RE: [jacksongenealogy]Look up help needed

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2003
      I am hoping you can help me with some information. I am looking for
      a birth certificate for George Washington Henshaw(Hinshaw) born Oct 10,
      1852. I think he was born in Jackson Co. I think his parents were
      Jasper Hinshaw and Mary Ann Sanders married in Jackson Co Feb 13, 1852
      (p28). I am thinking that Mary Ann Sanders married again Feb 11, 1862
      (p161) to Joseph B Saunders in Jackson co, so maybe Jasper Hinshaw died
      during that interval. Anything on any of the above events would be
      appreciated.
      I am Judy Benton and my husband is a ggson to G W Henshaw. If we
      can connect G W to Jasper, I will have information for others
      researching this name.
      We live in Haskell Tx and I am willing to do lookups here for anyone
      needing help.
      My address is Judy Benton-------505 N Ave F-------Haskell Tx 79521.
      If you have time to look and find any records, I will pay for the
      records and postage, and a bit for the researcher. Thank you----Judy
    • Ann Chambless
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2003
        Birth certificates were not State mandated in any of the Alabama
        counties until 1908. Birth and death records were not kept locally
        except in rare circumstances. Therefore, there are no official
        government records for births in Jackson County in the 1850s, 1860s,
        etc. Unless one can locate Bible records for birth dates, the
        researcher has little chance of proving these dates except by grave
        markers or military pension applications which sometimes give at least
        the year the applicant was born.
        Birth and death records since 1908 may be ordered from The Bureau of
        Vital Statistics, Department of Public Health, Montgomery, AL 36104.
        Ann B. Chambless
      • hhf1801 <halfos@bellsouth.net>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2003
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, herbert gullatt
          <blackcloud27030@y...> wrote:

          > There is a T. T. Foster listed as marrying Louisia Wimberly on 08
          Jan 1879 in the Marriages of Jackson Co. posted on www.algenweb.com
          this maybe you Thomas Foster.

          > Clay Gullatt.

          Clay-

          Thank you for the reply - from what I've been able to find, T.T.'s
          children don't match up. There are several lines of Fosters from the
          area; my guess is they were related, and the common ancestor is T.T's
          father or G-father. Sigh - still looking for that one piece of the
          puzzle...

          Thank you,

          Hal
        • herbert gullatt
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2003
            Hal
            1.The Foster you are looking for is Thomas B. Foster b. Feb 1872 d. 18 Feb 1951 m 06 Mar 1892 Fannie Harper b. 13 Mar 1871 d. 19Jan 1938. Children 1920 Jackson Co. AL Census Ernest G. age 20, Erskine B. age 20, Harold T. age 18, Andrew J. age 15, Robert L. age 11, Gordon T. age 09.
            2. Fannie Harper's grandfather Benjamin Harper was brother to my Great-grandmother Malissa Payne Harper Gullatt.
            Clay Gullatt
            "hhf1801 <halfos@...>" <halfos@...> wrote:--- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, herbert gullatt
            <blackcloud27030@y...> wrote:

            > There is a T. T. Foster listed as marrying Louisia Wimberly on 08
            Jan 1879 in the Marriages of Jackson Co. posted on www.algenweb.com
            this maybe you Thomas Foster.

            > Clay Gullatt.

            Clay-

            Thank you for the reply - from what I've been able to find, T.T.'s
            children don't match up. There are several lines of Fosters from the
            area; my guess is they were related, and the common ancestor is T.T's
            father or G-father. Sigh - still looking for that one piece of the
            puzzle...

            Thank you,

            Hal

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Percy B. Keel
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2003
              Richard, the Henshaw family lived in Gurley,AL and they were from Jackson
              Co.

              They moved to Scottsboro and owned the Scottsboro Funeral Home. Most of the
              older ones are deceased, but some of the offspring still own it. The one in
              Gurley was Frank Henshaw.
              Percy.
              > I am hoping you can help me with some information. I am looking for
              > a birth certificate for George Washington Henshaw(Hinshaw) born Oct 10,
              > 1852. I think he was born in Jackson Co. I think his parents were
              > Jasper Hinshaw and Mary Ann Sanders married in Jackson Co Feb 13, 1852
              > (p28). I am thinking that Mary Ann Sanders married again Feb 11, 1862
              > (p161) to Joseph B Saunders in Jackson co, so maybe Jasper Hinshaw died
              > during that interval. Anything on any of the above events would be
              > appreciated.
              > I am Judy Benton and my husband is a ggson to G W Henshaw. If we
              > can connect G W to Jasper, I will have information for others
              > researching this name.
              > We live in Haskell Tx and I am willing to do lookups here for anyone
              > needing help.
              > My address is Judy Benton-------505 N Ave F-------Haskell Tx 79521.
              > If you have time to look and find any records, I will pay for the
              > records and postage, and a bit for the researcher. Thank you----Judy

            • Vicki L. Hill
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2003
                > I am hoping you can help me with some information. I am looking for
                > > a birth certificate for George Washington Henshaw(Hinshaw) born Oct 10,
                > > 1852. I think he was born in Jackson Co. I think his parents were
                > > Jasper Hinshaw and Mary Ann Sanders married in Jackson Co Feb 13, 1852
                > > (p28).

                Judy, unfortunately I don't have this sourced in my records, so take it
                with a grain of salt. But I show George Washington Hinshaw, Jr. , b. Oct.
                10, 1856, d. Oct 19, 1893 (both Jackson Co., AL), buried Old Bostick Hill
                Cemetery, Jackson Co., AL.

                I have his parents as George Washington Hinshaw, Sr., b. Dec 1822 and wife
                Elizabeth Jane Robertson. This couple is also buried in the Old Bostick
                Hill Cemetery.

                I don't have a Jasper Hinshaw (Henshaw) in my database, so I don't know how
                he fits in with this family.

                I'm not a Henshaw, but I descend from the Vandiver and Hall families, who
                married into the Henshaws in Jackson Co.

                Vicki Hill
                Texas