendants. Any of this ring a bell for someone?
      Cindy

    • Bill Bullard
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 20, 2003
        Cindy,

        Hang around for a while, I have learned a great deal about Jackson County
        through this website even though I have learned little about my ancestors. I
        think left the area too early (late 1800s).

        The best English teacher I have had was Thomas P. Storey in the 1950's in
        Vidor, Texas.

        Bill
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 20, 2003
          Osiyo Cindy,
          Nice to meet you.
          Hang in here with us and learn, This is the best genealogy web site I know of
          for Jackson County Alabama. You must remember we all get sick and have
          problems. Mr. Matthews is so knowledgeable about the area it would be a shame for
          you to miss out on all his knowledge. Also we have some other people on line who
          are just great friends so just hang in here with us ok.
          Also it's summer and many are on vacation.
          I have a family I am researching in Jackson County Bellefonte area back in
          1870. Brick Wall for me. Do you have ancestry.com?
          Pat Mills

          In a message dated 6/20/03 9:00:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          imreader@... writes:

          > Subj:[jacksongenealogy] Let's talk genealogy!
          > Date:6/20/03 9:00:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time
          > From:<A HREF="mailto:imreader@...">imreader@...</A>
          > To:<A HREF="mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com">jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com</A>
          > Sent from the Internet
          >

          > When I subscribed I hoped to find lots of interesting things out about not
          > just my ancestors, but to connect with other persons interested in the same
          > thing I was--Family History.
          > I've really been disappointed.
          > 90% of what I've read has either been trash, unsubscribe, or otherwise
          > unrelated to the sites purpose--the genealogy of Jackson County, AL.
          > Our list mgr. has been ill, so things haven't been working really well
          > lately. But hey, we're still here! Let's get back on track and get some good
          > discussions going here!
          >
          > I'm interested in the STORY, STORIE, STOREY family of Jackson/Marshall
          > County. My main objective is to trace my maternal great grandfather Enoch Story
          > (1845-1908). Enoch's first wife was Sarah Veach and they married in Jackson
          > Co in the 1870's. I have not been able to trace Sarah before her wedding. A
          > family story says she was related to the Davis family of Davistown. One of
          > Sarah and Enoch's daughters (Mary Lou) married a Jim Davis.
          > I'm working on tracing Enoch's brother Robert M., and their sisters. I am
          > beginning to believe the Storie's of DeKalb Co. may be Robert's descendants.
          > Any of this ring a bell for someone?
          > Cindy

          In God's Service
          ah-nee-jah-lah-gee Guh-geh-yoo
          Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee
          Patricia Mills
          <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

          Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
          Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
          Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky

          My Brick Wall: Joseph P. Rodgers 1846, who were his parents and where did he
          come from? His Wife: Emily Elizabeth Smith/Rodgers/Lemons 1843, who were her
          parents she lived with her grandparents George and Mary Ann Smith.

        • nblanset@tcac.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 20, 2003
            Hello List:

            I am searching for information about Blancett and a place called " Peters Pond " The place supposedly was a body of good water and a Baptist church in Jackson County.

            Norman Blansett
            Pocahontas, Ar.
          • SHEILA MCCLOUD

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 21, 2003
                Marriages
                Enoch Story m. Sarah Veach 22 Mar 1870 Jackson Co. AL
                Enoch Story m. Elizabeth Ann Raynes 24 May 1885 Jackson Co.
                Elizabeth Story m. Albert Doss 03 May 1860 Jackson Co.
                J. W. Storie m. Susan Jane Lacey 03 May 1883 Dekalb Co.
                Sarah E. Story m. Newton A. Bradford Mar 1884 Jackson Co.

                1850 Census Marshal Co. AL Dist. 41 Oleander Beat
                Levina Story age 29 or 39 Female b. AL
                Martha P. age 10 Female b. AL
                Robert M. age 08 Male
                Elizabeth E. age 07 Female
                Harriet C. age 06 Female
                Hugh Absolem Enoch age 05 Male
                Sarah Cynthia Mary Carelene(?) age 01 Female

                1860 Census Jackson Co. AL Div 1 Coffeetown
                Melviney Story age 50 b. Unknown
                Martha age 24 b. AL
                Enoch age 14 b. AL
                James age 06 b. AL
                Sarah age 02 b. AL
                Living in Household of Thomas and Martha J. Logan Farmer
                Melvin Story age 18 Laborer

                1860 Census Marshall Co. AL Hilliam Store
                Living in Household of Benjamin and Nancy Ann Beadle
                Harriet Story age 16 Female Domestic

                1870 Census Jackson Co. William Store Coffeetown
                Malinda Story age 56 Keeping House b. AL
                Martha 28 age 28 At Home
                Harriett age 25 At Home
                Enoch age 23 Farm Laborer
                Sarah age 22
                James age 13 Farm Laborer
                Sarah age 10
                Martha J. age 08
                John E. age 02

                1870 Census Dekalb Co. Fort Payne
                R. M. Story age 26 Male On Farm
                J. Susan age 28 Female

                1880 Census Beat 12 Jackson Co.
                Enoch Story age 33 Without Employment b. AL father b. Al. mother b. AL
                Sarah Wife age 35 b. AL father b. AL mother b. unknown
                Mary Dau age 08
                James W. Son age 07
                Elizabeth Dau age 04

                1880 Census Township 7 DeKalb Co.
                Melvin Story age 38 Farmer b. AL father b. GA mother b. Al
                Sooson age 48 Keeping House b. AL father b. SC mother b.TN
                Melvin son age 11 b. AL
                Willis Baxter Fatheri in law age 74 Notary Public b. TN NC NC
                Sarah Mother in law age 78 b. SC

                1880 Census Town Ship 4 Jackson Co.
                Martha Story age 35 Keeping House AL father b. TN mother b. TN
                John age 12 Laborer b. AL father b. TN mother b. TN

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 21, 2003
                  Civil War Records
                  Enoch Story Company K 18th AL Infantry PVT Confed.
                  Enoch Story Company E 55th AL Volunteers PVT Confed.
                  Probably one of these is your Enoch he would have been 20 by the end of the war. There is another Enoch Story age 38 indexed in Marshall Co. 1860 Census.

                  AL Land Records (Homestead Act)
                  Enoch Story 160.25 acres 06 Jun 1891 Jackson Co. AL
                  If this is your Enoch Story then he did not serve in the Civil War, if you served against the Union you could not claim Homestead Lands.

                  Robert M. Story 160 acres 02 Feb 1884 DeKalb Co. AL.
                  There are no records of Robert having served.

                  On the 1870 Census Malvina is Indexed as Malinda but clearly this is the same family. It does't look like Malinda to me difficult to read.

                  Clay Gullatt, Mount Airy, NC

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 30, 2003
                    Could it be Peters Cove you are looking for? If so Peters Cove Cemetery is Northeast of Woodville on Hwy 30.

                  • nblanset@tcac.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
                      I don't know. Family legend referes to it as "Peters Pond"

                      Norman Blansett

                      > From: clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...>
                      > Date: 2003/06/30 Mon PM 09:59:04 CDT
                      > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Let's talk genealogy! Peters Pond
                      >
                      > Could it be Peters Cove you are looking for? If so Peters Cove Cemetery is Northeast of Woodville on Hwy 30.
                      >
                      > Clay

                    • Ann Chambless
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
                        Peters Pond was in the Wannville community which is east of U.S. Highway
                        72 and west of the Tennessee River. In locating Wannville area on
                        contemporary map, one should look about 2 miles southeast of Stevenson
                        and about 13 miles north of the eastern limits of Scottsboro. I have
                        been told by older (now deceased) genealogy friends that Peters Pond
                        was named for Peter Blansett and there was a Baptist Church in the area
                        also called Peters Pond Church many, many years ago.
                        Ann B. Chambless
                        abc123@...
                      • nblanset@tcac.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 2, 2003
                          Hello Ann:

                          Thats the one.

                          Thank you very much.

                          Norman Blansett

                        • nblansett@cox.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 29, 2006
                            Hello List:

                            I have seen a document entitled " Peters Pond Alliance "

                            Church was Located in Jackson County in the 1800's.

                            I would like to know where a membership list could be found.

                            Norman Blansett
                          • kathy edwards
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 29, 2006
                              I would like to know more about the Peters Pond Alliance also.
                              What it was, church, lodge, etc.

                              I do have an old Minutes Book.
                              It is not in very good shape.
                              On one page dated Aug. 18, 1888 and with title "Officers and Members of
                              Peters Pond Alliance", No 532 are the following names.

                              G. L. Shrader President
                              C. H. Holder Vice
                              J. T. Helms Sec.
                              G. W. Shrader Treasure
                              E. J. Holder Door Keeper
                              D. C. Miller Ast.
                              Z. Helms Lecture
                              J. P. Ledbetter Ast.
                              M. or W. L Bryant Cha0plain?
                              W. M. Bishop Sergent at Arms
                              P. M. Ledbetter
                              James Owens
                              Charles Gist
                              D. C. Hays
                              Wash Bass
                              John Hays
                              J. W. Holder
                              Arminda Shrader
                              Emma Miller
                              Lizzie Miller
                              Ara Grider
                              John H. Holloway
                              James Stuart
                              Sarah C. Brazleton
                              Wesley York
                              John Beem

                              >From: <nblansett@...>
                              >To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Peters Pond
                              >Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:19:35 -0500
                              >
                              >Hello List:
                              >
                              >I have seen a document entitled " Peters Pond Alliance "
                              >
                              >Church was Located in Jackson County in the 1800's.
                              >
                              >I would like to know where a membership list could be found.
                              >
                              >Norman Blansett

                            • Ann B. Chambless
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 29, 2006
                                Based on my limited knowledge from a few old newspaper announcements for
                                Farmers Alliances organized throughout the county, I feel your Peters Pond
                                Alliance record book is for a Farmers Alliance which was organized in the
                                Wannville area. The names you cited from your old minutes book all lived in
                                the general area of Wannville by the 1880s.
                                I know that Peters Pond was in the present-day area of Wannville. Family
                                tradition from the Blansett family states that Peters Pond was named for old
                                Peter Blansett who settled in the Wannville area byu 1819. Peter Blansett
                                signed the March 1819 memorial whereby early settlers/squatters petitioned
                                the U.S. Government in an effort to avoid being removed from Cherokee land
                                in what became Jackson County on December 14, 1819.
                                Jerda Holder Stevens of Huntsville, AL, is presently writing a memoir-type
                                history of the Wannville community where she was raised.
                                Ann B. Chambless
                              • kathy edwards
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 30, 2006
                                  This is very interesting. I think my sister-in-law knows a lot about
                                  Wannville but not so far back.
                                  Her mother would have been able to tell you a lot but she passed away a
                                  while ago.
                                  I'll bet Janet, my sister-in-law would be interested in getting a copy of
                                  this book.
                                  Also, I think I have a copy of an 1834 deed with some Blancett's on it, I
                                  think Peter maybe.
                                  Also something in the old Shrader trunk was the Peter's Pond Stamp. It was
                                  black metal with gold writing and would stamp Peter's Pond on paper about
                                  the size of a quarter to half dollar.
                                  I thought the Alliance was either a section of Woodsmen of the World or
                                  something besides a church but didn't know. They had a speaker, took up
                                  dues, etc. Nothing exciting.

                                  >From: "Ann B. Chambless" <rabc123@...>
                                  >To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                                  >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Peters Pond
                                  >Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:47:03 -0600
                                  >
                                  >Based on my limited knowledge from a few old newspaper announcements for
                                  >Farmers Alliances organized throughout the county, I feel your Peters Pond
                                  >Alliance record book is for a Farmers Alliance which was organized in the
                                  >Wannville area. The names you cited from your old minutes book all lived
                                  >in
                                  >the general area of Wannville by the 1880s.
                                  >I know that Peters Pond was in the present-day area of Wannville. Family
                                  >tradition from the Blansett family states that Peters Pond was named for
                                  >old
                                  >Peter Blansett who settled in the Wannville area byu 1819. Peter Blansett
                                  >signed the March 1819 memorial whereby early settlers/squatters petitioned
                                  >the U.S. Government in an effort to avoid being removed from Cherokee land
                                  >in what became Jackson County on December 14, 1819.
                                  >Jerda Holder Stevens of Huntsville, AL, is presently writing a memoir-type
                                  >history of the Wannville community where she was raised.
                                  >Ann B. Chambless

                                • kathy edwards
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 30, 2006
                                    I have a coppier/scanner, but it would be easier to copy it and send it to
                                    you than it would to scan each page.