virus

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2003
      hi everyone..I'm letting you know that someone sent me a virus it was called a worn src and it came in the form of a screensaver when the mail was opened...thank god I have norton and I'm sure it didn't get to any of you..it was one of those email worms..but this is just a caution letter...so your aware..if it did go threw...don't open anything in the form of a screensaver from me inless i tell ya it's the one i sent...thanks...and sorry about all this...Denise

      Mail is scanned by Norton antivirus no worrys here

    • Joy Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2004
        I received this message from someone who had sent me an email. She advised me to inform everyone on my email list that they could have this virus. I did find it on my computer. Follow the simple directions below and you can delete it. It has NOT caused me any problems, but it's good to get rid of it anyway. JOY

        >I've just been informed that a virus has been passed to me and is
        >automatically passed through e- mail address books. Since you are listed
        >in my address book, you will probably find it on your computer, the virus is
        >called jdbe.exe and is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti virus
        >systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is
        >
        >automatically sent by "messenger to all entries in your address book even if
        >you have not sent e-mail to your contacts .
        >
        >These instructions were sent to me - I followed them, found the
        >virus, and deleted it from my computer. PLEASE DO THIS ASAP
        >1 Go to start, then click your find or search option
        >2 In the folder option, type the name " jdbgm
        >3 Be sure to search your C drive and all the other drives you have
        >4 Click find now
        >5 The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe.
        > DO NOT OPEN
        >6 Select the file -highlight the file -without opening
        >7 Delete the file
        >
        >If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in your address
        >book, so that they may eradicate the virus
        >
        >To do this :
        >1 open a new e-mail message
        >2 Click on the address book icon
        >3 Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
        >4 Copy and pass its message to email
        >
        >Sorry about this. I had no idea, until I was informed today.

      • Joy Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 15, 2004
          Thanks to everyone for the warning - I'm allowed one "stupid" a year and this was mine.
          Joy this is a hoax and not a real virus if you get rid of the teddy bear
          your computer is going to crash...please don't deleate that file...no matter
          what it says...I know I did it a yr ago and lost all my genealogy stuff..
          Denise

          I received this message from someone who had sent me an email. She advised
          me to inform everyone on my email list that they could have this virus. I
          did find it on my computer. Follow the simple directions below and you can
          delete it. It has NOT caused me any problems, but it's good to get rid of it
          anyway. JOY

          >I've just been informed that a virus has been passed to me and is
          >automatically passed through e- mail address books. Since you are listed
          >in my address book, you will probably find it on your computer, the virus
          is
          >called jdbe.exe and is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti virus
          >systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It
          is

          >automatically sent by "messenger to all entries in your address book even
          if
          >you have not sent e-mail to your contacts .
          >
          >These instructions were sent to me - I followed them, found the
          >virus, and deleted it from my computer. PLEASE DO THIS ASAP
          >1 Go to start, then click your find or search option
          >2 In the folder option, type the name " jdbgm
          >3 Be sure to search your C drive and all the other drives you have
          >4 Click find now
          >5 The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe.
          > DO NOT OPEN
          >6 Select the file -highlight the file -without opening
          >7 Delete the file
          >
          >If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in your address
          >book, so that they may eradicate the virus
          >
          >To do this :
          >1 open a new e-mail message
          >2 Click on the address book icon
          >3 Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
          >4 Copy and pass its message to email
          >
          >Sorry about this. I had no idea, until I was informed today.

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM

        • Mark Klan
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 7, 2004
            According to Symantec Antivirus Center, this is a hoax and nothing to worry
            about. The file jdbe.exe is a debugger file for the Windows version of the
            Java language. Don't delete it. See:
            http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoa
            x.html

            If the address above "wraps" in your email, you may have to copy/paste it
            in pieces into your web browser. Or go to http://www.symantec.com/search/
            and type jdbgmgr.exe into the search box. The first search result
            discusses the hoax.

            Mark
            P.S. If you can find the file, so can Norton AV and the other antivirus
            programs.

            Joy Smith wrote:
            > I received this message from someone who had sent me an email. She advised
            > me to inform everyone on my email list that they could have this virus. I
            > did find it on my computer. Follow the simple directions below and you can
            > delete it. It has NOT caused me any problems, but it's good to get rid of it
            > anyway. JOY > >I've just been informed that a virus has been passed to me
            > and is >automatically passed through e- mail address books. Since you are
            > listed >in my address book, you will probably find it on your computer, the
            > virus is >called jdbe.exe and is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti virus
            > >systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It
            > is > >automatically sent by "messenger to all entries in your address book
            > even if >you have not sent e-mail to your contacts . > >These instructions
            > were sent to me - I followed them, found the >virus, and deleted it from my
            > computer. PLEASE DO THIS ASAP >1 Go to start, then click your find or search
            > option >2 In the folder option, type the name " jdbgm >3 Be sure to search
            > your C drive and all the other drives you have >4 Click find now >5 The
            > virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe. > DO NOT OPEN >6
            > Select the file -highlight the file -without opening >7 Delete the file >
            > >If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in your address
            > >book, so that they may eradicate the virus > >To do this : >1 open a new
            > e-mail message >2 Click on the address book icon >3 Highlight every name and
            > add to "BCC" >4 Copy and pass its message to email > >Sorry about this. I
            > had no idea, until I was informed today.

            > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Buy
            > Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer
            > at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US & Canada.
            > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM

          • Robert West
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2004
              This is a Hoax. Do Nothing!

              Bob West

              I received this message from someone who had sent me an email. She advised
              me to inform everyone on my email list that they could have this virus. I
              did find it on my computer. Follow the simple directions below and you can
              delete it. It has NOT caused me any problems, but it's good to get rid of it
              anyway. JOY

              >I've just been informed that a virus has been passed to me and is
              >automatically passed through e- mail address books. Since you are listed
              >in my address book, you will probably find it on your computer, the virus
              is
              >called jdbe.exe and is not detected by Norton or McAfee anti virus
              >systems. The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It
              is

              >automatically sent by "messenger to all entries in your address book even
              if
              >you have not sent e-mail to your contacts .
              >
              >These instructions were sent to me - I followed them, found the
              >virus, and deleted it from my computer. PLEASE DO THIS ASAP
              >1 Go to start, then click your find or search option
              >2 In the folder option, type the name " jdbgm
              >3 Be sure to search your C drive and all the other drives you have
              >4 Click find now
              >5 The virus has a teddy bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe.
              > DO NOT OPEN
              >6 Select the file -highlight the file -without opening
              >7 Delete the file
              >
              >If you find the virus, you must contact all the people in your address
              >book, so that they may eradicate the virus
              >
              >To do this :
              >1 open a new e-mail message
              >2 Click on the address book icon
              >3 Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
              >4 Copy and pass its message to email
              >
              >Sorry about this. I had no idea, until I was informed today.

            • Virginia Mylius
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2004
                Here is the best expert advise I can get of messages such as this.

                "This is a hoax, not a virus. jdbgmgr.exe is a Java Debug Manager
                program used by the Microsoft Java runtime engine, although nobody but
                a Java Programmer is going to need it (so if you do delete it, don't
                worry... unless you're a Java Programmer).

                In the future, when an e-mail comes in saying to delete a file don't
                do it. Luckily this time it wasn't a major file. But they have been
                known to tell you to delete a major file to the operating system, and
                that would be a bad thing. Most anti-virus companies keep their
                detection abilities in step with new viruses. So when a new one comes
                out, it'll only be a few days before they figure out how to counter
                it. Your virus protection should be good since it updates itself when
                it needs to."

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 8, 2004
                    Don't sweat it -- you were just trying to be helpful. There are worse
                    problems :-)

                    Mark

                  • Golden Moments
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2004
                      I realize the concern of all regarding a possible virus, however, I
                      understood that this website was just for discussing jacksongenealogy. I
                      don't mind myself, however, I have been the victim of breaking the "law."
                      I remember a valentine message that went out in February. Where is the
                      monitor now?

                      Laura Golden
                      > Don't sweat it -- you were just trying to be helpful. There are worse
                      > problems :-)
                      >
                      > Mark
                      >
                      > Joy Smith wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thanks to everyone for the warning - I'm allowed one "stupid" a year and
                      > > this was mine.

                      Service.

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Golden Moments
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 9, 2004
                        I apologize if I have stirred, the intention was not that. I was just
                        reinterating what has been done previously regarding discussing anything
                        unrelated to jacksongenealogy.

                        If you're new to this site, you might not understand.

                        Laura Golden
                        I only desire to stir the spirit.
                        > I realize the concern of all regarding a possible virus, however, I
                        > understood that this website was just for discussing jacksongenealogy. I
                        > don't mind myself, however, I have been the victim of breaking the "law."
                        > I remember a valentine message that went out in February. Where is the
                        > monitor now?
                        >
                        > Laura Golden

                      • Bill Bullard
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 9, 2004
                          Stir, stir, stir.

                          > Don't sweat it -- you were just trying to be helpful. There are worse
                          > problems :-)
                          >
                          > Mark
                          >
                          > Joy Smith wrote:
                          >
                          > > Thanks to everyone for the warning - I'm allowed one "stupid" a year and
                          > > this was mine.

                          Service.

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          ---
                          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                          ---
                        • joy0420@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 9, 2004
                            What is a genealogy site, but for family. And who yaps more than family? It was an honest mistake, a heart felt apology, end of story. Let's move on, shall we.

                            > From: "Bill Bullard" <bjbullard@...>
                            > Date: 2004/03/09 Tue PM 07:21:22 GMT
                            > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] virus

                          • David Goins
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 15, 2004
                              got a email from group it said thank you only, i opened it and was a virus but norton stopped it. was in bulk mail. scan email from jacksongenealogy thanks david

                              Do you Yahoo!?

                            • prm@hiwaay.net
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 15, 2004
                                Please don't everyone get scared or excited.

                                Your Jackson county genealogy email cannot contain attachments. Viruses are
                                normally in email attachments. You cannot receive an attachment with a Jackson
                                genelogy email.

                                Also virus messages many times contain a "from" address that is not where the
                                email came from, that is part of the virus originators tactics. The message did
                                not come from our group even though the "from" address said it did.

                                This is why I ask that no virus warnings be sent via the list. They serve no
                                useful purpose and they get many people upset. Send such messages directly to
                                other members if you like but not to the whole group through the list. Answer
                                to such post are also not needed on the list. If you wish to reply, reply
                                directly to the sender.

                                Thanks

                                Richard, your group moderator