Migrations to Texas

  • TSims97447@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2003
      pm@...(Richard Matthews) wrote:

      How many others on the list have found their families followed a similar
      migration to TX? And, do any of us know why?

      1907 - One of my family members with family moved to New Mexico, Texas, back
      to New Mexico for government land according to a letter she wrote. Several
      of her brothers owned some property and oil wells in the area. The brothers
      moved back to Jackson Co, AL, but continued to draw payments from mineral
      rights on the wells. I don't know the year oil drilling started, but might
      be worth researching.......Gail

    • Ray Shirley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2003
        TSims97447@... wrote:

        >pm@...(Richard Matthews) wrote:
        >
        >How many others on the list have found their families followed a similar
        >migration to TX? And, do any of us know why?
        >
        >Most of our ancestors provided for their families by farming. Many families had limited land to grow their crops and that meant the land would support a limited number of persons. They also tended to have large families. As the children reached maturity, they could either stay put and starve or move on in search of enough available land to support them. My grandparents farmed sixty acres of land in Jackson County. They also had thirteen children. How in the world could they support fourteen families on sixty acres of land?

        Ray Shirley

      • ShirlyWms@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2003
          Reading about the reasons for a migration like the one from AL to TX has been
          interesting, but I would like some help with another aspect of this. How have
          you all discovered this link? Texas is a big state with many counties; I know
          because I live there. The problem I am having is that my grandfather is
          listed on the 1920 Madison County census, but I can't find him anywhere in AL
          earlier. The 1920 census lists his birthplace as AL. My Dad remembers him
          talking about his people in TX, and I thought maybe they moved away from AL
          shortly after his birth, and then he moved back as a young man.

        • Regina Pipes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2003
            My GOLD family moved to Jackson County from Lincoln County, Tn. While
            researching in Fayettville library one day I found an article by the
            title something about going to Texas. I know some of my GOLD and
            HOLLAND family were mentioned in this article. I have it somewhere in
            my files and I will post it once I find it. Most of my GOLD family
            stopped at that time in Missouri. I know that some of then in later
            years went to Ca. It is a interesting part of history to read about.
            It amazes me how much our families traveled back then.
            Regina GRIDER PIPES
            Austin, Texas

          • Percy B. Keel
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2003