Re: [jacksongenealogy] Migrations to TX

  • hwj
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14 5:19 AM
      I'm told by the older family Gilliams that came through here and on to Rusk
      County Texas that farm land wore out was one of the reasons people moved on.
      This was more likely caused by poor farm practice than anything. In Franklin
      county Tenn. between 1850 and 1860 over 200 Gilliams picked up lock stock
      and barrell and moved into Texas. We are just now getting all them sorted
      out . They was a few that was rubbed off and left in Miss. Ark. and here in
      Jackson County.

      Hugh Judge

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14 7:17 AM
        My great-great-grandmother, Sarah Angelina Wallace Irby and some of her
        children, including my great grandfather, James Irby came to Texas from
        Jackson County after the Civil War. They settled in Comanche County and the
        Eastland County in Central Texas. The reason they came here was to buy
        cheap 'Railroad Land'. When Texas joined the US in 1845 the state kept its
        public lands. Some of that land was given to the railroads as an inducement
        to bring the railroads through. Other land was given to State Schools and
        to the builders of the state capitol. This land was sold very cheap to
        settlers.
        Sylvia
        > This seems to be a common occurance for the Jackson Co families.
        > So, their route appears to be Jackson Co AL > Johnson Co AR > Saline Co AR
        >
        > Palo Pinto Co TX.
        >
        > Rusk Co, Coryell Co, Palo Pinto Co are in the same area of TX.
        >
        > How many others on the list have found their families followed a similar
        > migration to TX? And, do any of us know why?
        >
        > Rayedene Seal Graves
        > still in TX
        >

        > The migration/settlement pattern of early America is the explanation of
        the
        > reasons families moved on from one spot to another. As soon as an area
        > became anyting like safe and it looked as if settlement was going to be
        > allowed in a new area, many of our ancestors loaded the wagons and moved
        on
        > to what they hoped was something better. There were defined trails into
        all
        > of these areas so many times moving families settled near these
        established
        > routes.
        >
        > The same thing happened right here in Jackson County. Our defined trails
        > were the Tennessee River and the Savannah to Nashville Road that passed
        near
        > the northeastern end of the county. As soon as problems with the native
        > inhabitants in this area lessened whites started moving in (early 1800's)
        > After that Arkansas, Mo. and Texas began to open for settlement so some
        > people moved on.
        >
        > In my own family, some moved on and some stayed. I am a sixth generation
        > Jackson County resident but I also have kin in Arkansas, Mo, Texas, and
        > Oklahoma from those who left Jackson County and went on to the western
        > settlements. My family came here from the Savannah area and other parts of
        > Georgia before the county was a county.
        >
        > I know that to really understand genealogy one has to study geography and
        > history too.
        >
        > Richard

      • Vicki L. Hill
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14 7:45 AM
          >This seems to be a common occurance for the Jackson Co families.
          >So, their route appears to be Jackson Co AL > Johnson Co AR > Saline Co AR >
          >Palo Pinto Co TX.
          >
          >Rusk Co, Coryell Co, Palo Pinto Co are in the same area of TX.

          Actually no, these are not in the same area of TX, even by today's
          standards Rusk Co. is just 1 county west of the Louisiana state line. Palo
          Pinto Co, by contrast, is about 200 miles to the west, between Fort Worth
          and Abilene. And someone else mentioned Amarillo, which is even more
          hundreds of miles away - especially long distances for the 1800's.

          I know some Vandivers/Vandevers and Halls from Jackson Co. went to Denton
          Co., TX, just north of Dallas. It is Rusk Co. that bewilders me - or more
          specificially, why my g-grandparents moved in this fashion:

          Paint Rock Valley, Jackson Co, AL - Denton Co., TX - Clark Co., AR - Rusk
          Co, TX.

          That is a lot of traveling for the 19th century, and definitely NOT in a
          straight line.

          It may always be one of life's mysteries....

          Vicki Hill
        • Jeanette
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 14 9:47 AM
            A branch of my Henson family went to Rusk Co., TX. also, and in the Georgia
            Archives there is a large file of Henson letters that were written to the
            folks in Tx from Ga. and the folks in Tx to the folks they left behind in
            Ga. Very interesting.....the ones in Ga. were always sending peach trees
            and apple trees (starts) to the ones in TX. And so it goes....its neat
            when you can find where they migrated to from the older areas. Jeanette.

          • Jeanette
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 14 9:51 AM
              They could afford more land and larger farms in Tx. for one thing. Old
              timers started feeling crowded in the earlier states, like Ga. and Va. and
              even Tn. Jeanette.

            • rlmw63@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 14 7:00 PM
                My ancestors from Jackson Co. Al migrated to Texsas in the early 1900. Does
                anyone have information on Dolberry's from Jackson Co. Al. My gggrandfather
                Absalom James Dolberry settled in Eastland Co. Tx.

                Rhonda