Re: [jacksongenealogy] Migrations to TX

  • Sylvia King
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
      My great-great-grandmother, Sarah Angelina Wallace Irby and some of her
      children, including my great grandfather, James Irby came to Texas from
      Jackson County after the Civil War. They settled in Comanche County and the
      Eastland County in Central Texas. The reason they came here was to buy
      cheap 'Railroad Land'. When Texas joined the US in 1845 the state kept its
      public lands. Some of that land was given to the railroads as an inducement
      to bring the railroads through. Other land was given to State Schools and
      to the builders of the state capitol. This land was sold very cheap to
      settlers.
      Sylvia
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
        >This seems to be a common occurance for the Jackson Co families.
        >So, their route appears to be Jackson Co AL > Johnson Co AR > Saline Co AR >
        >Palo Pinto Co TX.
        >
        >Rusk Co, Coryell Co, Palo Pinto Co are in the same area of TX.

        Actually no, these are not in the same area of TX, even by today's
        standards Rusk Co. is just 1 county west of the Louisiana state line. Palo
        Pinto Co, by contrast, is about 200 miles to the west, between Fort Worth
        and Abilene. And someone else mentioned Amarillo, which is even more
        hundreds of miles away - especially long distances for the 1800's.

        I know some Vandivers/Vandevers and Halls from Jackson Co. went to Denton
        Co., TX, just north of Dallas. It is Rusk Co. that bewilders me - or more
        specificially, why my g-grandparents moved in this fashion:

        Paint Rock Valley, Jackson Co, AL - Denton Co., TX - Clark Co., AR - Rusk
        Co, TX.

        That is a lot of traveling for the 19th century, and definitely NOT in a
        straight line.

        It may always be one of life's mysteries....

        Vicki Hill
      • Jeanette
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
          A branch of my Henson family went to Rusk Co., TX. also, and in the Georgia
          Archives there is a large file of Henson letters that were written to the
          folks in Tx from Ga. and the folks in Tx to the folks they left behind in
          Ga. Very interesting.....the ones in Ga. were always sending peach trees
          and apple trees (starts) to the ones in TX. And so it goes....its neat
          when you can find where they migrated to from the older areas. Jeanette.

        • Jeanette
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
            They could afford more land and larger farms in Tx. for one thing. Old
            timers started feeling crowded in the earlier states, like Ga. and Va. and
            even Tn. Jeanette.

          • rlmw63@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14, 2003
              My ancestors from Jackson Co. Al migrated to Texsas in the early 1900. Does
              anyone have information on Dolberry's from Jackson Co. Al. My gggrandfather
              Absalom James Dolberry settled in Eastland Co. Tx.

              Rhonda