Re: [jacksongenealogy] Migration to Tx.

  • Charles Edwin Austin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
      If the migration you speak of was after the Civil War note that times were
      very bad in AL for much of the rest of the 1800s. I understand that perhaps
      30% of AL's population left from 1866-1900, most to Texas.

      Yes, land was $0.50 to $1.00 per acre around Ft Worth, and perhaps the same,
      or less farther west. In addition, we had a severe drought ca 1870-1880 in
      the TennAlaGa region.

      Charles Austin
      TennAlaGa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
        All,
        Having read Michner's book, TEXAS, I can perhaps offer a theory. In the
        last half of the 1800's on up to the present, cotton has been a primary crop
        in Jackson County. In the lat 1800's, before the inexpensive fertilizer
        made possible by TVA, the soil began to wear out especially for cotton. The
        farmers followed the fertile areas and many wound up in the panhandle of
        Texas and even in West Texas where the aquafers would support cotton
        farming.

        Earl Reed
        Dayton, TN

        > I am not too sure as to why they moved to that area of TX. I agree, it
        must
        > have been for the land being almost given away. There were many problems
        > with the Indian raids, from what I have read. So why else would they have
        > wanted to be there than the land being cheap.
        >
        > But, I also believe it had something to do with the family migrations. My
        > belief is that there were earlier ones that left Jackson Co and came to
        that
        > part of TX. The nephews, cousins, etc followed in the later years. I
        just
        > wish I could connect to some of those earlier ones.......
        >
        > The panhandle is not too far from Palo Pinto Co. Mineral Wells is the
        major
        > city there, but Wichita Falls and Amarillo are not too far to the north,
        we
        > are looking at the same area of TX.
        >
        > Rayedene

        AntiVirus]

        ---
        [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Integrity Online using Declude AntiVirus]