1870 Bellefonte

  • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
      Question:
      Back in 1870 my family member Joseph P. Rodgers put on his census report that
      he was from Ireland yet I have never been able to locate this information of
      this name in Ireland or a boat to the USA from Ireland.
      My cousin can hook him up in the civil war. he was born in 1846 served in the
      war and dies in Bellefonte Al. was a stone cutter.
      If he was from Ireland wouldn't Scottsboro have some info. on this man?

      In God's Service
      ah-nee-jah-lah-gee Guh-geh-yoo
      Goo-hoo-sdee Juhn-dee
      Patricia Mills
      <A HREF="cherokeeindain@...">cherokeeindian77@...</A>

      Researching: Rodgers, Tyner, Sevier, Smith, Short, Lemons, Edge, Price,
      Burgess, Morrow, Mahan
      Location: Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, N.C., S.C., Kentucky

    • herbert gullatt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
        How sure are you of his age? There is a Joseph Rodgers age 08 arrived Philadelphia, PA 29 Sep 1849 from Londonderry IRE on the ship Vermont. That's 5 years off from the 1870 census. I've seen some that were as much as 10 years off.

        Clay Gullatt

      • cherokeeindian77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
          The 1870 census and the wife's widow pension is all I have to go on about
          this man's age. Where did you find the info? Just a question due to me not being
          able to find the name from the books at the DAR, and Library of Congress. What
          is the resource?
          Was he with a family? According to history he was with a brother? Now this is
          by word, no proof.
          Would love to know what you have on this matter you do have my interest up.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            It's on the Irish to America Index 1846-1886. Other Rodgers on board the Vermont are: James age 37 Occupation Farmer, John age 30 Occupation Farmer, Mrs.????? Rodgers age 35, Alexander, Infant. Susan age 06, Margaret age 09, Mary age 10, Eliza age 11, Thomas age 12.
            Londonderry is in Northern Ireland and they very well could be Scots-Irish.

            Clay Gullatt

          • RAYMOND SHIRLEY SR.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
              Check the naturalization records. They should either be in Montgomery, AL
              or National Archives.