Re: [jacksongenealogy] John and Nancy Prince Family

  • Vicki L. Hill
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
      >Their children's names: Mark Prince, born 1817
      >(this is my husband's 3rd. great grandfather) who migrated to Pope
      >Co.,Arkansas. Martin H. Prince, born 1818 - Mary Prince, born 1820
      >Peter Prince, born 1823 - Elisha Prince, born Oct. 27, 1826 and
      >Thomas Prince, born 1827.

      I have two Elisha Prince's in my database...could be the same one if this
      Elisha Prince was married twice.

      I have Elisha Prince b. 10/27/1826 married Mary P. Hall b. 1831 on Nov. 1,
      1853, Jackson Co., AL. Mary was the sister of my ancestor, Permelia Hall
      (children of James Hall and Mary Ann Williams)

      Then I have an Elisha Prince b. 1827 married Elizabeth J. Anderson in 1855.
      Children John T. Prince b. 1862, Simeon E. Prince b. 1864, and Martha E.
      Prince b. 1868.

      To further complicate it, this Elizabeth Anderson's sister, Mary Ann
      Anderson, married Thomas R. Prince b. 1825. Now, is this Thomas the same
      Thomas you list above...or does this one belong to one of the other
      Prince's in that area?

      (I'm still trying to figure out how I connect to the Andersons. My
      g-grandfather's name was John Anderson Hill. He married Rebecca Jane
      Vandiver, daughter of the Permelia Hall listed above.) All of these people
      were in Paint Rock Valley in the early to mid 1800's.

      Vicki Hill
    • marywinn
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
        I have this Elisha Prince married to Elizabeth Anderson (the line I am
        searching). I did not have parents or anything else for him. Can you give
        me your sources for John and Nancy?

        Thanks
        Mary Winn Anderson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
          Dear Mary,

          See the book "Heritage of Jackson Co. Al, 1819". John and Nancy's son, Mark, is my husband's 3rd great grandfather. Elisha Prince is Mark Prince's brother. We found the gravemarker for Elisha Prince on Nancy
          Prince's land that was granted to her in 1830. Also, on the same property there is a log house that we think
          belonged to Nancy. The land is now owned by Eddie Prince, relative of Jesse Tansy Numon Prince. Don' t
          know what relation they are to John and Nancy Prince, but all settled close to one another.
          Hope this helps a little. If you will go to the library at Scottsboro, AL and check on a book "Heritage of
          Jackson County Alabama, 1819" you will find that one of the first settlers in the Paint Rock Valley was John
          and Nancy Prince. It also list their children, Elisha and Mark are shown, along with all the rest of the
          children.
          If you want to see the grave marker of Elisha Prince, come to the Prince Reunion at Estillfork, AL. Easter
          weekend, on Saturday, 2004, at Eddie Prince's Lodge and Retreat. Let me know your home address where
          and invitation can be sent. The Lodge is owned by Eddie Prince he is a relative of Jesse Tansy Numon Prince.
          The relationship between John Prince and Jesse T. Numon Prince is not known, but they settled close to one
          another in the Paint Rock Valley area.
          Talk to you later,
          Mary Bogard Prince

          > I am looking for my husband's 4th great grandfather & grandmother,
          > John and Nancy Prince(I do not have a maiden name for her). John was
          > born abt. 1780, Alexandria, Va.(I think), Nancy was born 1789, in
          > South Carolina. John came to Jackson County, Paint Rock Valley, AL,
          > in 1820, via North Carolina and Franklin Co. TN. They were the first
          > settlers to the Paint Rock Valley, AL area. John Prince was a deacon
          > of
          > the Larkin Fork Baptish and Mud Creek Baptist Churches. He died
          > 1828/29 in Paint Rock Valley, Jackson Co. AL. I think Nancy died in
          > 1863 in Swaim,AL. Their children's names: Mark Prince, born 1817
          > (this is my husband's 3rd. great grandfather) who migrated to Pope
          > Co.,Arkansas. Martin H. Prince, born 1818 - Mary Prince, born 1820
          > Peter Prince, born 1823 - Elisha Prince, born Oct. 27, 1826 and
          > Thomas Prince, born 1827. If there are any persons related to any of
          > the above please contact me if you have any information. There is a
          > Prince Reunion being held in 2004 at the Eddie Prince Lodge in
          > Estillfork, AL, and I would like to be able to find a grave marker
          > for John and Nancy Prince. And be able to get more information on
          > this family. There is a relationship between the
          > Jessie Tansy Numon Prince, Zacharia Prince and John Prince, as they
          > all settled close to one another. Eddie Prince that owns the
          > Lodge and Retreat in Estillfork is a relative of Jesse Tansy Numon
          > Prince, but he does not know about the John Prince side of the
          > family. My husband and I have been to the Paint Rock Valley area 2
          > years in a row, and finally found the land that was granted to Nancy
          > Prince in 1830, which is owned by Eddie Prince. We have not been
          > able to find the graves of John or Nancy Prince. We did find the
          > grave of Elisha Prince on the property that was owned by Nancy
          > Prince.
          > Thank you for any help.
          > Mary Bogard Prince
          > E-mail: bogieprince2@...

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Shelley Woodall
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
            Regarding the reunion - my husband and I have never
            gone. I believe his grandmother and some other family
            members have gone to some reunion on the mountain. It
            seems like it might have been a Prince/Woodall reunion
            or even a Prince/Sisk reunion. I think I may even
            have a copy of a picture from it somewhere. (Problem
            is we are supposed to be moving and all my files are
            in storage.) Next time I talk to family down there
            I'll have to ask what reunion they go to.

            Regarding the line my husband is from...this is
            confusing. Up until recently, the only info I had was
            that his 3rd great grandfather was James Marion
            Prince. James was the son of Owen Prince born about
            1832 according to census data. I got this from a
            researcher named Grant Freeman who was related to the

            Prince family also. He had brought my husband's
            grandmother a book he was working on and wanted her to
            get her children's info to him. Anyway, back to Owen.
            Grant said that Owen was the son of a Nancy Prince
            from South Carolina that was one of the first settlers
            in Jackson County, Alabama. He did not have a
            husband's name. He also said that Owen had brothers
            Thomas and Elisha Prince. Elisha married Mary Hall
            and someone named Elizabeth according to him. He gave
            me descendants as well. Thomas married someone named
            Mary and had 2 sons that he gave me. I searched to
            find the name of Nancy's husband, but could not find
            it for a long time.

            Then, recently, I had an opportunity to have a trial
            offer to the Family Tree Maker site. I ran the info
            through their WFT CDs and a hit came back. WFT CD #15
            Tree #2646 gave the the parents of Owen, Elisha and
            Thomas as Nancy Shelby (b 1789 SC) and Nicholas Prince
            (b 1758). According to this CD, Nicholas' father
            was Nicholas Prince (b abt 1738) and mother had last
            name Lewis. Siblings were listed as well.

            So...as you can see this is confused now. You don't
            list Owen as a child of Nancy and John. I have no
            idea where Mr. Freeman came up with his information.
            I do have a copy of a letter sent by Walie Benton
            Prince to his daughter stating that Owen and his
            brothers went to Arkansas possibly to avoid the Civil
            War. Owen supposedly married an Indian woman named
            Ellender and then returned to Jackson County. They are
            found living near to Elisha in the 1866 Special
            Census. Owen served as a Private in the War, so I
            don't see how he was escaping it.

            I wish I could get at my files so I could see some of
            the copies of the documents Grant gave me. Right now
            all I have is my Familt Tree Maker file that has some
            notes in it. I didn't put everything in the computer
            - guess I should have!

            Can you make any sense out of this? Let me know what
            you think.

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com
          • Mary Bogard Prince
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
              Shelley, I did not list Owen as John Prince's child, because the information I have is that John Prince died
              1828/29, and Owen was not born until 1832/34. I may be all wrong since you have Nancy's husband's
              name as Nicholas, but the book "Heritage of Jackson County, AL." States that his name was John Prince, and
              Nancy was the wife and first settlers in Jackson County, AL. Elisha , Thomas, Martin, Peter, Mary and Mark
              Prince were the children. Maybe his name was John Nicholas or Nicholas John. Mark Prince, who migrated
              to Arkansas, is my husband's 3rd. great grandfather, who also fought in the civil war, both for the South and
              then switched to fight for the North. Owen also went to Arkansas. He married his cousin Ellender, who was
              the daughter of Mark Prince. It has been stated that Nancy Prince was a Cherokee Indian, but I have not
              evidence to this effect. Grant Freeman was a relative to the Princes. In my research, I found that Elizabeth
              Freeman might have been the mother of Jesse Tansy Numon Prince, that settled next to the widow, Nancy
              Prince. There is a relationship between John Prince and Jesse Prince, but no one know how. Some say that
              John Prince was Jesse's father, and some say that John was Jesse's older brother. I had a birth date for
              John Prince as being 1780, and you have Nicholas Prince's birth date as 1758. Guess I will have more
              research to do. Seems like this will never end.
              Talk to you later.
              Mary Bogard Prince

            • FamResearcher@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
                Mary - Do you know much about the Freeman family connected to your Prince
                family? I have a brick wall in my husbands Freeman family and at this point
                am interested in any Freemans. I have Eli Freeman born March 1854 in
                Alabama. He died 1910 in Texas. His parents were supposedly born in South
                Carolina. In 1900 they were in Franklin Co., AL. In 1890, they were in
                Etowah Co. AL. He married in 1887 in Etowah Co. AL Izzy Dora West. In 1880,
                Izzy Dora West was in Jackson Co AL but I have not been able to find Eli
                Freeman. There are other family story tidbits but nothing I have been able
                to verify. At this point I am collecting Freeman information so I recognize
                the different lines in northeastern Alabama. Any help on your Freemans would
                be appreciated. Thanks, Phyllis

              • marywinn
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
                  Mary,
                  Thank you for the information; hope to get to library at Scottsboro this
                  summer. We live in Florida but visit relatives in Huntland, Tn.

                  Elisha Prince was on my father-in-law's side of the family; Jesse Prince is
                  my mother inlaw's third ggf. Thus my husband has Princes son both sides of
                  his family.

                  Unfortunately, we won't be able to attend the reunion this year but would
                  appreciate being put on the mailing list. Mailing address is:

                  Jim Anderson
                  2083 Starboard dr
                  Geneva, FL 32732

                  Thanks again for your help.
                  Mary Winn Anderson

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • marywinn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16, 2003
                    Mary, I just got out my copy of "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers". It says that
                    Elisha Prince was Nancy's son. (I must have missed that before). Also says
                    Owen Prince was Elisha's brother. According to this book this is known as
                    the "Sam Hinshaw" Cemetery, located on property patented by Nancy Prince 16
                    Sept 1830.

                    Wish we could establish that Owen is Elisha's brother. The book says that
                    Owen is buried in Sanders Cem at Mill Creek. (Just checked the book--there
                    is an Owen buried there, but is too young to have been a brother to Elisha)

                    Regards,
                    Mary Winn Anderson