Re: [jacksongenealogy] John and Nancy Prince Family

  • marywinn
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
      I have this Elisha Prince married to Elizabeth Anderson (the line I am
      searching). I did not have parents or anything else for him. Can you give
      me your sources for John and Nancy?

      Thanks
      Mary Winn Anderson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
        Dear Mary,

        See the book "Heritage of Jackson Co. Al, 1819". John and Nancy's son, Mark, is my husband's 3rd great grandfather. Elisha Prince is Mark Prince's brother. We found the gravemarker for Elisha Prince on Nancy
        Prince's land that was granted to her in 1830. Also, on the same property there is a log house that we think
        belonged to Nancy. The land is now owned by Eddie Prince, relative of Jesse Tansy Numon Prince. Don' t
        know what relation they are to John and Nancy Prince, but all settled close to one another.
        Hope this helps a little. If you will go to the library at Scottsboro, AL and check on a book "Heritage of
        Jackson County Alabama, 1819" you will find that one of the first settlers in the Paint Rock Valley was John
        and Nancy Prince. It also list their children, Elisha and Mark are shown, along with all the rest of the
        children.
        If you want to see the grave marker of Elisha Prince, come to the Prince Reunion at Estillfork, AL. Easter
        weekend, on Saturday, 2004, at Eddie Prince's Lodge and Retreat. Let me know your home address where
        and invitation can be sent. The Lodge is owned by Eddie Prince he is a relative of Jesse Tansy Numon Prince.
        The relationship between John Prince and Jesse T. Numon Prince is not known, but they settled close to one
        another in the Paint Rock Valley area.
        Talk to you later,
        Mary Bogard Prince

        > I am looking for my husband's 4th great grandfather & grandmother,
        > John and Nancy Prince(I do not have a maiden name for her). John was
        > born abt. 1780, Alexandria, Va.(I think), Nancy was born 1789, in
        > South Carolina. John came to Jackson County, Paint Rock Valley, AL,
        > in 1820, via North Carolina and Franklin Co. TN. They were the first
        > settlers to the Paint Rock Valley, AL area. John Prince was a deacon
        > of
        > the Larkin Fork Baptish and Mud Creek Baptist Churches. He died
        > 1828/29 in Paint Rock Valley, Jackson Co. AL. I think Nancy died in
        > 1863 in Swaim,AL. Their children's names: Mark Prince, born 1817
        > (this is my husband's 3rd. great grandfather) who migrated to Pope
        > Co.,Arkansas. Martin H. Prince, born 1818 - Mary Prince, born 1820
        > Peter Prince, born 1823 - Elisha Prince, born Oct. 27, 1826 and
        > Thomas Prince, born 1827. If there are any persons related to any of
        > the above please contact me if you have any information. There is a
        > Prince Reunion being held in 2004 at the Eddie Prince Lodge in
        > Estillfork, AL, and I would like to be able to find a grave marker
        > for John and Nancy Prince. And be able to get more information on
        > this family. There is a relationship between the
        > Jessie Tansy Numon Prince, Zacharia Prince and John Prince, as they
        > all settled close to one another. Eddie Prince that owns the
        > Lodge and Retreat in Estillfork is a relative of Jesse Tansy Numon
        > Prince, but he does not know about the John Prince side of the
        > family. My husband and I have been to the Paint Rock Valley area 2
        > years in a row, and finally found the land that was granted to Nancy
        > Prince in 1830, which is owned by Eddie Prince. We have not been
        > able to find the graves of John or Nancy Prince. We did find the
        > grave of Elisha Prince on the property that was owned by Nancy
        > Prince.
        > Thank you for any help.
        > Mary Bogard Prince
        > E-mail: bogieprince2@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Shelley Woodall
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
          Regarding the reunion - my husband and I have never
          gone. I believe his grandmother and some other family
          members have gone to some reunion on the mountain. It
          seems like it might have been a Prince/Woodall reunion
          or even a Prince/Sisk reunion. I think I may even
          have a copy of a picture from it somewhere. (Problem
          is we are supposed to be moving and all my files are
          in storage.) Next time I talk to family down there
          I'll have to ask what reunion they go to.

          Regarding the line my husband is from...this is
          confusing. Up until recently, the only info I had was
          that his 3rd great grandfather was James Marion
          Prince. James was the son of Owen Prince born about
          1832 according to census data. I got this from a
          researcher named Grant Freeman who was related to the

          Prince family also. He had brought my husband's
          grandmother a book he was working on and wanted her to
          get her children's info to him. Anyway, back to Owen.
          Grant said that Owen was the son of a Nancy Prince
          from South Carolina that was one of the first settlers
          in Jackson County, Alabama. He did not have a
          husband's name. He also said that Owen had brothers
          Thomas and Elisha Prince. Elisha married Mary Hall
          and someone named Elizabeth according to him. He gave
          me descendants as well. Thomas married someone named
          Mary and had 2 sons that he gave me. I searched to
          find the name of Nancy's husband, but could not find
          it for a long time.

          Then, recently, I had an opportunity to have a trial
          offer to the Family Tree Maker site. I ran the info
          through their WFT CDs and a hit came back. WFT CD #15
          Tree #2646 gave the the parents of Owen, Elisha and
          Thomas as Nancy Shelby (b 1789 SC) and Nicholas Prince
          (b 1758). According to this CD, Nicholas' father
          was Nicholas Prince (b abt 1738) and mother had last
          name Lewis. Siblings were listed as well.

          So...as you can see this is confused now. You don't
          list Owen as a child of Nancy and John. I have no
          idea where Mr. Freeman came up with his information.
          I do have a copy of a letter sent by Walie Benton
          Prince to his daughter stating that Owen and his
          brothers went to Arkansas possibly to avoid the Civil
          War. Owen supposedly married an Indian woman named
          Ellender and then returned to Jackson County. They are
          found living near to Elisha in the 1866 Special
          Census. Owen served as a Private in the War, so I
          don't see how he was escaping it.

          I wish I could get at my files so I could see some of
          the copies of the documents Grant gave me. Right now
          all I have is my Familt Tree Maker file that has some
          notes in it. I didn't put everything in the computer
          - guess I should have!

          Can you make any sense out of this? Let me know what
          you think.

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com
        • Mary Bogard Prince
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
            Shelley, I did not list Owen as John Prince's child, because the information I have is that John Prince died
            1828/29, and Owen was not born until 1832/34. I may be all wrong since you have Nancy's husband's
            name as Nicholas, but the book "Heritage of Jackson County, AL." States that his name was John Prince, and
            Nancy was the wife and first settlers in Jackson County, AL. Elisha , Thomas, Martin, Peter, Mary and Mark
            Prince were the children. Maybe his name was John Nicholas or Nicholas John. Mark Prince, who migrated
            to Arkansas, is my husband's 3rd. great grandfather, who also fought in the civil war, both for the South and
            then switched to fight for the North. Owen also went to Arkansas. He married his cousin Ellender, who was
            the daughter of Mark Prince. It has been stated that Nancy Prince was a Cherokee Indian, but I have not
            evidence to this effect. Grant Freeman was a relative to the Princes. In my research, I found that Elizabeth
            Freeman might have been the mother of Jesse Tansy Numon Prince, that settled next to the widow, Nancy
            Prince. There is a relationship between John Prince and Jesse Prince, but no one know how. Some say that
            John Prince was Jesse's father, and some say that John was Jesse's older brother. I had a birth date for
            John Prince as being 1780, and you have Nicholas Prince's birth date as 1758. Guess I will have more
            research to do. Seems like this will never end.
            Talk to you later.
            Mary Bogard Prince

          • FamResearcher@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
              Mary - Do you know much about the Freeman family connected to your Prince
              family? I have a brick wall in my husbands Freeman family and at this point
              am interested in any Freemans. I have Eli Freeman born March 1854 in
              Alabama. He died 1910 in Texas. His parents were supposedly born in South
              Carolina. In 1900 they were in Franklin Co., AL. In 1890, they were in
              Etowah Co. AL. He married in 1887 in Etowah Co. AL Izzy Dora West. In 1880,
              Izzy Dora West was in Jackson Co AL but I have not been able to find Eli
              Freeman. There are other family story tidbits but nothing I have been able
              to verify. At this point I am collecting Freeman information so I recognize
              the different lines in northeastern Alabama. Any help on your Freemans would
              be appreciated. Thanks, Phyllis

            • marywinn
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
                Mary,
                Thank you for the information; hope to get to library at Scottsboro this
                summer. We live in Florida but visit relatives in Huntland, Tn.

                Elisha Prince was on my father-in-law's side of the family; Jesse Prince is
                my mother inlaw's third ggf. Thus my husband has Princes son both sides of
                his family.

                Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend the reunion this year but would
                appreciate being put on the mailing list. Mailing address is:

                Jim Anderson
                2083 Starboard dr
                Geneva, FL 32732

                Thanks again for your help.
                Mary Winn Anderson

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • marywinn
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
                  Mary, I just got out my copy of "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers". It says that
                  Elisha Prince was Nancy's son. (I must have missed that before). Also says
                  Owen Prince was Elisha's brother. According to this book this is known as
                  the "Sam Hinshaw" Cemetery, located on property patented by Nancy Prince 16
                  Sept 1830.

                  Wish we could establish that Owen is Elisha's brother. The book says that
                  Owen is buried in Sanders Cem at Mill Creek. (Just checked the book--there
                  is an Owen buried there, but is too young to have been a brother to Elisha)

                  Regards,
                  Mary Winn Anderson